Finding the Right Delta for Epsilon-Delta Proofs

In summary, the given functions f and g satisfy a property that for all \epsilon > 0, if certain conditions are met, then | f(x) - 2 | < \epsilon and | g(x) - 4 | < \epsilon. To find a \delta > 0 such that | f(x) + g(x) - 6 | < \epsilon, we can use the triangle inequality and set \delta_1 and \delta_2 to be \epsilon/2 and (\epsilon/2)^2 respectively, ensuring that the conditions for | f(x) - 2 | and | g(x) - 4 | are satisfied.
Paparazzi

Homework Statement

Suppose the functions [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] satisfy the following property: for all [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] and all [itex]x[/itex], [tex]\text{if } 0 < | x - 2 | < \text{sin}^2(\frac{\epsilon^2}{9}) + \epsilon, \text{then } | f(x) - 2 | < \epsilon.[/tex] [tex]\text{if } 0 < | x - 2 | < \epsilon^2, \text{then } | g(x) - 4 | < \epsilon.[/tex]
For the given [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] find a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that, for all [itex]x[/itex], [tex]\text{if } 0 < | x - 2 | < \delta, \text{then } | f(x) + g(x) - 6 | < \epsilon.[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A.

The Attempt at a Solution

Note that [tex]| f(x) + g(x) - 6 | = | (f(x) - 2) + (g(x) - 4) | \le | f(x) - 2 | + | g(x) - 4 |[/tex] by the triangle inequality.
Now, we need to find [itex]\delta_1, \delta_2 > 0[/itex] such that the two conditions [itex]| f(x) - 2 | < \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/itex] and [itex]| g(x) - 4 | < \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/itex] are satisfied.

This is where I fall short of the solution. Since I've done this problem before I (unfortunately) know what the answer should be. It appears that I just substituted in [itex]\epsilon/2[/itex] for [itex]\epsilon[/itex] in my previous solution, but I feel that it lacked rigor. Any clues as to where to go from here would be great. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Paparazzi! :smile:

I appreciate your work to TeX everything nicely! :wink:

So, you need [itex]\delta_2[/itex] such that

[tex]0<|x-2|<\delta_2~\Rightarrow~|g(x)-4|<\epsilon/2[/tex]

But, for all [itex]\epsilon[/itex], you have

[tex]0<|x-2|<\epsilon^2~\Rightarrow~|g(x)-4|<\epsilon[/tex]

Thus if you make sure that [itex]\delta_2=(\epsilon/2)^2[/itex], then you will have

[tex]0<|x-2|<\delta_2=(\epsilon/2)^2~\Rightarrow~|g(x)-4|<\epsilon/2[/tex]

Now you must do a similar thing for [itex]\delta_1[/itex]...

So since the statement is true for all [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], that's the reason you can just substitute in what is needed (since [itex]\epsilon/2 > 0[/itex])? Thanks a bunch for the reply.

Paparazzi said:
So since the statement is true for all [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], that's the reason you can just substitute in what is needed (since [itex]\epsilon/2 > 0[/itex])?

Indeed!

That is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!

Related to Finding the Right Delta for Epsilon-Delta Proofs

1. What is an Epsilon-Delta (Limit) Proof?

An Epsilon-Delta proof is a mathematical method used to rigorously define the limit of a function. It involves choosing a small value (epsilon) and finding a corresponding value (delta) such that when the input to the function is within delta units of the limit point, the output is within epsilon units of the limit value.

2. Why is an Epsilon-Delta Proof important?

An Epsilon-Delta proof is important because it provides a precise and rigorous way to define and understand limits, which are essential concepts in calculus and mathematical analysis. It allows us to make statements about the behavior of functions at specific points, and to prove the convergence or divergence of sequences and series.

3. What are the steps involved in an Epsilon-Delta Proof?

The first step is to choose a small value for epsilon. Then, we need to find a corresponding value for delta that satisfies the definition of the limit. This often involves manipulating the given function and inequalities to isolate delta in terms of epsilon. Finally, we need to show that the function values will always be within epsilon units of the limit value when the input is within delta units of the limit point.

4. Are there any common mistakes made in Epsilon-Delta Proofs?

Yes, there are some common pitfalls when constructing Epsilon-Delta proofs. One mistake is assuming that delta can be chosen arbitrarily, rather than finding a specific value that works for a given epsilon. Another mistake is using a delta that depends on the limit point itself, rather than being independent of it. It's also important to pay attention to the direction of inequalities and to avoid circular reasoning.

5. How can I improve my skills in constructing Epsilon-Delta Proofs?

One of the best ways to improve your skills in Epsilon-Delta proofs is to practice a lot of problems. Start with simple examples and work your way up to more complex ones. It's also helpful to understand the intuition behind the proof and to be comfortable with manipulating inequalities and algebraic expressions. Additionally, seeking guidance and feedback from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.