Could someone me solve for ε in terms of [itex]\delta[/itex] ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter azal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Terms
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
azal
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
As part of my problem I need the following condition to hold:
[itex]\frac{2^{n(H+\epsilon)}}{\epsilon}:=\delta^{-\theta}[/itex] for some [itex]\epsilon, \delta[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] all in (0,1).
Now, I would like to rearrange the equation (solve for [itex]\epsilon[itex/] in terms of the rest of the parameters) so as to have the condition be represented as: <br /> [itex]\epsilon = ...[/itex]<br /> <br /> So, I played around with it a little bit, to get:<br /> <br /> [itex]\epsilon-\frac{1}{n}\log \epsilon = \frac{-t}{n}\log \delta-H[/itex]<br /> <br /> I wonder if there is a closed form solution for [itex]\epsilon[/itex] now?<br /> <br /> Thanks,<br /> <br /> - A.[/itex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
azal said:
As part of my problem I need the following condition to hold:

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{2^{n(H+\epsilon)}}{\epsilon}:=\delta^{-\theta}[/itex] for some [itex]\epsilon, \delta[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] all in (0,1).

Now, I would like to rearrange the equation (solve for [itex]\epsilon[/itex] in terms of the rest of the parameters) so as to have the condition be represented as:
[itex]\epsilon = ...[/itex]

So, I played around with it a little bit, to get:

[itex]\epsilon-\frac{1}{n}\log \epsilon = \frac{-t}{n}\log \delta-H[/itex]

I wonder if there is a closed form solution for [itex]\epsilon[/itex] now?

Thanks,

- A.
Hello azal. Welcome to PF.

I fixed a bad tag in the quoted post.

It's usual to solve for δ in terms of ε, not the other way around.

I'm pretty sure there's no way to solve for ε in closed form.
 
Last edited:
Hi Sammy,

Thanks for your response.
This is not an [itex]\epsilon,\delta[/itex] (limit) proof, although my notation may suggest it is.

I guess I'll have to change the conditions then.

Thanks again,
- Azal.
 
azal said:
Hi Sammy,

Thanks for your response.
This is not an [itex]\epsilon,\delta[/itex] (limit) proof, although my notation may suggest it is.

I guess I'll have to change the conditions then.

Thanks again,
- Azal.

In that case, the way to solve for ε is numerically.