Coordinate transformation for line integrals; quadrature rules

In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of a discontinuous finite element method and the computation of line integrals over the edges of a 2D-mesh element. The speaker is trying to evaluate the integral numerically using a 1D-quadrature rule, but is unsure if their mapping is correct. They are also seeking advice on FEM from more experienced users. Additionally, they recommend a helpful introductory text on FEM with programming examples, which covers their specific problem in Chapter 27.
hkcool
Hi all,

The context of this problem is as follows: I'm trying to implement a discontinuous finite element method and the formulation calls for the computation of line integrals over the edges of the mesh.

Anyway, more generally, I need to evaluate [itex]\int_{e}f(x,y)ds[/itex], where [itex]e[/itex] is a line segment (corresponding to the edge of a 2D-mesh element). I'm trying to compute this integral numerically using a 1D-quadrature rule on the interval [itex][-1,1][/itex], but I think perhaps my mapping is incorrect.

To begin, let [itex]\mathbf{\hat{x}}_{g}[/itex] be a quadrature point on the interval [itex][-1,1][/itex] (i.e. [itex]\mathbf{\hat{x}}_{g} = (\hat{x}_{g},0)[/itex]) with corresponding quadrature weight [itex]w_{g}[/itex]. Now there exists an affine mapping [itex]\zeta: [-1,1] \to e[/itex]. Thus, [itex]\mathbf{x}_{g} = \zeta(\mathbf{\hat{x}}_{g})[/itex] is on the line segment [itex]e[/itex].

But I'm confused how the integral should look now:
[tex]
\int_{e}f(x,y)ds \approx \sum_{k=1}^{n_{g}}w_{k}f(\mathbf{x}_{g})?
[/tex]

I know if I was trying to actually map the line of integration from [itex]e[/itex] to [itex][-1,1][/itex] then I would need to multiply the integrand by [itex]\zeta'[/itex], the derivative of the transformation, but that's not exactly what I'm trying to do here.

The problem: Using the quadrature rule as given above is actually not correct since my implementation in my code produces the wrong results using this quadrature rule. I'm assuming I'm missing some transformation factor, but am at a loss as to what it should be.

Also, if there is a section of this message board that is more tailored to finite elements and has experience users that can answer specific questions about FEM, I would be extremely grateful to be pointed in the right direction!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is coordinate transformation for line integrals?

Coordinate transformation for line integrals is a process that involves changing the coordinates of a given curve or surface in order to simplify the calculation of a line integral. It allows us to transform a complex or curved shape into a simpler, more easily calculable form.

2. Why is coordinate transformation necessary for line integrals?

Coordinate transformation is necessary for line integrals because it allows us to integrate over curves or surfaces that are not easily described in their original coordinate system. By transforming the coordinates, we can make the integral simpler to calculate and obtain more accurate results.

3. What are some common examples of coordinate transformations used in line integrals?

Some common examples of coordinate transformations used in line integrals include polar coordinates, spherical coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, and parametric equations. These transformations are specifically designed to simplify the calculation of line integrals over curves or surfaces with certain shapes.

4. How does quadrature rule relate to coordinate transformation for line integrals?

Quadrature rules, also known as numerical integration methods, are used to approximate the value of a line integral. These rules are based on dividing the curve or surface into smaller segments and approximating the integral over each segment. Coordinate transformation is often used in conjunction with quadrature rules to simplify the calculation and improve the accuracy of the approximation.

5. What are some common challenges when using coordinate transformation for line integrals?

Some common challenges when using coordinate transformation for line integrals include accurately choosing the appropriate coordinate system for the given curve or surface, understanding the limitations and assumptions of the transformation, and ensuring the accuracy of the final result. It is important to carefully consider the specific problem at hand before applying coordinate transformation to avoid incorrect or inaccurate results.