1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Converting function to Quadratic form

1. Feb 13, 2010 #1
    1. Hi everyone. I'm looking for help with converting this function to quadratic form.

2. The function is f(x1,x2)=(x2-x1)^4 + (12*x1*x2) - x1 + x2 - 3.

The quadratic form I need to convert to is: f(x)=(1/2)x'Qx - x'b + h

where x is a vector=[x1 x2]', '=transpose, Q and b are vectors, and h is the constant. Also, Q is symmetric and positive definite (Q=Q' > 0).

3. The trouble I'm running into is that f(x1,x2) is 4th order, and the examples I have convert only 2nd order functions to the f(x) quadratic objective format above.

I hit a wall when I expand the quadratic to:
    -b1 x1 + 0.5 a x1^2 - b2 x2 + 0.5 b x1 x2 + 0.5 c x1 x2 + 0.5 d x2^2
    where Q=[a, b; c, d] and b=[b1; b2] and try to figure out the variables.

In case your interested, I'm looking for this info to solve a steepest descent problem, where the varying ak value is ak=g(k)'g((k))/( g(k)'Qg(k) ) where g(k)=Qx(k) - b.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Here's something that might be helpful, although it has been many years since I did anything with quadratic forms.

You have f(x1,x2)=(x2 - x1)4 + 12x1x2 - x1 + x2 - 3.

Let u = (x2 - x1)2, and let v = x1x2.
    Then your function can be written as
    u2 + u + 12v - 3
    = u2 + u + 1/4 + 12 v - 13/4
    = (u + 1/2)2 + 12v - 13/4.
    This could be viewed as quadratic in u and v, but with a coefficient of 0 on the v2 term.

Hope this helps.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook