Coriolis effect vs common sense

In summary, the coriolis force is a fictitious force that arises from the Coriolis acceleration. This acceleration is caused by the change in angular momentum of a spinning object, and is double the previous result because the effective mass increases when kinetic energy is gained. This information resolves a confusion that was first introduced by Feynman in his physics lectures.
guillefix
Hello, I've long thought that the coriolis effect was something quite logical (i.e., things luck funny when in a rotating frame of reference), but interested in the mathematical reasoning behind it (because it, being a ficticious force is more about geomtry than physics), found that it was indeed one of the most counterintuitive things I know (at least in classical physics). My problem is the following:

Imagine you have a spinning mass (holded by a massless string say). And you increase the radius of the string with a constant rate, at the same time than exerting a perpendicular force on the mass so as to keep the angular velocity constant. Then tangential acceleration (tangential velocity is w*r) of the mass should be w*r' (as w is constant), where w is angular velocity and r' is the time derivative of the radius.

However, when I saw the same situation in Feynman's physics lectures book, I was dazzled. He, instead, considers the change in angular momentum, which is 2*m*r*r'*w, and that is equal to the torque, which is F*r. So te force exerted is 2*m*r'*w, and the acceleration, 2*r'*w.

So..how come this is double the previous result?? Where have I flawed my reasoning?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You are confusing tangential linear acceleration (d(rw)/dt) with angular acceleration, in the sense that applies to torque and angular momentum. If the radius were increased with the tangential velocity constant, there would still be a torque required.

haruspex said:
If the radius were increased with the tangential velocity constant, there would still be a torque required.

Thanks! Altho I am still a bit confused. Imagine the case you propose: you have to exert a torque equal to m*r'*v, meaning that the force you have to apply is m*(r'/r)*v. However, the mass doesn't gain any velocity? Is in this system, the effective mass equal to infinity?

Also, in my case the 2*m*r*r'*w force, the Coriolis force, actually comes from the Coriolis acceleration 2*r'*w. So according to this acceleration, the tangential acceleration should be that, and not half of that!

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictitious_force#Rotating_coordinate_systems

Last edited:
guillefix said:
Thanks! Altho I am still a bit confused. Imagine the case you propose: you have to exert a torque equal to m*r'*v, meaning that the force you have to apply is m*(r'/r)*v. However, the mass doesn't gain any velocity? Is in this system, the effective mass equal to infinity?
I think in the case of constant tangnetial velocity and changing radius the mass still moves along a circular arc, but with a different center. The net force is still acting perpendicular to the velocity, so no work is done on the mass. But there still can be a tangential force component in respect to the original center, and hence a torque around it.

guillefix said:
Hello, I've long thought that the coriolis effect was something quite logical [..], but interested in the mathematical reasoning behind it [..]. My problem is the following:

Imagine you have a spinning mass (holded by a massless string say). And you increase the radius of the string with a constant rate, at the same time than exerting a perpendicular force on the mass so as to keep the angular velocity constant. Then tangential acceleration (tangential velocity is w*r) of the mass should be w*r' (as w is constant), where w is angular velocity and r' is the time derivative of the radius.

However, when I saw the same situation in Feynman's physics lectures book, I was dazzled. [..] force exerted is 2*m*r'*w, and the acceleration, 2*r'*w.

So..how come this is double the previous result?? Where have I flawed my reasoning?

Thank you in advance
in my case the 2*m*r*r'*w force, the Coriolis force, actually comes from the Coriolis acceleration 2*r'*w. So according to this acceleration, the tangential acceleration should be that, and not half of that!
To my regret I also find such complex motions confusing. However, here my 2cts: if you consider the acquired increase of kinetic energy when you stop increasing the radius, then I think that half of the force was used for the increase of kinetic energy of the mass and the other half for pulling the string outward. The mass is doing work on the string when it is moving outward, and much of that energy is provided by F. So, perhaps you did not sufficiently consider the radial motion and the work done on the string. With that you could lift a weight or activate a heater.

Last edited:
Someone finally told me the missing piece in the puzzle: The tangential component of the force doesn't in general equal the change in the tangential component of velocity. (Because tangential and radial components are a non-inertial frame of reference, it doesn't work like using x and y coordinates) Think for example that in Uniform circular motion, the there is a radial acceleration, but the radial velocity isn't changing.

So taking this into account, coriolis force finally reconciles with common sense: Imagine the case in which the tangential velocity isn't changing, in that case the tangential force is omega x v. This is the acceleration needed so that the velocity doesn't change (as A.T. says, it is the acceleration needed so that the acceleration is perpendicular to the force). Well then, in my original case, I need to add the extra omega x v to have the change in tangential velocity as well as the increasing radius.

guillefix said:
Someone finally told me the missing piece in the puzzle: The tangential component of the force doesn't in general equal the change in the tangential component of velocity. (Because tangential and radial components are a non-inertial frame of reference, it doesn't work like using x and y coordinates) Think for example that in Uniform circular motion, the there is a radial acceleration, but the radial velocity isn't changing.

So taking this into account, coriolis force finally reconciles with common sense: Imagine the case in which the tangential velocity isn't changing, in that case the tangential force is omega x v. This is the acceleration needed so that the velocity doesn't change (as A.T. says, it is the acceleration needed so that the acceleration is perpendicular to the force). Well then, in my original case, I need to add the extra omega x v to have the change in tangential velocity as well as the increasing radius.
Yes, one can say the same thing in different ways. :smile:

1. What is the Coriolis effect and how does it differ from common sense?

The Coriolis effect is a phenomenon in which an object moving along a rotating surface experiences a deflection in its path due to the rotation of the surface. This effect is often misunderstood and can seem to defy common sense, such as the deflection of objects in the northern hemisphere to the right and in the southern hemisphere to the left.

2. Can the Coriolis effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Coriolis effect can be observed in everyday life, although it is usually only noticeable in large-scale systems such as weather patterns and ocean currents. For example, hurricanes in the northern hemisphere will rotate counterclockwise while those in the southern hemisphere will rotate clockwise due to the Coriolis effect.

3. Why is the Coriolis effect often considered counterintuitive?

The Coriolis effect can seem counterintuitive because it is a result of a combination of the Earth's rotation and an object's inertia. Our intuition is based on our experiences on a non-rotating Earth, so it can be difficult to understand the impact of the Earth's rotation on the objects around us.

4. Does the Coriolis effect affect all moving objects on Earth?

No, the Coriolis effect only affects objects that are in motion over long distances and are not firmly attached to the Earth's surface. For example, the Coriolis effect is not significant for objects moving on a small scale, such as a ball thrown in the air.

5. Are there any misconceptions about the Coriolis effect?

Yes, there are several common misconceptions about the Coriolis effect. One is that it causes water to drain in opposite directions in the northern and southern hemispheres. In reality, the Coriolis effect is too weak to have any noticeable effect on the direction of water draining in a sink or toilet. Another misconception is that the Coriolis effect affects the trajectory of projectiles, such as bullets. However, the Coriolis effect is only significant for large-scale, long-distance objects, so it has no impact on the trajectory of bullets or other small projectiles.