Correct way to write pi buckingham theorem

In summary, the author makes π1 = D(dp/ dx) / ρ( V^2) , and makes π3 as μ/ ρVD , how if i want to make μ/ ρVD (reciprocal of reynold number ) as π1 and make D(dp/ dx) / ρ( V^2) as π3 ?
foo9008

Homework Statement

in this problem , the author make π1 = D(dp/ dx) / ρ( V^2) , and make π3 as μ/ ρVD , how if i want to make μ/ ρVD (reciprocal of reynold number ) as π1 and make D(dp/ dx) / ρ( V^2) as π3 ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

since we know that π1 is function of ( π2 , π3 )
is it necessary to change μ/ ρVD (reciprocal of reynold number ) to reynold number (ρVD / μ ) ?
which is correct ? Re = f ( D(dp/ dx) / ρ( V^2) , Ks/ D ) or μ/ ρVD = f ( D(dp/ dx) / ρ( V^2) , Ks/ D ) ? which is correct ?

Attachments

• 221.PNG
    221.PNG
    61 KB · Views: 451
  • 222.PNG
    222.PNG
    60.5 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
wow , thi is considered as advanced physics question ?

I don't see any difference between taking the reciprocal of Reynold's number and taking actually Reynold's number as ##\pi_1##.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I don't see any difference between taking the reciprocal of Reynold's number and taking actually Reynold's number as ##\pi_1##.
Why?

If you take ##\pi_1 =f (\pi_2 , \pi_3)## for some function ##f## of ##\pi_2 , \pi_3## in which case you can find a function ##g## such that ##\pi_1^{-1} = g(\pi_2 , \pi_3)##; so it doesn't matter which one you choose your ##\pi_1## to be, your function will of course be different for different cases, but you don't seem to know what is your function ##f##, right?

You didn't state what is your precise problem here?

If you take ##\pi_1 =f (\pi_2 , \pi_3)## for some function ##f## of ##\pi_2 , \pi_3## in which case you can find a function ##g## such that ##\pi_1^{-1} = g(\pi_2 , \pi_3)##; so it doesn't matter which one you choose your ##\pi_1## to be, your
function will of course be different for different cases, but you don't seem to know what is your function ##f##, right?
It's pi Buckingham theorem, can I still do so?
You didn't state what is your precise problem here?

Re = f ( D(dp/ dx) / ρ( V^2) , Ks/ D ) or μ/ ρVD which is 1 / Re = f ( D(dp/ dx) / ρ( V^2) , Ks/ D ) ? which is correct ?

Do you know what is f here?

Do you know what is f here?
Ff means function, where pi1 is the function of pi2 and pi3...

I mean is f given explicitly?

I mean is f given explicitly?
? What do you mean?

I mean do you know how is f given? I mean do you know what is f(\pi_2, \pi_3) what is this function of \pi_2 and \pi_3?

I mean do you know how is f given? I mean do you know what is f(\pi_2, \pi_3) what is this function of \pi_2 and \pi_3?
Dun know

As it mentioned in one of the pics you rearrange only for convenience, i.e. it doesn't matter if you take Reynold's number or the reciprocal of Reynold's number as a function of the other dimensionless variables since you can always take the reciprocal of the function if you have ##Re = f(\pi_2 , \pi_3)## then you can take ##1/Re = 1/f = g(\pi_2,\pi_3)##.

If on the other hand ##f## were given then you'd know how to rearrange the equation.

Likes foo9008

What is the "Correct way to write pi buckingham theorem"?

The pi buckingham theorem, also known as the Buckingham π theorem, is a mathematical theorem used in dimensional analysis. It states that if a physical problem involves n variables and k fundamental dimensions, it can be reduced to n-k dimensionless parameters. These parameters can then be expressed as a combination of the original variables using a unique set of dimensionless products.

Why is the pi buckingham theorem important?

The pi buckingham theorem is important because it allows scientists and engineers to simplify complex physical problems by reducing the number of variables involved. This makes it easier to analyze and solve these problems. It also helps to identify the most important variables and their relationships, providing a better understanding of the system being studied.

How is the pi buckingham theorem applied in real-world situations?

The pi buckingham theorem is widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry. It is applied in situations where there are multiple variables and dimensions, and simplifies the problem by reducing the number of variables to a smaller set of dimensionless parameters. This makes it easier to model and analyze systems and create more accurate predictions.

What are the limitations of the pi buckingham theorem?

While the pi buckingham theorem is a powerful tool, it has its limitations. It can only be applied to problems that involve physical quantities and dimensions. It also assumes that the variables involved are independent and have a linear relationship. In some cases, this may not hold true and the theorem may not be applicable.

Are there any practical examples of the pi buckingham theorem?

Yes, there are many practical examples of the pi buckingham theorem. One example is in fluid mechanics, where it is used to determine the relationships between variables such as pressure, velocity, and density in a fluid flow. It is also used in structural analysis to determine the relationships between variables such as force, mass, and length in a structural system.