• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Coulombs Law & Electric Charges

• Thread starter ali13
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
Two negative electric charges, (Charge A on the left, and Charge B on the right) each with a charge of 3.0 x 10-5 Coulombs are fixed at a distance of 2.9 meters from each other. Find the electric force of charge A on charge B. (Don't forget, if the force points to the left, then the force is negative).

2. Homework Equations
I=Q/T
F=K(Qq)/r^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution
(9*10^9)*(-3.0*10^-5)*(3.0*10^-5)/2.9^2

=-.963

i feel comfortable with that, but then i'm stumped when it asks, "find the electric force of Charge B on Charge A in Newtons." and finally, "Suppose Charge B has a mass of 0.06 kilograms, and is now allowed to move freely. Find the acceleration of Charge B."

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
but then i'm stumped when it asks, "find the electric force of Charge B on Charge A in Newtons."
The magnitude of the force that B exerts on A is the same as the magnitude of the force that A exerts on B.

and finally, "Suppose Charge B has a mass of 0.06 kilograms, and is now allowed to move freely. Find the acceleration of Charge B."
If you know the force exerted on B and the mass of B, then Mr. Newton gives you the acceleration of B.