Counting Quantifiers: Exercise 2.20 Solutions

• MHB
  • Thread starter Andrei1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, we discussed exercise 2.20 from Hedman's course, which involved using counting quantifiers to define sentences that would result in a specific cardinality of a model. We also explored an equivalent first-order sentence that did not use counting quantifiers and concluded that first-order logic with counting quantifiers has the same expressive power as first-order logic.
Andrei1
This is about exercise 2.20 from Hedman's course. Let me give my solutions to it.
Intuitively, $\exists^{\geqslant n}$ means "there exists at least $n$ such that".
(a) Using counting quantifiers, define a sentence $\varphi_7$ such that $M\models\varphi_7$ iff $|M|>7$.
(b) Using counting quantifiers, define a sentence $\varphi_{23}$ such that $M\models\varphi_{23}$ iff $|M|\leqslant 23$.
(c) Using counting quantifiers, define a sentence $\varphi_{45}$ such that $M\models\varphi_{45}$ iff $|M|=45$.
(d1) Define a first-order sentence $\varphi$ (not using counting quantifiers) that is equivalent to the sentence $\exists^{\geqslant n}x(x=x)$.
(e) Show that every formula using counting quantifiers is equivalent to a formula that does not use counting quantifiers. Conclude that first-order logic with counting quantifiers has the same expressive power as first-order logic.

(a) $\exists x\exists^{\geqslant 7}y(x\neq y)$
$\exists^{\geqslant 8}x(\varphi(x)\vee\neg\varphi(x))$

(b) $\neg\exists x\exists^{\geqslant 23}y(x\neq y)$

(c) $\exists^{\geqslant 45}x\neg\exists^{\geqslant 45}y\varphi(x,y)$

(d1) $\exists x_1\dots\exists x_n\left(\bigwedge_i x_i=x_i\wedge\bigwedge_{i\neq j} x_i\neq x_j\right)$

(e) $\exists x_1\dots\exists x_n\left(\bigwedge_i\varphi(x_i)\wedge\bigwedge_{i\neq j} x_i\neq x_j\right)$ is equivalent to $\exists^{\geqslant n}x\varphi(x)$.

I have some doubts regarding part (c) and also I do not like that in part (a) I found two solutions. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrei said:
(a) $\exists x\exists^{\geqslant 7}y(x\neq y)$
$\exists^{\geqslant 8}x(\varphi(x)\vee\neg\varphi(x))$
This is OK except that the answer does not say what $\varphi(x)$ is. Of course, $\varphi$ can be any formula. Another variant is from (d1): $\exists^{\geqslant 8}x(x=x)$. There is nothing wrong that there are several correct answers.

Andrei said:
(b) $\neg\exists x\exists^{\geqslant 23}y(x\neq y)$
Correct.

Andrei said:
(c) $\exists^{\geqslant 45}x\neg\exists^{\geqslant 45}y\varphi(x,y)$
This does not say what $\varphi(x,y)$ is. The simplest answer is the conjunction of two formulas: one according to the pattern in (a) and the other in (b), e.g., $(\exists^{\geqslant 45}x=x)\land\neg(\exists^{\geqslant 46}x=x)$.

Andrei said:
(d1) $\exists x_1\dots\exists x_n\left(\bigwedge_i x_i=x_i\wedge\bigwedge_{i\neq j} x_i\neq x_j\right)$
This is correct, but the formula can be shortened. First, $\bigwedge_i x_i=x_i$ is not necessary and $\bigwedge_{i\neq j} x_i\neq x_j$, which includes both $x_1\ne x_2$ and $x_2\ne x_1$, can be replaced with $\bigwedge_{i<j} x_i\neq x_j$.

Andrei said:
(e) $\exists x_1\dots\exists x_n\left(\bigwedge_i\varphi(x_i)\wedge\bigwedge_{i\neq j} x_i\neq x_j\right)$ is equivalent to $\exists^{\geqslant n}x\varphi(x)$.
Correct, but can be shorted as in (d1).

1. What is the purpose of Counting Quantifiers?

Counting Quantifiers are used in formal logic to express statements about the number of objects or elements in a given set. They allow us to make precise statements about the quantity of things in a set.

2. What is the difference between "for all" and "there exists" quantifiers?

The "for all" quantifier (∀) expresses a statement that is true for every element in a set, while the "there exists" quantifier (∃) expresses a statement that is true for at least one element in a set.

3. How do you negate a Counting Quantifier statement?

To negate a Counting Quantifier statement, you can simply change the quantifier (∀ or ∃) and negate the statement within the parentheses. For example, ¬(∀x P(x)) is equivalent to ∃x ¬P(x).

4. Can you give an example of a statement using Counting Quantifiers?

One example of a statement using Counting Quantifiers is "For all real numbers x, there exists a real number y such that x + y = 10." This statement can be represented as ∀x∃y(x + y = 10) and is true because for every real number x, we can find a real number y (in this case, 10 - x) that satisfies the equation.

5. How are Counting Quantifiers used in mathematics and computer science?

In mathematics and computer science, Counting Quantifiers are used to express mathematical statements and properties in a precise and logical way. They are particularly useful in defining and proving theorems, as well as in algorithms and programming languages for specifying conditions and operations on data sets.