Simple Seven Segment Counter Project Help?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a digital electronics project involving two seven segment displays that automatically count from 00 to 99 when a voltage source is connected. A schematic was found and built, but the displays only showed two values and did not change. Questions were raised about the purpose of certain components such as the timer and potentiometer. The use of the timer was to supply pulses to the counter chip and the potentiometer was to adjust the frequency. The group was advised to first determine the frequency of the oscillator and debug the circuit by removing the LEDs and counter chips and building them separately.
jean28
Hello Guys,

I am trying to do a simple digital electronics project where I put two seven segment displays and once I connect the voltage source, the displays start counting automatically from 00 to 99.

Here is a video of exactly what I want to do:

My group and I found the attached schematic which we think is what we need to build to make the circuit in the video.

We built it, but the displays just show two values which sort of look like "A", and it doesn't change.

I was wondering, could someone tell me if that particular schematic does what I want to do?

What is the use of the timer? Is that what increments the values from 00 to 99??

What is the use of the potentiometer? To adjust frequency?

Thank you all very much!

Attachments

• Circuit.png
    Circuit.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 530
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The 555 timer chip supplies pulses to pin 1 of the units counter 4026 the output on pin 5 is carried over to pin 1 of the 10's 4026 counter

its possible that you have the 555 oscillating too fast and its counting to 100 in a second or so.
ie. too fast for you to observe the count
first determine how fast the 555 is pulsing, look at its pin 3 output on an oscilloscope and adjust the trimpot R2 so that its pulsing at say ... once per second

Dave

Last edited:
jean28 said:
We built it, but the displays just show two values which sort of look like "A", and it doesn't change.

I was wondering, could someone tell me if that particular schematic does what I want to do?

What is the use of the timer? Is that what increments the values from 00 to 99??

What is the use of the potentiometer? To adjust frequency?

Thank you all very much!

This is not really a schematic. It is a wiring diagram. I'd have to look up the data for the chipsto knw if it would work. That should be your first step. Download the data sheets and read them

Yes that 555 chip is an oscillator. the very first debugging step is to make sure it is oscillating and at the desired frequency. Do you have a 'scope. It not

Remove the LEDs and the counter chips and get the 555 to oscillate and maybe simply blink a LED. Then build the counters and LEDs and get it to count a bush button. It should increment at each push. Next combine the two circuits

1. What is a Simple Seven Segment Counter Project?

A Simple Seven Segment Counter Project is a digital circuit that uses seven segment displays to count and display numbers. Its purpose is to demonstrate the use of basic electronic components and programming techniques.

2. What components are needed to build a Simple Seven Segment Counter Project?

The main components needed are a microcontroller, seven segment displays, resistors, push buttons, and a power supply. Additionally, some jumper wires, a breadboard, and a computer with programming software are required for assembly and programming.

3. How does the counter work?

The counter works by receiving input from the push buttons, which are connected to the microcontroller. The microcontroller then uses its programming to increment or decrement the count and send the corresponding signals to the seven segment displays to display the current count.

4. Can I customize the Simple Seven Segment Counter Project?

Yes, the project can be customized by changing the programming code, adding more push buttons for different functions, or using different types of displays. It can also be incorporated into other projects or circuits.

5. What skills are needed to build this project?

Basic knowledge of electronics and programming is required to build this project. Some familiarity with microcontrollers and their programming languages, such as Arduino or Raspberry Pi, would be helpful. Patience and attention to detail are also important skills for successful assembly and troubleshooting.