What is the correct electron configuration for copper?

In summary, the conversation discusses the electron configuration of Copper, atom number 29, with the speaker seeking clarification on the correct configuration. They mention using an orbital chart and comparing it to a model found on Wikipedia. Ultimately, they conclude that the correct configuration is 4s1 3d10, as listed in the exceptions on Wikipedia.
DrOnline

Homework Statement

I'm a complete chemistry novice, just on chapter 1 of my book here.

I am tasked with writing down the electron configuration of Copper, atom number 29.

Homework Equations

I've got my orbital chart here. 29 electrons to fill in.

The Attempt at a Solution

I go with:

1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d9

On my chart, and I am sorry if I am making a mess of the terms of chemistry here, it shows 4s filling up before electrons fill up 3d.

And this is correct according to my school book.

So I try to draw it using the normal onion layer model.

2-8-17-2

Then I got wikipedia, and it shows this picture:

480px-Electron_shell_029_Copper_-_no_label.svg.png

2-8-18-1

Is my book wrong? Am I wrong? Is wikipedia wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh wow. Ok. Thanks!

What is the electron configuration of copper?

The electron configuration of copper is [Ar] 3d10 4s1. This means that it has 29 electrons, with 2 in the first energy level, 8 in the second energy level, and 18 in the third energy level.

Why does copper have a unique electron distribution?

Copper has a unique electron distribution because it has one electron in the 4s orbital and a full 3d orbital. This is due to the stability of having a full or half-filled orbital.

What is the significance of the 4s and 3d orbitals in copper's electron distribution?

The 4s and 3d orbitals in copper's electron distribution play a key role in its chemical properties. The 4s orbital is more easily ionized, while the 3d orbital is more shielded from the nucleus and therefore less reactive. This allows copper to exhibit both metallic and non-metallic properties.

How does copper's electron distribution affect its physical properties?

Copper's electron distribution affects its physical properties in several ways. The presence of one valence electron in the 4s orbital makes it a good conductor of electricity, while the full 3d orbital makes it less malleable and ductile compared to other metals. Additionally, the 3d orbital's ability to hold onto electrons contributes to copper's high melting and boiling points.

What is the relationship between copper's electron distribution and its color?

The unique electron distribution of copper also contributes to its distinct reddish-orange color. When light hits the metal, the electrons in the 4s orbital absorb certain wavelengths of light, giving copper its characteristic color.