Converting phasor to time domain

In summary, the conversation is about converting phasors into the time domain. The speaker is confused because they have found different methods for converting and is specifically trying to convert -j. The notes provided suggest finding the Im(phasor), sketching the phasor on a complex plane, and describing the angle associated with the line drawn. The speaker is unsure of the correct angle and magnitude to use. The notes also mention that the frequency is not included in the phasor and clarify the relationship between phasors and time expressions. The speaker receives clarification on the correct angle and magnitude to use.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

af912705e8.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am extremely confused. Everywhere I go to look on how to convert phasors into time domain I get a different answer. I am trying to convert -j to the time domain. My notes says to find the Im(phasor). I have explained in the image above what my lecture notes say, what the question is and what my answer is.

Here is the provided answer in the notes:
cc0c5f1fb6.png

Can anyone provide me with a universal method ?

Physics news on Phys.org
CoolDude420 said:
I am trying to convert -j to the time domain.
First, sketch the given phasor on the complex plane, with x-axis Real and y-axis Imaginary.

764c31500c.jpg

Right.

There is a standard way to describe angles, on a graph. What angle would you associate with the line you have drawn? (For this angle, we need both magnitude and sign.)

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
Right.

There is a standard way to describe angles, on an graph. What angle would you associate with the line you have drawn? (For this angle, we need magnitude and sign.)

Measuring from the positive side of the X axis, I would say an angle of -90degrees.

Angle should be -90 degrees I think. or - pi/2 rads

CoolDude420 said:
peakI am extremely confused. Everywhere I go to look on how to convert phasors into time domain I get a different answer. I am trying to convert -j to the time domain. My notes says to find the Im(phasor). I have explained in the image above what my lecture notes say, what the question is and what my answer is.

Here is the provided answer in the notes:
cc0c5f1fb6.png

Can anyone provide me with a universal method ?
Note that (1) the frequency (1000 Hz here) is not included in the phasor.
(2) you have assumed 1V peak. More generally, a phasor is Vpkexp(jθ) ⇔ Vpksin(ωt + θ).
But you have the phase right; -j = exp(-jπ/2). This is an identity. And -jπ/2 = -90 deg so the phase is -90 deg and the time expression is what you wrote above.

CoolDude420 said:
Angle should be -90 degrees I think. or - pi/2 rads
Right. That's the angle/phase taken care of.

What is the magnitude (i.e., length) of the line you drew on that graph?

1. What is a phasor?

A phasor is a mathematical representation of a sinusoidal wave, consisting of a magnitude and phase angle. It is often used in electrical engineering and physics to simplify calculations involving sinusoidal signals.

2. Why do we need to convert phasors to the time domain?

Converting phasors to the time domain allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a sinusoidal signal over time. This is important in various applications, such as in circuit analysis and signal processing.

3. How do you convert a phasor to the time domain?

To convert a phasor to the time domain, we use the inverse Fourier transform. This involves taking the magnitude and phase of the phasor and using them to calculate the amplitude and frequency of the corresponding sinusoidal signal.

4. What is the significance of the phase angle in a phasor?

The phase angle in a phasor represents the shift in time between the original sinusoidal signal and its representation in the complex plane. It is important in determining the relationship between different sinusoidal signals and in analyzing the behavior of systems with multiple signals.

5. Can phasors be used for non-sinusoidal signals?

No, phasors are only applicable to sinusoidal signals. For non-sinusoidal signals, other mathematical representations, such as the Fourier series or the Laplace transform, are used to analyze their behavior in the time domain.