Cooling of bottle, beyond homework

In summary, the homework statement is saying that if you want to cool a liquid inside from 22 degrees Celsius to 12 degrees Celsius, when the river is 8 degrees Celsius, then you have to let the bottle sit in the river for how long?
Vrbic

Homework Statement

For how long you have to let bottle in a river, if you want to cool a liquid inside from 22 °C to 12 °C, when river is 8 °C?

Homework Equations

Q=cm(T1-T2), Qc=l*S(T-Triver)/d *t

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve it for a case when we substitute in equation Qc for conduction of heat T by average temperature of bottle from starting and finishing state. But I believe it should be possible to solve it as a differential equation for changing "T" in Qc. But I don't know how to find out dependency T(t), t- time. Or should I do it some other way?

Thank you for your help and advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you taken a look at Newton's Law of Cooling?

Likes Vrbic
gneill said:
Have you taken a look at Newton's Law of Cooling?
Hello, thank you for response. No I didn't till now :) I'm looking for some relevant site, best is with some already solved problem, I could learn from it. Or what do you suggest?

Vrbic said:
Hello, thank you for response. No I didn't till now :) I'm looking for some relevant site, best is with some already solved problem, I could learn from it. Or what do you suggest?
I suggest a web search on "Newtons Law of Cooling example" :smile:

Vrbic said:
It seems relevant T-T0=(T-T0)exp(-kt). But I gues it is solution of some differential equation.

Vrbic said:
It seems relevant T-T0=(T-T0)exp(-kt). But I gues it is solution of some differential equation.
It is. You can find its derivation on the web easily. It begins with the rate of temperature change being proportional to the difference in temperature between the object and its environment.

Likes Vrbic
You have the two equations in your Relevant Equations. You just need to modify the first one a little to take into account the time dependence. Using your symbols, the transient heat balance is:
$$cm\frac{dT}{dt}=-l*S(T-T_{river})/d$$
where l is the thermal conductivity. This is the Newton cooling equation identified by gneill.

Chet

Likes Vrbic

What is the process of cooling a bottle?

The process of cooling a bottle involves transferring heat from the bottle to the surrounding environment, which causes a decrease in temperature and the bottle to become cooler.

What factors affect the cooling rate of a bottle?

The cooling rate of a bottle can be affected by several factors including the initial temperature of the bottle, the temperature of the surrounding environment, the material and size of the bottle, and the presence of any insulating materials.

How can I cool a bottle quickly?

To cool a bottle quickly, you can place it in a container filled with ice and water, as the ice will absorb heat from the bottle at a faster rate. You can also place the bottle in a freezer for a shorter amount of time compared to a refrigerator.

What is the best way to cool a bottle for long-term storage?

The best way to cool a bottle for long-term storage is to place it in a refrigerator, as the temperature is cooler and more consistent compared to a freezer. This will also help preserve the quality of the contents inside the bottle.

Why does a bottle feel colder to the touch when taken out of a cooler?

A bottle feels colder to the touch when taken out of a cooler because the cooler is at a lower temperature compared to the surrounding environment. This causes the heat from the bottle to transfer more quickly to the cooler, making the bottle feel colder.