Countable and Uncountable Sets

• Thread starter rbzima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that (0,1) is uncountable and its implications on the uncountability of the set \Re. The conversation also suggests using a bijection between (0,1) and \Re to show their uncountability, and introduces the term "proberty" to refer to a property of probabilistic outcomes.
rbzima
Show that (0,1) is uncountable if and only if [tex]\Re[/tex] is uncountable.

I have a nice little proof showing (0,1) is uncountable, however I'm wondering how I can make implications that [tex]\Re[/tex] and vice versa.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, i think that you might want to see if you can construct a 1-1 function (correspondence) with the naturals( positive integers).
f:(0,1)-->Z (integers) . Well, you might also use the property that if a set A is uncountable, and further if this set A is a subset of B, then also B is uncountable.
So basically if you manage to show that (0,1) is uncountable, then automatically you have shown that R is uncountable, since even if we managed to put all other elements of R in an order and count them, we defenitely could not count the elements of R that are within the interval (0,1).

Last edited:
You can setup a bijection between (0,1) and R - try playing around with tan(x).

sutupidmath said:
f:(0,1)-->Z (integers). Well, you might also use the proberty that if a set A is uncountable, and further if this set A is a subset of B, then also B is uncountable.

I basically just wanted to say that I honestly think you should coin the term proberty because it makes this feel like a property of probabilistic outcomes!

rbzima said:
I basically just wanted to say that I honestly think you should coin the term proberty because it makes this feel like a property of probabilistic outcomes!

Well, if you really like, you can start using it from now on, i will not suit u for plagiarism!:cool:

Related to Countable and Uncountable Sets

1. What is the difference between countable and uncountable sets?

Countable sets are sets that have a finite or infinite number of elements that can be counted or enumerated. Uncountable sets, on the other hand, have an infinite number of elements that cannot be counted or enumerated.

2. How can you determine if a set is countable or uncountable?

A set is countable if you can create a one-to-one correspondence between its elements and the natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...). If there is no such correspondence, the set is uncountable.

3. Can a set be both countable and uncountable?

No, a set can only be either countable or uncountable. It cannot be both at the same time.

4. What are some examples of countable and uncountable sets?

Countable sets include the set of positive even numbers, the set of all integers, and the set of rational numbers. Uncountable sets include the set of real numbers, the set of all points on a line, and the set of all possible outcomes in a coin toss.

5. Why is it important to understand the concept of countable and uncountable sets?

The concept of countable and uncountable sets is important in many areas of mathematics, including set theory, calculus, and analysis. It helps us understand the different types of infinity and their properties, and is also used in various real-world applications, such as in probability and statistics.