Correct Notation for Intersections of Real Numbers Sets

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discussed the notation for finding common values in two sets of real numbers. The suggested notation was \{x\in\mathbb{R}:0\leq x\leq3\} or \{ x \in R |0 \le x \le 3\}, with the latter being easier to read and understand. The conversation also clarified that the double inequality should be written in increasing size instead of decreasing size.
danago
Gold Member
Lets say i have two sets of numbers (dealing with real numbers only):

[tex]
\{ x \in R |x \ge 0\}
[/tex]
[tex]
\{ x \in R |3 \ge x\}
[/tex]

And i want to show what the common values in the two sets are. Would my notation be correct if i wrote:

[tex]
\{ x \in R |x \ge 0\} \cap \{ x \in R |3 \ge x\} = \{ x \in R |3 \ge x \ge 0\}
[/tex]

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
One would normally write the double inequality in increasing size: [itex]\{x\in\mathbb{R}:0\leq x\leq3\}[/itex]

That is not incorrect but I suspect those who are used to a number line that goes from left to right would find it momentarily confusing!

Most people would find it easier to read
[tex]\{ x \in R |0 \le x \le 3\} [/tex]

Ok that's fair enough, easy enough to change :smile:

But besides that, everything else ok?

Thanks for the replies.

What is the correct notation for intersections of real number sets?

The correct notation for intersections of real number sets is represented by the upside-down U symbol, also known as the intersection symbol. It is written as A ∩ B, where A and B are the two sets being intersected.

How do you read the intersection symbol?

The intersection symbol is read as "A intersect B" or "A intersection B". This means the common elements between set A and set B are being identified.

Can the intersection of real number sets be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the intersection of real number sets to be empty. This occurs when there are no common elements between the two sets.

What is the difference between the intersection of real number sets and the union of real number sets?

The intersection of real number sets identifies the common elements between two sets, while the union of real number sets combines all elements from both sets, without repetition. The union is represented by the U symbol, and is written as A ∪ B.

How is the intersection of real number sets useful in mathematics and science?

The intersection of real number sets is useful in mathematics and science as it allows for the identification of common elements between two sets. This is important in solving equations, identifying patterns, and making conclusions based on data analysis.