Coulombic fundamental force to the Gravitational fundamental force

In summary, when comparing the Coulombic fundamental force to the Gravitational fundamental force, it can be seen that both follow the inverse square law but have different equations and units. The gravitational force of attraction between two protons separated by 1*10^-4 meters can be calculated using the equation F=Gm1m2/d^2 and the electrostatic force of repulsion can be calculated using F=kq1*q2/d^2. The relative magnitudes of each force can be seen by comparing the values calculated using the given equations. The unit charge of a proton and its mass are fundamental constants that can easily be found in reference material.
runningirl

Homework Statement

Compare the magnitude of the Coulombic fundamental force to the Gravitational fundamental force. Explain similarities/differences between the 2 types of forces. You have 2 protons separated by 1*10^-4 meters. Calculate the gravitational force of attraction between the two. Calculate the electrostatic force of repulsion between the two. Comment on the relative magnitudes of each force.

Homework Equations

F=kq1*q2/d^2
mg=Gm1m2/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

uh... i know i have 2 protons. but how can i find q or m?

Physics news on Phys.org

runningirl said:
uh... i know i have 2 protons. but how can i find q or m?

Um, check the back of your textbook or do a web search? The unit charge is a fundamental constant. The mass of the proton is well known.

oh yeah, i know them now. thanks!

1. What is the Coulombic fundamental force?

The Coulombic fundamental force, also known as the electrostatic force, is the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles.

2. What is the Gravitational fundamental force?

The Gravitational fundamental force is the force of attraction between any two objects with mass. It is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies.

3. How do the Coulombic and Gravitational fundamental forces differ?

The Coulombic force acts between charged particles, while the Gravitational force acts between objects with mass. Additionally, the Coulombic force is much stronger than the Gravitational force, as it is dependent on the strength of the charge and not just the mass of the objects.

4. Are the Coulombic and Gravitational forces related to each other?

Yes, the Coulombic and Gravitational forces are both fundamental forces of nature and are related through the concept of charge and mass. They are also both inverse square laws, meaning that the strength of the force decreases with the square of the distance between the two objects.

5. How do the Coulombic and Gravitational forces impact our daily lives?

The Coulombic force is responsible for many everyday phenomena, such as the attraction between clothes in a dryer, the shock you feel when touching a door handle, and the functioning of electronic devices. The Gravitational force, on the other hand, is responsible for keeping us on the ground, the orbit of satellites, and the tides in the ocean.