Finding the Number of Sets in Two Groups: A Simplified Problem

In summary, the problem involves two groups of sets, A and B, spanning the sample space S. Each set in A has p elements and each element is in p1 sets of A. Similarly, each set in B has q elements and each element is in q1 sets of B. The goal is to express n, the number of sets in B, in terms of m, p, p1, q, and q1. By considering the set Ω = {(x,k) | x∈A_k}, where A_k is the kth set in A, and counting the elements in Ω in two different ways, we can derive the equation |S|p1 = pm, which can be used to solve
ssd
Came to know about the following problem from a friend which can be simplified to the following:
A1, A2, ...Am and B1, B2,...Bn are two groups of sets each group spanning the sample space.
Now there are p elements in each of Ai and each element is in exactly p1 of the sets of the A group.
Again there are q elements in each of Bi and each element is in exactly q1 of the sets of the B group.
We have to write, 'n' in terms of m,p,p1,q,q1. Thanks for any ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
Denote the sample space by ##S##. Let us take the set ##\Omega = \{(x,k)~\vert~x\in A_k\}##. Let's count the elements in ##\Omega## in two ways. In the first way, we first choose an element ##x\in S##, this can be done in ##|S|## ways. Then I choose ##k## such that ##x\in A_k##. This can be done in ##p_1## ways. Furthermore every choice I make yields different elements of ##\Omega##. So ##|\Omega| = |S| p_1##.
I can also choose ##k## first, this can be done in ##m## ways. Then I can choose ##x## such that ##x\in A_k##, this can be done in ##p## ways. Every choice I made yields different elements of ##\Omega##. Thus ##|\Omega| = pm##. So we get ##|S| p_1 = pm##. I leave the rest of the solution to you.

Thanks a lot.

1. Can you explain the concept of counting the number of sets?

Counting the number of sets refers to the process of determining the total number of distinct groups or collections of elements within a given set. This can be done by either listing out all the possible combinations or by using mathematical formulas such as permutations and combinations.

2. What is the difference between a set and a subset?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, while a subset is a group of elements that are a part of a larger set. A set can contain multiple subsets, but a subset cannot contain all the elements of a set. In other words, a subset is a smaller version of a set.

3. How do you find the total number of subsets in a set?

The total number of subsets in a set can be found by using the formula 2^n, where n is the number of elements in the original set. This formula works because for each element in the set, we have two options - either include it in the subset or exclude it. So, the total number of subsets will be 2 x 2 x 2... n times, which can be simplified to 2^n.

4. Can you give an example of counting the number of sets using permutations and combinations?

Sure, let's say we have a set of 5 different colored balls - red, blue, green, yellow, and orange. We want to know how many different ways we can arrange these balls in a row. This can be solved using permutations, which gives us 5! = 120 possible arrangements. Now, let's say we are only interested in selecting 3 balls out of the 5. This can be solved using combinations, which gives us 5C3 = 10 possible combinations.

5. Why is counting the number of sets important in mathematics and science?

Counting the number of sets is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to analyze and understand the possible outcomes of a given situation. It is used in various fields such as probability, statistics, and combinatorics. It also helps in solving real-life problems, making predictions, and developing theories and models.