Use the periodic table to write the electron configuration of Gd

In summary, when writing the electron configuration of Gd, it is important to follow the order in which the orbitals are actually filled. Gd has 64 electrons, so its configuration would be [Xe] 6s2 5d1 4f7. This is because the 4f8 spot is already occupied by Tb, so Gd cannot have 4f8 as well. The order of the orbitals can vary depending on the teacher's preference, but it is important to follow the specified format.
skander

Homework Statement

Use the periodic table to write the electron configuration of Gd.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Gd has 64 electrons (atomic number 64) so I would assume that the configuration would be:
1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10 4f8 5s2 5p6 6s2

However when I checked my answer on a site that gave Gd's electron configuration it gave the configuration like this:
1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10 4f7 5s2 5p6 5d1 6s2

Does anyone know why they would write it like that and are they correct or am I? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at the periodic table, the 4f8 spot is occupied by Tb. This should immediately raise a flag when reviewing your answer.

Following straight across the periodic table, the orbitals are filled up in the following order:

[Xe] 6s2 5d1 4f7

I hope this helps.

Okay, since Tb is 4f8 Gd has to be 4f7 giving rise to 5d1. Now when you wrote it as 6s2 5d1 4f7 was that specifically in that order? Because I thought we were supposed to write down electron configuration by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 regardless of which orbital was actually filled last. Thanks.

Your teacher should specify the way he/she wants it done. My high school teacher wanted it done in the 1, 2, 3, 4, ... way, while my college professor requested that we try to represent the order in which the orbitals are actually filled.

Okay so I'm supposed to it the 1, 2, 3, ... for my course. Thank you very much for all your help.

1. What is the electron configuration of Gd?

The electron configuration of Gd (gadolinium) is [Xe] 4f^7 5d^1 6s^2. This means that gadolinium has 64 electrons, with the first 54 electrons filling the orbitals of the noble gas xenon and the remaining 10 electrons filling the 4f, 5d, and 6s orbitals in the order of increasing energy levels.

2. How do I use the periodic table to write the electron configuration of Gd?

To write the electron configuration of Gd, you can use the periodic table as a guide. Find Gd on the periodic table, which is in the lanthanide series and has an atomic number of 64. Then, follow the order of filling orbitals: 1s, 2s, 2p, 3s, 3p, 4s, 3d, 4p, 5s, 4d, 5p, 6s, 4f, 5d, 6p, and so on. Remember to place the electrons in the orbitals in order of increasing energy levels.

3. What does [Xe] in the electron configuration of Gd mean?

The [Xe] represents the electron configuration of the noble gas xenon. This indicates that the first 54 electrons in Gd's configuration are the same as those in xenon. This shortcut is used to make writing electron configurations of larger elements more efficient.

4. Why does Gd have a 4f^7 5d^1 6s^2 electron configuration?

Gd has a 4f^7 5d^1 6s^2 electron configuration because it follows the Aufbau principle. This principle states that electrons fill orbitals in order of increasing energy levels. In Gd, the 4f orbital has a higher energy level than the 5d and 6s orbitals, so it is filled before the 5d and 6s orbitals.

5. What is the significance of Gd's electron configuration?

The electron configuration of Gd is significant because it helps to determine its chemical and physical properties. The partially filled 4f orbital in Gd makes it a lanthanide element, giving it unique magnetic and optical properties. Additionally, the arrangement of electrons in an atom affects its reactivity and bonding with other elements.