What is the physical interpretation of n-particle correlation function in QFT?

Yes my background is QM as done in Griffiths( So yes I have a background of operators, observables and scattering matrix), Classical fields as done in Goldstein and Particle physics as in Griffiths. Griffiths actually works out Feynman rules for QED and QCD.In summary, the physical meaning of n-particle correlation functions in QFT can vary depending on the specific correlation function being studied. However, some common interpretations include relating correlation functions to scattering and decay probabilities, determining the energy of excitations created by a field, and calculating particle scattering or decay using the LSZ formula. These correlation functions are important in QFT as they are used to calculate expectation values of operators, which can be written in terms of
bengeof
Hi
I would be happy if anyone helped me understand what the physical meaning of n-particle correlation function in QFT is ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with operators, observables, and matrix elements in introductory quantum mechanics?

The correlation functions have many different physical interpretations depending on which correlation function you're asking about. This is because your physical observables (which are operators) can be built out of quantum fields, so the expectation values, variances, probabilities, and matrix elements of your theory are made out of correlation functions. As some definite examples:

The LSZ formula relates certain correlation functions to scattering and decay probabilities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSZ_reduction_formula

The Källén–Lehmann spectral representation of a field tells you about the physical spectrum of the theory by telling you the energy of excitations created by the field: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Källén–Lehmann_spectral_representation

The Kubo formula tells you how one operator changes if you perturb your system by a different operator (since all operators are built out of fields, these are also field correlators): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubo_formula

Likes vanhees71
Thank you for your response. Yes my background is QM as done in Griffiths( So yes I have a background of operators, observables and scattering matrix), Classical fields as done in Goldstein and Particle physics as in Griffiths. Griffiths actually works out Feynman rules for QED and QCD.

2 point function is interpreted as propagation amplitude of a particle from x to y, so how does one interpret a n-point correlation function. I know wick's theorem is used to break it down to sums and products of two point functions? isn't that how it works?

The usual interpretation seen often in an introductory quantum field theory course is the calculations of particle scattering or decay using the LSZ formula I mentioned above. This formula relates an ("amputated") N-point function to a scattering/decay process involving N particles coming both "in" and "out." For example, let's say you have a theory of scalar particles, call them mesons. If you want the scattering amplitude of two mesons coming in and two mesons coming out, it is related to the 4-point function.

But once again, since all operators in your theory can be written in terms of the fields, and expectation values of operators are then N-point functions, they show up everywhere.

Thank you for your response

What is a correlation function in QFT?

A correlation function in quantum field theory (QFT) is a mathematical quantity that describes the statistical relationship between two or more fields or operators at different points in space and time. It is used to study the behavior and interactions of particles in a quantum field theory.

How is a correlation function calculated in QFT?

The calculation of a correlation function in QFT involves using Feynman diagrams and perturbation theory to evaluate the expectation value of a product of fields or operators. This involves summing over all possible paths or interactions between the fields, taking into account the rules of the specific QFT being studied.

What is the physical significance of a correlation function in QFT?

In QFT, correlation functions can provide information about the behavior of particles and their interactions. They can also be used to measure physical quantities such as particle masses and coupling strengths. Additionally, they can be used to test the validity of a particular QFT model.

How does the correlation function change with distance in QFT?

The behavior of a correlation function in QFT is dependent on the distance between the fields or operators being studied. In general, the correlation function decreases as the distance between the fields increases. This is known as the "fall-off" of the correlation function.

What are some applications of correlation functions in QFT?

Correlation functions in QFT have a wide range of applications, including in particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. They are used to study the behavior of particles and fields in these different areas, and to make predictions and test theories. They are also used in the development and improvement of QFT models and calculations.