1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Correct way to write pi buckingham theorem

1. Jun 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    in this problem , the author make π1 = D(dp/ dx) / ρ( V^2) , and make π3 as μ/ ρVD , how if i want to make μ/ ρVD (reciprocal of reynold number ) as π1 and make D(dp/ dx) / ρ( V^2) as π3 ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    since we know that π1 is function of ( π2 , π3 )
    is it necessary to change μ/ ρVD (reciprocal of reynold number ) to reynold number (ρVD / μ ) ?
    which is correct ? Re = f ( D(dp/ dx) / ρ( V^2) , Ks/ D ) or μ/ ρVD = f ( D(dp/ dx) / ρ( V^2) , Ks/ D ) ? which is correct ?

Attached Files:

• 221.PNG
      221.PNG
      File size:
      76.9 KB
      Views:
    • 222.PNG
      222.PNG
      File size:
      79.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2016 #2
    wow , thi is considered as advanced physics question ?

4. Jun 18, 2016 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I don't see any difference between taking the reciprocal of Reynold's number and taking actually Reynold's number as ##\pi_1##.

5. Jun 18, 2016 #4
    Why?

6. Jun 18, 2016 #5

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

If you take ##\pi_1 =f (\pi_2 , \pi_3)## for some function ##f## of ##\pi_2 , \pi_3## in which case you can find a function ##g## such that ##\pi_1^{-1} = g(\pi_2 , \pi_3)##; so it doesn't matter which one you choose your ##\pi_1## to be, your function will of course be different for different cases, but you don't seem to know what is your function ##f##, right?

You didn't state what is your precise problem here?

7. Jun 18, 2016 #6

8. Jun 18, 2016 #7
    Re = f ( D(dp/ dx) / ρ( V^2) , Ks/ D ) or μ/ ρVD which is 1 / Re = f ( D(dp/ dx) / ρ( V^2) , Ks/ D ) ? which is correct ?

9. Jun 18, 2016 #8

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Do you know what is f here?

10. Jun 18, 2016 #9
    Ff means function, where pi1 is the function of pi2 and pi3...

11. Jun 18, 2016 #10

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I mean is f given explicitly?

12. Jun 18, 2016 #11
    ? What do you mean?

13. Jun 18, 2016 #12

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I mean do you know how is f given? I mean do you know what is f(\pi_2, \pi_3) what is this function of \pi_2 and \pi_3?

14. Jun 18, 2016 #13
    Dun know

15. Jun 18, 2016 #14

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

As it mentioned in one of the pics you rearrange only for convenience, i.e. it doesn't matter if you take Reynold's number or the reciprocal of Reynold's number as a function of the other dimensionless variables since you can always take the reciprocal of the function if you have ##Re = f(\pi_2 , \pi_3)## then you can take ##1/Re = 1/f = g(\pi_2,\pi_3)##.

If on the other hand ##f## were given then you'd know how to rearrange the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted