Converting PyGame 2 axis joystick float to 360 angle

In summary, the conversation discusses converting a joystick's two axis float to a 360 angle for a game and using Atan2 as the best approach. There is also a mention of checking the center with an if condition and the issue being solved through additional research.
archieab
I would like to convert my joystick's two axis float (horizontal and vertical) to a 360 angle that can be used to set a players direction in my game. From my research, I've found the best route to take is using Atan2.

Variables:
Code:
self.rot = 0
horaxis = joy1.get_axis(0)
veraxis = joy1.get_axis(1)

Demonstration Diagram: you are correct, it is drawn in MS Paint
Demo.png

Absolutely any suggestions/snippets for the code would be amazing!

Attachments

• Demo.png
    Demo.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 433
Technology news on Phys.org
archieab said:
From my research, I've found the best route to take is using Atan2.
So what is unclear? The atan2 function gets the x and y displacement as input, you have both.
The center could be checked with an additional if condition.

mfb said:
So what is unclear? The atan2 function gets the x and y displacement as input, you have both.
The center could be checked with an additional if condition.
Managed to solve the issue doing some extra research. Thanks for the reply.

1. How do I convert a PyGame 2 axis joystick float to a 360 angle?

The conversion process involves several steps. First, you need to retrieve the joystick input values using the PyGame joystick module. Then, you will need to use the math.atan2() function to calculate the angle in radians. Finally, you can convert the angle to a 360-degree range by multiplying it with 180/PI.

2. Can I use a different method instead of math.atan2() to convert the joystick input?

Yes, there are alternative methods you can use to convert the joystick input to an angle. Some options include the math.atan(), math.degrees(), or numpy.arctan2() functions. It's important to choose a method that suits your specific needs and preferences.

3. How can I handle negative joystick input values during the conversion process?

Negative joystick input values can be handled by using the math.atan2() function, which takes into account the sign of the input values. This means that the resulting angle will also have the appropriate sign, allowing for a smooth conversion process.

4. Is there a specific range for the joystick input values?

The range of the joystick input values can vary depending on the type of joystick being used. However, most joysticks have a range of -1 to 1 for each axis. It's important to check the documentation of your specific joystick to confirm the range of input values.

5. How can I convert the joystick input to a different range of angles (e.g. 0-180 degrees instead of 0-360 degrees)?

You can adjust the conversion process by changing the scaling factor used to convert the angle in radians to degrees. For example, if you want to convert the angle to a 0-180 degree range, you can use the formula angle_in_degrees = (angle_in_radians * 180/PI) / 2. This will give you an angle in the desired range.