Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cooking for white people

1. Dec 6, 2008 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The restaurant where I get my Pho (a Vietnamese noodle soup) is run by a nice lady who makes special treats for me every time I visit. One time it was a peanut butter ball with tiny pieces of apple, another time it was tiny scoops of tuna fish salad. The last few times she has treated my to tiny scoops of potato salad. She watches eagerly until I have some of the potato salad, very anxious to know what I think of it, and asks for comments. She told me that when she lived in Alaska she had a white friend who had taught her how to make this. So naturally, she sees me, the whitest person on earth, and decides I will go nuts over the potato salad. Of course, I have to make a big fuss over it to meet with her expectations. It's rather an interesting combination, though, to have your pho with a side of potato salad.

I am thinking about bringing her my Elvis Presley cookbook so she can learn some other "white people" recipes like 'nanner sandwiches. Maybe I will bring her a jar of Miracle Whip.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:rofl:

:surprised NOOOOOO!!!!!! The only "miracle" about miracle whip is that people eat that stuff. :yuck: There is no substitute for real mayonaise.

4. Dec 6, 2008 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder how long until she presents me with a dollop of carrot-raisin salad? Or maybe some kind of fruit in jello mold.

5. Dec 6, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Now you're talking my mother's cooking.

Of course she never met a vegetable that she couldn't cook to limpness.

6. Dec 6, 2008 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At least she didn't deep fry your salad.

7. Dec 6, 2008 #6

Evo

That will be next. I swear I remember watching a show where they did deep fry some sort of salad greens, like a ball of chopped salad.

I am so thankful that my mother came from France and I lived the first 14 years of my life without things like carrot raisin salad.

This made me think about the lime jello with cat food in it from Christmas Vacation. I want those Bullwinkle eggnog cups.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  8. Dec 6, 2008 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I need to rent Christmas vacation. Haven't seen it!

I just thought of another weird jello thing that I used to come across. There was some sort of gelatin mold that was made with lime jello mixed with cool whip. Strangest texture ever.

9. Dec 6, 2008 #8
  10. Dec 6, 2008 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

BWAAAHAHAA! I love Lileks!

Another abomination:

[​IMG]

11. Dec 6, 2008 #10

Evo

:surprised

12. Dec 6, 2008 #11
    Oh that is just plain scary looking! I have only one fond memory of jello, my Mother once made a ribbon or rainbow jello something, it was very pretty, in a Andy Warhol kind of way.
    I think you should give her the Elvis book, along with a jar of Jiff.

13. Dec 6, 2008 #12

Evo

Ahahahaa!!! I just read MIH's label "PF's Best Kurdt 2008"!!! :biggrin:

14. Dec 6, 2008 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course! How could I forget Jiff? And Marshmallow creme!

I was so surprised when I won!

(well, not really, I sorta went 3rd world dictator style and just appointed myself. If Kurdt wants it he has to jello wrestle me for it. Until then, the title is mine.)

15. Dec 6, 2008 #14
    mmm yummy fluffernutter sammiches!

16. Dec 6, 2008 #15
    Can I Jello wrestle you for it?

17. Dec 6, 2008 #16
    Living in another country is always enriching. I learn a lot, coming from France and living in Virginia. Who could possibly imagine that pumpkin pie was eatable ?

edit
    ok, I just checked the history of pumpkin pie...
    :rofl:

18. Dec 6, 2008 #17

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What in the heck is the recipe for that nasty dish?

My Hominy radar is blipping like crazy. That can't possibly be hominy and peas formed in jello with other scary vegetable like substances. That cook was mad at somebody when that was concocted.

Warning Will Robinson. Danger. Danger.

19. Dec 6, 2008 #18
    it looks a bit like congealed vegetable beef

20. Dec 6, 2008 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, but you will have to contend with Kurdt next. And he may up the stakes to Miracle Whip wrestling.

Please, dude. Your people eat snails.:tongue2:

I suspect that Veg-All canned vegetable mix had something to do with this crime.

21. Dec 6, 2008 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It also looks a bit like the very last thing I'd want to see when I'm seasick on a boat to Catalina.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?