1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting to Spherical Coordinates then integrating? Am I doing this right?

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    Converting to Spherical Coordinates....then integrating? Am I doing this right?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the integral ∫∫∫(x2z + y2z + z3) dz dy dx, where the left-most integral is from -2 to 2, the second -√(4-x2) to √(4-x2) and the right-most integral is from 2-√(4-x2-y2) to 2+√(4-x2-y2)

2. Relevant equations
    x=ρsin(phi)cos(θ)
    y=ρsin(phi)sin(θ)
    z=ρcos(phi)
    x2+y2+z22

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I need to convert to spherical coordinates. The first 2 integrals describe a region on the xy-plane that's a circle, centered at the origin, with a radius of 2. The distance from the origin I thought was from 0 to 4, as described the right-most integral from above. Then using the equations from above, I converted the integrand:

∫∫∫ρcos(phi)ρ2sin(phi) dρ d(phi) dθ

Left-most integral: 0 to 2*pi
    Middle: 0 to pi/2
    Right: 0 to 4

Final answer = 2144.67 (which does not feel right)

I'm fairly certain I am correct for the most part, except the right most integral in the spherical-converted integral. Anyone care to check if I did everything correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Converting to Spherical Coordinates....then integrating? Am I doing this right?

Hello emzee1. Welcome to PF !

The volume element in spherical coordinates is [itex]dV=\rho^2\sin(\phi)\,d\rho\,d\phi\,d\theta\ .[/itex]

The integrand: [itex]x^2z+y^2z+z^3=(x^2+y^2+z^2)z \ \to\ \rho^2\left(\rho\cos(\phi)\right)=\rho^3\cos(\phi)\ .[/itex]

4. May 29, 2012 #3
    Re: Converting to Spherical Coordinates....then integrating? Am I doing this right?

Thanks for that SammyS, I guess that was a mental mistake on my part. What about the limits for the integral for the spherical-integral? I don't think I did those correctly...

5. May 29, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look at the limits of integration for z.

They describe a sphere of radius 2, centered at (x, y, z) = (0, 0, 2) .

Write that equation in spherical coordinates.

6. May 29, 2012 #5

So I converted the equation of the sphere:

x2+y2+(z-2)2 = 4

to:

ρ2-4ρcos(phi) = 0

solving for ρ:

ρ= 4cos(phi)

so the integral limits, in terms of dρ: 0 to 4cos(phi) ?
    Then the limits of d(phi): 0 to pi/2
    And the limits of dθ: 0 to 2*pi?

Does this sound correct?

7. May 29, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks better --- correct.

I'm notorious for overlooking details! LOL !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook