Conveying inner product with words

In summary, the proper way to say \langleA|B\rangle is "the inner product of A and B with A in the first slot." This order qualifier is necessary in the case of a complex vector space, but for reals, the order doesn't matter. It is also important to consider the reading and writing direction, as in some environments, the order may need to be specified more clearly.
qubyte
I was wondering about the proper way to say, [itex]\langle[/itex]A[itex]|[/itex]B[itex]\rangle[/itex] .

I have recently heard, "The inner product of A with B." But I'm not sure if this is correct. Does anyone know the proper order in which to place A and B in the sentence?

As a simple example: Suppose you're speaking with someone on the phone. Then one way to convey the expression, [itex]\frac{x^{2} + 2d}{5}[/itex] , is "x squared plus two d all over five."
How would you do the same with [itex]\langle[/itex]A[itex]|[/itex]B[itex]\rangle[/itex] ?

If someone could also point me in the direction of some literature where this is exemplified, that would very kind.
I must have missed this some where along the line, and I can't seem to find a solid answer anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
The inner product of A and B with A in the first slot. This order qualifier is necessary in the case of a complex vector space. For reals the order doesn't matter.

Likes 1 person
TheOldHag said:
The inner product of A and B with A in the first slot. This order qualifier is necessary in the case of a complex vector space. For reals the order doesn't matter.

I appreciate the response. Anywhere I may be able to find an explicit example of this?

Since western languages are read and written from left to right, I don't think "the inner product of A and B" is any more ambiguous than "A minus B," which nobody would interpret as meaning ##B-A##.

Of course if you are in an environment where left-to-right writing is not a universal rule, you might need to be more careful.

The proper way to say \langleA|B\rangle is "the inner product of A with B." This follows the standard mathematical notation, where the first term in the inner product, A, is placed before the second term, B, and the angle brackets are read as "inner product." So, in your example, the expression would be conveyed as "the inner product of x squared plus two d all over five."

As for literature where this is exemplified, any introductory linear algebra textbook or course material should provide examples and explanations of inner products and their notation. You can also refer to mathematical resources online, such as Khan Academy or MIT OpenCourseWare, for further clarification.

Related to Conveying inner product with words

What is "conveying inner product with words"?

"Conveying inner product with words" is a technique used in scientific communication to describe complex mathematical concepts using language and verbal explanations.

Why is conveying inner product with words important in science?

Conveying inner product with words is important because it allows scientists to effectively communicate their research and findings to a wider audience, especially to those who may not have a strong background in mathematics.

How can I improve my skills in conveying inner product with words?

You can improve your skills in conveying inner product with words by practicing explaining mathematical concepts to non-experts, using analogies and everyday language, and seeking feedback from others.

What are some common challenges in conveying inner product with words?

Some common challenges in conveying inner product with words include finding the right words to accurately describe complex mathematical concepts, avoiding jargon, and ensuring that the explanation is clear and easy to understand.

Can conveying inner product with words be used in other fields besides science?

Yes, conveying inner product with words can be used in various fields besides science, such as economics, finance, and engineering. It is a useful skill for communicating complex ideas to a broader audience.