Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Countable and Uncountable Sets

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    Show that (0,1) is uncountable if and only if [tex]\Re[/tex] is uncountable.

I have a nice little proof showing (0,1) is uncountable, however I'm wondering how I can make implications that [tex]\Re[/tex] and vice versa.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2008 #2
    Well, i think that you might want to see if you can construct a 1-1 function (correspondence) with the naturals( positive integers).
    f:(0,1)-->Z (integers) . Well, you might also use the property that if a set A is uncountable, and further if this set A is a subset of B, then also B is uncountable.
    So basically if you manage to show that (0,1) is uncountable, then automatically you have shown that R is uncountable, since even if we managed to put all other elements of R in an order and count them, we defenitely could not count the elements of R that are within the interval (0,1).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  4. Jan 24, 2008 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can setup a bijection between (0,1) and R - try playing around with tan(x).

5. Jan 24, 2008 #4
    I basically just wanted to say that I honestly think you should coin the term proberty because it makes this feel like a property of probabilistic outcomes!

6. Jan 24, 2008 #5
    Well, if you really like, you can start using it from now on, i will not suit u for plagiarism!!:cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?