Cool video on Color perception

In summary, the conversation discusses a video on the perception of color, specifically the difference between dichromatic red-green light and monochromatic yellow light. The video also explores why dichromatic red-blue light is not interpreted as a combination of red and blue, and the role of photoreceptors in color perception.
DrClaude
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
Very good video on how humans perceive colors.
There are been many threads at PF on the perception of color. I would like to share a good video on the subject, which contains many interesting visual effects.

This is from the Technology Connections channel, which has many videos of interest to our community. I encourage you to browse around.

Likes hutchphd, OmCheeto, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Biology news on Phys.org
Fascinating stuff.

In particular, I was impressed with the difference between dichromatic red-green light and monochromatic yellow light. I've always supposed that any given colour in the spectrum can be generated by a combination of the three primaries, but this video shows that it is not so.

More: one must wonder why dichromatic red-blue light is not interpreted as simply the middle point of red and blue (which would be somewhere in the green). It works elsewhere: the combination blue and green is perceived as a blue-green.

I guess that's not always true: red and green is not interpreted as a red-green - it is interpreted as yellow.

DaveC426913 said:
More: one must wonder why dichromatic red-blue light is not interpreted as simply the middle point of red and blue (which would be somewhere in the green). It works elsewhere: the combination blue and green is perceived as a blue-green.

Remember than human eyes contain three different types of photoreceptors that can detect either red, green or blue light. Dichromatic red-blue light is characterized not only by the activation of the red and blue photoreceptors, but also the absence of activation of green photoreceptors. Because red-blue light does not activate the green photoreceptors, the brain will interpret it as distinct from green.

In contrast, humans have no photoreceptors detecting wavelengths between blue and green, so we cannot easily distinguish between a combination of blue light + green light or blue-green light.

DrClaude said:
Summary: Very good video on how humans perceive colors.

There are been many threads at PF on the perception of color. I would like to share a good video on the subject, which contains many interesting visual effects.

This is from the Technology Connections channel, which has many videos of interest to our community. I encourage you to browse around.

This is great thanks!

What is color perception?

Color perception is the way our brains interpret and process the wavelengths of light that are reflected off objects. It is a complex process that involves both our eyes and our brain.

Why do different people see colors differently?

Different people see colors differently because of variations in the structure and function of their eyes and visual pathways, as well as differences in their individual experiences and cultural backgrounds.

How do colors affect our emotions and behavior?

Colors can have a significant impact on our emotions and behavior. Studies have shown that certain colors can elicit specific emotional responses, and can even influence our decision-making and perception of the world around us.

What role does light play in color perception?

Light is essential for color perception because it is the source of the wavelengths that our eyes detect and our brain processes. The intensity and quality of light can also affect how we perceive colors.

Can color perception be influenced by external factors?

Yes, color perception can be influenced by external factors such as lighting, background colors, and context. Our brain takes these factors into account when interpreting colors, which can lead to differences in perception.