How many F's are in this paragraph?

• Thread starter Psi 5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Count
In summary: V because it's not my first language. So the Fs are kinda hidden to me.-ScottIn summary, there are six Fs in the following paragraph. The human brain tends to see "v" instead of "f" in the word 'of' thus people often disassociate them from the actual letter.
Psi 5
Count the number of times the letter F appears in the following paragraph. If you haven't seen this before you will probably get it wrong at least once. So you don't think it's a trick, count it more than once.

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI
FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS...

The answer is in white:
There are 6 F's

I don't know if this has been here before or not so don't flame me if it has.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... I only get three. Is this straightfoward?

I saw this before and even though I know how it works, it gets me every time!

The letter F in the word "of" is generally overlooked because it's such a common word. Tricky!

Jameson said:
Hmmm... I only get three. Is this straightfoward?

Yes, it is. There is no trick, they are in plain sight. I'll post later why you get it wrong. It's amazing actually. I saw another version of this a few months ago and found this one and even though I knew exactly what is going on I got it wrong the first time. I don't want to post yet why you get it wrong (and the answer I give is correct) because it helps a little but most people still can't count all the F's even after you know what to look for.

Last edited:
Seen it, still gets me though.

It's kinda the same idea as "you can raed tihs sntencee as lnog as it has the crceort bgenining and end ltteres"

when i know the trick, i got through and count the hard f's first, then count the others.

Ok i got 4 fs am i right?

Galaxy...

he has the answer written in the first post...

I wonder why the human mind would have a tendency to ignore those f's in plain view. Is their an explanation for this puzzel?
-Scott

scott_alexsk said:
I wonder why the human mind would have a tendency to ignore those f's in plain view. Is their an explanation for this puzzel?
-Scott

There are 6 Fs in there. The human brain tends to see "v" instead of "f" in the word 'of' thus people often disassociate them from the actual letter.

Z-component offered the explination that the letter F in the word "of" is generally overlooked because it's such a common word.

I was even going through each letter of every word saying them in my head, and skipped every "of," I am going with Z-component on this one.

I first saw this puzzle 40 or so years ago. It got me then, it got me now.

I've seen it before but with different words. I got all the F's when I read it now.

I didn't know the trick, but I got all the F's! I don't know what's starnge about this. Once I saw the same thing in a test, again I got the right answer but I didn't read anything about the trick.

Lisa! said:
I didn't know the trick, but I got all the F's! I don't know what's starnge about this. Once I saw the same thing in a test, again I got the right answer but I didn't read anything about the trick.

It must be that right brain working better then us macho types. On the other hand a 6 year old would probably have no trouble with this because they can't read well yet.

I don't think it's mistaking an F for V. I was told that the brain doesn't see the word 'of' thus missing the F's in them. I guess this could be tested by having someone who hasn't seen it count the V's.

Last edited:
Psi 5 said:
It must be that right brain working better then us macho types. On the other hand a 6 year old would probably have no trouble with this because they can't read well yet.
You mean I'm 6 years old or perhaps I can't read well?:grumpy: :biggrin:
Partly kidding, I think you've mentioned a good point. I think I have no trouble with this, because En isn't my first language. In fact I'm somehow new to En and probably can't read it well. Of course I swear I pronounce "of" like you.:blushing:

The answer must lie in how people learn how to speak English as a first language. To me v and f are pronouned very similarly. In German the letters are pronounced very differently. Perhaps since English was not your first language, your brain may have devolped a greater distinction between the two letters and when you learned English it seemed absurd to mix up the two. (By the way what is your first language.)
-Scott

I got 6 F's. Of has an F in it people

yeah i got six F's too ... i don't know what the fuss is all about

Well it would not be much of a puzzel if most people got it right the first time. I am just speculating why we are so stupid.
-Scott

Psi 5 said:
I don't think it's mistaking an F for V. I was told that the brain doesn't see the word 'of' thus missing the F's in them. I guess this could be tested by having someone who hasn't seen it count the V's.

hahhahah :smile: maybe they're not cross-eyed thus in mistake they see a 'v' instead of an 'f' or maybe they're blind coz they really did'nt see the word 'of' at all! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (just jokin' man..:smile: )

its a COMMON MISTAKE while readin a sound-like letter or word where the actual letters are different... like the word 'of' which one might pronounce 'ov' thus one was thinkin about 'v' and not 'f'.

of course not everyone will read and think like that thus, some of us answered correctly. :wink:

ok, you got me

Wow! its true there are 6 Fs i could of sweared there were only 4.

That is kind of confusing.:confused:

Galaxy...

It's amazing how many people got it right in this forum when no one seems to get it when you actually have it in front of them and they don't know the answer, hmmm.

I had the person that sent it to me originally resend it so I could post it here. After I got it I went through it to check the answer PURPOSELY looking for the 'of's and I STILL missed one the first couple of times. I wouldn't brag about getting it right the first try, it probably means your reading skills are less than average or you aren't telling the truth.

I showed it to 3 people on the computer screen, none of them got all of the fs.

Just because they do not get it wrong does not mean they are not as good at reading. As I said before possibly a person whom had a different first language or learned how to read differently may not make the mistake.
-Scott

I am surprised that i got it right the first time i did it because i counted the f at the bottom as well!

1. How many F's are in this paragraph?

The answer depends on the specific paragraph in question. To determine the number of F's, you will need to carefully read through the paragraph and count each instance of the letter F.

2. Is there a trick to finding the number of F's in a paragraph?

No, there is no trick. The only way to accurately determine the number of F's is to carefully read and count each instance of the letter F.

3. Can the number of F's vary depending on the font or formatting of the paragraph?

Yes, the number of F's can vary depending on the font or formatting of the paragraph. For example, if the letter F is written in a cursive font, it may be more difficult to distinguish it from other letters.

4. Is it possible to miss an F while counting?

Yes, it is possible to miss an F while counting. This is why it is important to carefully read through the paragraph and double-check your count to ensure accuracy.

5. Why is it important to know the number of F's in a paragraph?

Knowing the number of F's in a paragraph is not necessarily important in and of itself. However, it can be a fun brain teaser or a way to test one's attention to detail. Additionally, it can serve as a reminder to read carefully and not miss important information in a given text.