Top 40 Physics Schools for Theoretical Cosmology in USA/Canada

In summary, the speaker, an Italian student, is interested in pursuing a PhD in theoretical cosmology in the USA or Canada, specifically in dark matter/dark energy and modified versions of general relativity. They have also expressed interest in quantum gravity and quantum information. They are seeking recommendations for the top schools in the USA/Canada for these topics, and are also curious about the cost of living and funding opportunities for PhD students in the USA. They mention potentially applying to Carnegie Mellon and Johns Hopkins, and note that LSU, Penn State, and Maryland may be good options for their interests in quantum gravity.
Salah93
Hi guys,

I am an italian student in the first year of Msc in physics. I'd like to make a good Physics Phd in USA/Canada in one of the top 30 cosmology schools(I know some good place in Europe, such as ETH, Scuola Normale di Pisa,...). I'd like to make theoretical cosmology. For now I'm interested in dark matter/dark energy and modified versions of general relativity. (I'm also getting interested in quantum gravity(I did pretty well an introducion to string theory course in my third year of Bsc but I am also interested in loop quantum gravity,etc..) and quantum information but it is too early for now).
Do you know please the top 40 schools in USA/Canada for such things? (I'm searching on my own but is really a lot of people and for now I haven't much time to look specifically, and I don't know but not all the research is so attracting) (I wrote top 40 to include some safety with respect to the top 30)

The other question: I don't know how life cost in USA and its regions is. But, is it ok what is given by universities to phd students to live? (home+food+clothes+travel) Or has one to apply for other extra funding? I am asking this because maybe one has to apply one or more year beafore.

Carnegie Mellon and Johns Hopkins are probably for you then...

Loop quantum gravity is probably more for the likes of LSU. As for quantum gravity at large, Penn State and Maryland.

1. What is the difference between "theoretical cosmology" and "experimental cosmology"?

Theoretical cosmology is a branch of physics that uses mathematical and theoretical models to study the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It focuses on developing theories and explanations for cosmological phenomena, such as the Big Bang and dark matter. On the other hand, experimental cosmology involves using observations and data from experiments and telescopes to test and validate these theories.

2. How are the top 40 physics schools for theoretical cosmology in USA/Canada determined?

The ranking of the top 40 physics schools for theoretical cosmology in USA/Canada is determined by various factors, including the quality of research being conducted in the field, the number and impact of publications by faculty members, and the availability of resources and facilities for theoretical cosmology research.

3. What makes a physics school stand out for its theoretical cosmology program?

A top physics school for theoretical cosmology typically has a strong and diverse faculty with expertise in various areas of theoretical cosmology, such as cosmological models, particle physics, and astrophysics. It also offers opportunities for students to participate in cutting-edge research and has collaborations with other institutions and organizations in the field.

4. Can students specialize in a specific area of theoretical cosmology within a physics program?

Yes, many physics schools offer students the opportunity to specialize in a specific area of theoretical cosmology, such as dark matter, gravitational waves, or inflation. This allows students to focus their studies and research on a particular aspect of theoretical cosmology and become experts in their chosen field.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in theoretical cosmology?

Graduates with a degree in theoretical cosmology have various career opportunities in academia, research institutions, and government agencies. They can work as postdoctoral researchers, professors, or research scientists, and contribute to advancing our understanding of the universe. They may also pursue careers in data analysis, software development, or science communication in industries related to physics and astronomy.