What is the coolest nano-sized object you want to see a picture of?

In summary, eNtRopY is holding a contest to find a nano-sized object to scan and create a cool SEM picture for their personal website. They have noticed that many popular ideas such as ant faces and embryos have already been taken. Someone suggests looking at pictures of the HIV virus made with x-ray diffraction methods.
eNtRopY
Okay, this is kind of a contest. Name the something nano-sized you would like to see a picture of. I will consider all the submitted ideas, and scan the object, that would make the coolest picture, for all to see.

Why am I doing this? Well, I want to have a cool SEM picture (that I scanned) to put on my personal website, but it seems like all of the good ideas have already been taken by others (ant faces, embryos, etc).

Much obliged amigos.

eNtRopY

Physics news on Phys.org
I saw some neat pictures of the HIV virus that they had made with heroic x-ray diffraction methods (got a cristalized sample of the virus invasding a cell and used techniques unbelieveably beyond what was good work in my old day). They should be somewhere on the web and they are really cool; the virus reminds me of some old bravo flashing a fancy sword in your face with one hand while he stabs you from under his cloak with the other.

Originally posted by eNtRopY
Okay, this is kind of a contest. Name the something nano-sized you would like to see a picture of. I will consider all the submitted ideas, and scan the object, that would make the coolest picture, for all to see.

Why am I doing this? Well, I want to have a cool SEM picture (that I scanned) to put on my personal website, but it seems like all of the good ideas have already been taken by others (ant faces, embryos, etc).

Much obliged amigos.

eNtRopY

What is the minimum resolution?

1. What exactly is a nano-sized object?

A nano-sized object is an object that is measured in nanometers, which is one billionth of a meter. This means that it is incredibly small and can only be seen under a powerful microscope.

2. Why are nano-sized objects important in science?

Nano-sized objects have unique properties that differ from their larger counterparts, making them useful in a variety of scientific fields such as medicine, electronics, and materials science. They also have the potential to revolutionize technology and improve our everyday lives.

3. Can you give an example of a cool nano-sized object?

One example of a cool nano-sized object is a carbon nanotube. These are tiny cylindrical structures made of carbon atoms that have a diameter of only a few nanometers. They are incredibly strong, lightweight, and have a wide range of potential applications in areas such as electronics, aerospace, and medicine.

4. How are pictures of nano-sized objects taken?

Pictures of nano-sized objects are taken using powerful microscopes, such as scanning electron microscopes or atomic force microscopes. These microscopes use beams of electrons or a sharp probe to scan the surface of the object and create a detailed image.

5. What is the coolest nano-sized object you have ever seen a picture of?

One of the coolest nano-sized objects I have ever seen a picture of is a nanoflower. These are tiny structures made of silver nanoparticles that have been arranged into a flower-like shape. They have potential applications in nanoelectronics and nanomedicine.