1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convertion from and to spherical - cartesian

1. Jun 9, 2012 #1
    I googled it, and it says:
    [itex]\dot{x}[/itex]=[itex]\dot{r}[/itex]sinθcos∅ + (rcosθcos∅)[itex]\dot{θ}[/itex] - (rsinθsin∅)[itex]\dot{∅}[/itex]
    and so on for [itex]\dot{y}[/itex] & [itex]\dot{z}[/itex]

And then they wrote "We will also need the inverse transformation obtained by solving the equations above w.r.t [itex]\dot{r}[/itex], [itex]\dot{θ}[/itex], and [itex]\dot{∅}[/itex]

for example they got:
    [itex]\dot{r}[/itex]=sinθcos∅[itex]\dot{x}[/itex]+sinθsin∅[itex]\dot{y}[/itex] + cosθ[itex]\dot{z}[/itex]
    and so on, my question how did they deduced the latter from the former equations?

Here's the link if you want to see them clearer:
    http://www.physics.sc.edu/~yar/Phys701_2009/homework/hw9_solutions.pdf [Broken]

Just what's the procedure?
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi M. next! :smile:
    It's just algebra (plus standard trigonometric identities) …

for example, the r' component of the RHSs is r'(sin2θcos2∅ + sin2θsin2∅ + cos2θ) = r' :wink:

4. Jun 9, 2012 #3
    Hmm.. I mean how do we get r' from (x', y', z')?

5. Jun 9, 2012 #4
    I solved three equations with three unknowns and it worked but after so much effort! Thanks anyways Tim.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook