Converting (having major trouble)

• Thread starter BunDa4Th
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the conversation is about converting SI units and determining the cost per joule for a given amount of energy. The initial confusion is cleared up with the understanding that 1 W = 1 J/s and 1 kWh = 3600000 W*s. The cost is then calculated to be 7 cents per 3 600 000 joules, and the task is to determine the cost per joule.
BunDa4Th
I have a link to the image i am having trouble with it is D where i have to convert one SI unit, but really confuse how to do it.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9623/webassignvy9.jpg

any help or explanation on how do the conversion would be very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I'll get you started. From your responses to the quiz, it is clear that you realize that:

1 W = 1 J/s

Therefore, 1 J = 1 W*s

A joule of energy is the amount of energy expended after one second by something that uses one watt of power.

Therefore

1 kWh = ? W*s

well, how many watts in a kilowatt? How many seconds in an hour? It's really as simple as that!

1 kWh = (10^3 W)(3600 sec.) = 3600000 W*s

BTW, its not a quiz it's homework given to us to review for the quiz/test.

Last edited:
Ok, hw. Cool...

So your answer looks right to me. In which case, if I'm reading your homework right, the cost is 7 cents per 3 600 000 joules = whatever

Let me know if that gives you the right answer!

7 cent is incorrect which i have tried earlier.

No no no! It's 7 cents for every kWh = 3600000 J. They want to know what it is on a PER JOULE basis. Now that you have the number of joules in a kWh, you can easily calculate the unit price PER JOULE.

cepheid said:
the cost is 7 cents per 3 600 000 joules = whatever

You were supposed to calculate the "whatever". That is your answer.

Last edited:

1. What is the process of converting and why do people have major trouble with it?

Converting refers to the process of changing or transforming something from one form to another. In terms of religion, it often refers to a person changing their beliefs and converting to a different faith. People may have trouble with this process because it can involve letting go of deeply held beliefs and adjusting to a new way of thinking and living.

2. What are some common challenges people face when converting?

Some common challenges people may face when converting include difficulty understanding new religious concepts and practices, feeling pressure from family and friends who do not support the conversion, and facing discrimination or rejection from their previous religious community.

3. How long does the process of converting typically take?

The process of converting can vary greatly from person to person and depend on a variety of factors, such as the individual's previous beliefs and experiences, their level of commitment, and the support and resources available to them. It can take anywhere from a few months to several years.

4. Is converting a one-time event or an ongoing process?

Converting can be both a one-time event and an ongoing process. The initial conversion may involve a formal ceremony or declaration, but the individual may continue to learn and grow in their new faith for the rest of their life.

5. What should someone consider before deciding to convert?

Before deciding to convert, it is important for someone to carefully consider their reasons for wanting to convert, the potential challenges and sacrifices they may face, and whether they are fully committed to their new faith. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from religious leaders and individuals who have gone through the conversion process themselves.