Coordinate system transformation

Remember that x= rcos(\theta) and y= rsin(\theta).) So r= sqrt(x^2+y^2) and cos(\theta)= x/r. and sin(\theta)= y/r. So (2cos^2(\theta)- sin^2(\theta))\hat{i}+ 3cos(\theta)sin(\theta)\hat{j}= (2(x/r)^2- (y/r)^2)\hat{i}+ 3xy/r^2\hat{j} Simplified, this becomes: (2x^2- y^2)/(x^2+y^2)\hat{i}+ 3xy/(x^2+y^2)\hat{j}.
hjel0743
Can someone help me with the conversion of this equation to Cartesian coordinates:

2cosθr + sinθθ

(Due to formatting limitations, I just made the r_hat and theta_hat components bold-faced)

I know the answer ought to be -(3y2)/[(x2+y2)+1] but I've tried every variation of the 3 main coordinate transformation eqns that I can think of and haven't gotten anywhere. Those 3 eqns I'm talking about are y=rsinθ, x=rcosθ, and r=sqrt(x2+y2).

Any help would be great. (Not homework related, need to get this for some research I'm working on.)

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing I would do is convert [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex] to i and j: for a point whose radial line makes angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the positive x-axis, [itex]\hat{r}= cos(\theta)\hat{i}+ sin(\theta)\hat{j}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\theta}= -sin(\theta)\hat{i}+ cos(\theta)\hat{j}[/itex].

So [itex]2cos(\theta)\hat{r}+ sin(\theta)\hat(\theta)= 2cos(\theta)(cos(\theta)\hat{i}+ sin(\theta)\hat{j})+ sin(\theta)(sin(\theta)\hat{i}+ cos(\theta)\hat{j}[/itex][itex]= (2cos^2(\theta)- sin^2(\theta))\hat{i}+ 3cos(\theta)sin(\theta)\hat{j}[/itex]

Now, convert those trig functions into x, y.

1. What is a coordinate system?

A coordinate system is a mathematical system used to describe the location of points in space. It is typically defined by a set of axes and a reference point, and can be used to represent both two-dimensional and three-dimensional space.

2. Why do we need to transform between coordinate systems?

Coordinate system transformations are necessary when working with data or measurements that are referenced to different coordinate systems. By converting between coordinate systems, we can accurately compare and analyze data from different sources.

3. What are the most commonly used coordinate systems?

The most commonly used coordinate systems include Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, and geographic coordinates (such as latitude and longitude). Other coordinate systems, such as UTM and State Plane, are also commonly used for mapping and surveying purposes.

4. How do you perform a coordinate system transformation?

The process of performing a coordinate system transformation involves converting the coordinates of a point from one system to another using mathematical equations and formulas. This can be done manually or with the help of software programs or online tools.

5. What are some potential sources of error in coordinate system transformations?

Potential sources of error in coordinate system transformations include inaccuracies in the original data, differences in coordinate system definitions and parameters, and human error in performing the transformation calculations. It is important to carefully check and verify the results of a transformation to ensure accuracy.