Converting Solar Energy into Electrical Energy

In summary, the conversation is about a project involving the design and analysis of a solar powered motor with specific features. The speaker is a Mechanical Engineering student who is seeking help on how to calculate the amount of current that will be drawn by the motor from the battery. Another person suggests using knowledge from Physics 101 and mentions the significant difference in current compared to a car starter.
thekiso2009
I am currently working on a project that requires me to design and analyse a solar powered. My motor has features such; 36v (Max), 300A (Max), 93% efficiency, 2.5mΩ, 12kW (Max).

I used the maximum power and the efficiency to calculate the power input (from the battery). How do i calculate the amount of current that will be drawn by motor from the battery?

I am a Mechanical Engineering student
Thanx

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like a homework problem. Did you take Physics 101 yet? The current is easily over 50x the current drawn by the starter in my car with a 12-volt battery.
Bob S

for asking!

I can offer some insight into your project and the calculation you are trying to make. In order to calculate the amount of current that will be drawn by the motor from the battery, you will need to use the formula P=IV, where P is power, I is current, and V is voltage. Since you have already calculated the power input from the battery, you can rearrange the formula to solve for current (I=P/V). Using the values of 36V and 12kW, you can calculate that the current drawn by the motor from the battery will be approximately 333.33A. It is important to keep in mind that this is the maximum current that the motor can draw, and it may vary depending on the load and other factors. Additionally, you may also want to consider the effects of the motor's internal resistance (2.5mΩ) on the current drawn from the battery. Overall, it seems like you have a well-designed and efficient solar powered motor, and I wish you success in your project!

1. How does solar energy get converted into electrical energy?

Solar panels, also known as photovoltaic cells, use a process called the photovoltaic effect to convert sunlight into electricity. When sunlight hits the solar cells, it excites the electrons in the silicon atoms, causing them to flow and create an electrical current.

2. What is the efficiency of converting solar energy into electrical energy?

The efficiency of converting solar energy into electrical energy can vary depending on factors such as the type and quality of the solar panels, the amount of sunlight, and the location of the panels. On average, solar panels have an efficiency of around 15-20%, meaning they can convert 15-20% of the sunlight they receive into electricity.

3. How is the electricity from solar panels stored?

The electricity generated by solar panels can be stored in batteries for later use. This is especially useful for when there is no sunlight, such as at night. The electricity can also be fed into the grid and used by others, with the owner of the solar panels receiving credit for the energy they contribute.

4. Can solar energy be used to power an entire household?

Yes, solar energy can be used to power an entire household. The number of solar panels needed will depend on the energy needs of the household and the amount of sunlight in the area. In some cases, households can even generate more electricity than they need and sell it back to the grid.

5. Are there any environmental benefits to converting solar energy into electrical energy?

Yes, there are several environmental benefits to using solar energy. Solar energy is a renewable and clean source of energy, meaning it does not produce harmful emissions or contribute to climate change. It also reduces our reliance on fossil fuels, which are a finite and non-renewable resource.