Triple integral in spherical coordinates

In summary, the problem is to calculate the volume of the region contained within a sphere and outside a cone in spherical coordinates. The cone is downward opening and peaks at z = 4. The attempt at a solution involved converting the sphere into spherical coordinates and the cone into an equation of ρ=4/(cos(ϕ)+sin(ϕ)). This will serve as the limit for the integration of ρ, which will be integrated in a later step.
dickyroberts

Homework Statement

The problem is to calculate the volume of the region contained within a sphere and outside a cone in spherical coordinates.

Sphere: x2+y2+z2=16

Cone: z=4-√(x2+y2)

Homework Equations

I am having difficulty converting the equation of the cone into spherical coordinates. Judging by the graph I was able to deduce from the formulas (working in rectangular coordinates), I believe I will need the cone equation as the inside ρ limit.

The Attempt at a Solution

Converting the sphere into spherical coordinates:

x2+y2+z2=16

ρ2=16

ρ=4 a sphere with radius 4 centered at the origin, which is consistent with my graph.

I recognize that the cone is downward opening and peaks at z=0. My attempt to convert the equation was as follows:

ρcos[itex]\phi[/itex]=4-√(ρ2sin2[itex]\phi[/itex]cos2θ+ρ2sin2[itex]\phi[/itex]sin2θ)

ρcos[itex]\phi[/itex]=4-ρsin[itex]\phi[/itex]

ρ(cos[itex]\phi[/itex]+sin[itex]\phi[/itex])=4

I can't figure out how to further simplify this formula. All the examples of cones in spherical coordinates I came across were peaked at the origin and simplified nicely to [itex]\phi[/itex]=(some arbitrary angle), but I couldn't find any that were more complicated.

This is my first post so please let me know if I've done anything wrong, and thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi dickyroberts! welcome to pf! :smile:
dickyroberts said:
I am having difficulty converting the equation of the cone into spherical coordinates.

i'm not surprised! :rolleyes:

just because it's a sphere, that's no reason to jump straight in and convert to spherical coordinates! :wink:

it has no spherical symmetry, so spherical coordinates just makes it more complicated :redface:

you could use cylindrical coordinates (since it obviously has cylindrical symmetry),

or it might be easier to stick to Cartesian coordinates (since you already have them), and slice the region into horizontal slices of height dz …

try both ways :smile:

btw …
I recognize that the cone is downward opening and peaks at z=0.
… (you've probably worked this out by now, but anyway:) no, it peaks at z = 4 :wink:

tiny-tim, my interpretation of the problem is that we are required to use spherical coordinates.

dickeyroberts, you say you got [itex]\rho(cos(\phi)+ sin(\phi))= 4[/itex]. Okay, what do you get with [itex]\rho= 4/(cos(\phi)+ sin(\phi))[/itex]?

Hey tiny-tim, thanks for the welcome!

and my mistake, that was a typo. I meant to say the cone peaks at z=4, that wouldn't have been a very good start :wink:

HallsofIvy - I think you may have just solved my problem!

For some reason I had the idea that I needed the equation of the cone to be ϕ=(arbitrary angle) because that's what all the examples I could find had. Not sure what I was thinking; your last comment helped me realize that I can just use the equation

ρ=4/(cos(ϕ)+sin(ϕ)

as the limit in the integration of ρ since ϕ will be integrated in a later step.

The biggest downside of doing an online course is not having classmates to bounce ideas off of :rolleyes:

Thanks guys!

What is a triple integral in spherical coordinates?

A triple integral in spherical coordinates is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region that is described using spherical coordinates, which use a radius, an angle from the z-axis, and an angle from the x-axis. It is also known as a multiple integral because it involves integrating a function over three variables.

How is a triple integral in spherical coordinates different from a triple integral in rectangular coordinates?

The main difference between a triple integral in spherical coordinates and one in rectangular coordinates is the way the region is described. In spherical coordinates, the region is described using a radius and two angles, whereas in rectangular coordinates, it is described using three perpendicular sides. Additionally, the limits of integration are different for each type of coordinate system.

What is the formula for a triple integral in spherical coordinates?

The formula for a triple integral in spherical coordinates is ∫∫∫ f(r, θ, φ) r² sin φ dr dθ dφ, where r is the radius, θ is the angle from the z-axis, φ is the angle from the x-axis, and f(r, θ, φ) is the function being integrated.

What are the advantages of using a triple integral in spherical coordinates?

One advantage of using a triple integral in spherical coordinates is that it can often simplify calculations for certain types of regions, such as spheres or cones. It can also be useful for solving physical problems that involve spherical symmetry, such as calculating the mass or charge distribution of a spherical object.

What are some real-world applications of triple integrals in spherical coordinates?

Triple integrals in spherical coordinates have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. They can be used to calculate the volume and mass of planets, the electric field and potential around a charged sphere, and the moment of inertia of a rotating object. They are also commonly used in solving problems involving fluid flow and heat transfer.