Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conveying inner product with words

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    I was wondering about the proper way to say, [itex]\langle[/itex]A[itex]|[/itex]B[itex]\rangle[/itex] .

I have recently heard, "The inner product of A with B." But I'm not sure if this is correct. Does anyone know the proper order in which to place A and B in the sentence?

As a simple example: Suppose you're speaking with someone on the phone. Then one way to convey the expression, [itex]\frac{x^{2} + 2d}{5}[/itex] , is "x squared plus two d all over five."
    How would you do the same with [itex]\langle[/itex]A[itex]|[/itex]B[itex]\rangle[/itex] ?

If someone could also point me in the direction of some literature where this is exemplified, that would very kind.
    I must have missed this some where along the line, and I can't seem to find a solid answer anywhere.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2
    The inner product of A and B with A in the first slot. This order qualifier is necessary in the case of a complex vector space. For reals the order doesn't matter.

4. Nov 20, 2013 #3
    I appreciate the response. Anywhere I may be able to find an explicit example of this?

5. Nov 20, 2013 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since western languages are read and written from left to right, I don't think "the inner product of A and B" is any more ambiguous than "A minus B," which nobody would interpret as meaning ##B-A##.

Of course if you are in an environment where left-to-right writing is not a universal rule, you might need to be more careful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook