1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosine and Sine rules to get magnitude and direction of a resultant force

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    Use the cosine and sine rules to determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant of a force of 11 kN acting at an angle of 50 degrees to the horizontal and a force of 6 kN acting at an angle of -30 degrees to the horizontal.

helppp please

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2

danago

Gold Member

What have you tried doing? Have you drawn a diagram of the situation -- Will make things much easier.

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3
    No i haven't.
    Do you know how to find resultant forces with forces and angles from axises? because I have another problem like that and i have no idea how to do them

5. Oct 20, 2009 #4

danago

Gold Member

Well maybe draw one then :smile: At least then you actually have a triangle to apply the cosine and sine rules to.

If you are given forces and angles relative to axes, you could again do the same thing and form a triangle to be solved with geometry, or perhaps easier would be to resolve each force into a horizontal and vertical component and add the components.

6. Oct 9, 2010 #5
    Hi All
    to get magnitude of resultant use cosin rule R^2= X^2+Y^2 – 2XYcosβ
    to get the direction use sine rule = (Sin β /length of opposite line) = (sinθ/ length of opposite line)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook