Could someone help me determine a good langauge to learn?

• Thread starter philtered
  • Start date
In summary, the main purpose for wanting to learn programming is to work with and modify an auto-scanner for a car. The individual is also interested in using programming for web development and potentially creating simple apps. However, this may be a difficult and time-consuming task without access to the source code and detailed specifications of the car's diagnostic system. It is suggested to start with a simpler language such as C# or Java and eventually move on to C/C++ for more advanced projects. Finding a good instructor is also important in understanding programming concepts.
philtered
The main purpose I want to learn to program is so I can work with and modify the auto-scanner (code reader) for my car. it would also great to be able to increase the range of modifications you could make with the scanner.

This is the cable/system currently that I have in mind:

http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VCKII&Category_Code=VAGCOM"

Maybe someone could even tell me if that's possible.

Other areas of use would be web development and maybe some simple apps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
philtered said:
The main purpose I want to learn to program is so I can work with and modify the auto-scanner (code reader) for my car.

That sounds pretty difficult, unless you have:
1) The source code for the scanner software
2) Extremely detailed specs on the format of the data stored and transmitted by the car's diagnostic system
3) The ability to re-write your car's diagnostic system, including information on how the individual systems' stats are gathered

If you've got the source code, that's a reasonably possible undertaking, assuming you get very familiar with it. Otherwise, this seems ludicrously difficult as a do-it-yourself project.

DaveE

IF you can get the specs for the interface to that plug-in device, most any PC side programming language would do -- say Java or Visual Basic. However I doubt that the manufacturer would be interested in telling you how their product actually works, so you would have to reverse engineer the whole system. That's a lot of hacking for a neophyte -- but a great learning experience presuming that you have no life whatsoever.

It's also likely that the device gives you access to just about everything you can do to the car on the other end already, so you might not gain much control.

Thanks for the responses guys, its probably best that I do some more research and see what I can find and if its worth the time investment

At first, you have to know the concept of programming. All programming languages has similar concepts such as arrays, functions/methods, etc. Try to pick an easy language and semi-powerful language to learn from. I would say go with C# or Java... Once you get it, feel free to move to the language that suits your later future goal. OOP is the way to go ... If you want to get into coding computational, hardware, embedded systems and such things, you eventually will have to learn C/C++ ... I don't recommend you starting with C/C++ ... NOTE: instructor also plays big role in helping you understanding programming

1. What are the most widely spoken languages in the world?

The top five most spoken languages in the world are Chinese, Spanish, English, Hindi, and Arabic. These languages are spoken by billions of people and are considered important for global communication and business.

2. How can I determine which language would be most useful for me to learn?

Consider your personal and professional goals. If you are interested in traveling, learning the local language of your desired destination would be beneficial. If you work in a specific industry, research which languages are in high demand within that field. Additionally, consider which languages are spoken by a large number of people or have a strong influence in global affairs.

3. Are there any languages that are easier to learn than others?

Some languages may be easier to learn for certain individuals based on their native language and language learning abilities. However, there is no definitive answer to which language is the easiest to learn. Factors such as grammar structure, vocabulary, and writing systems can all impact the difficulty of learning a language.

4. Can I learn multiple languages at the same time?

It is possible to learn multiple languages at the same time, but it may be more challenging. It is important to prioritize and focus on one language at a time to avoid confusion. It may also be helpful to choose languages that are linguistically different from each other to prevent mixing them up.

5. Are there any resources that can help me determine which language to learn?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you determine which language to learn. Online language learning communities, language learning apps, and language learning websites often have information and recommendations on which languages to learn based on your interests and goals. You can also seek advice from language teachers or linguists for their professional opinions.