Where Are You From? International Community Shares Origin Stories

• Thread starter Kevin McHugh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Origin
In summary: I've been to most of the 50 states, but I've only traveled to Russia, London, Mexico and Italy.I believe I have posted this info before, but I will post again in this thread:I was born in Japan and immigrated to Canada when I was 6 years old. I was raised near Toronto, Ontario, Canada, where I currently reside.I've visited England, France, Italy, Croatia, Turkey, Greece, Switzerland, Montenegro, Hungary, briefly FranceI was born Germany in 1956Long Island, NY 1957 - 1964Ft Lauderdale, FL 1964 - 1995Houston, TX 1995 2009Punta Gorda, Fl 2009 - present (out in the country 24
Kevin McHugh
I'm sure this has been asked before, but since we have such an international community, I am interested in learning where members are from. I love geography, and learning about other countries. Where are you from, and where have you lived? I'm from the US.

I was born Germany in 1956
Long Island, NY 1957 - 1964
Ft Lauderdale, FL 1964 - 1995
Houston, TX 1995 2009
Punta Gorda, Fl 2009 - present (out in the country 24 miles to town)

Physics news on Phys.org
Kevin McHugh said:
I'm sure this has been asked before, but since we have such an international community, I am interested in learning where members are from. I love geography, and learning about other countries. Where are you from, and where have you lived? I'm from the US.

I was born Germany in 1956
Long Island, NY 1957 - 1964
Houston, TX 1995 2009
Punta Gorda, Fl 2009 - present (out in the country 24 miles to town)

Born in California. Lived in Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan, Germany, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Oregon, Washington, and Bali. Visited Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, West Virginia, DC, Maryland, New York, New Mexico, Missouri, Arkansas, Arizona, Indiana, Alaska, Wyoming, and briefly Tennessee, Virginia, and New Hampshire.

I've visited England, France, Italy, Liechtenstein, Belgium, Austria, Holland, East Germany, Switzerland, Malaysia, Singapore, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Taiwan, Viet Nam, Sumatera, Java, Nepal, Mexico, Canada, Denmark, Sweden, China, and briefly South Korea.

Perhaps the most exotic locations are Lake Toba, site of a volcanic eruption so massive that it almost wiped out the human race, and a camp near Old Crow, Yukon Territory, where I snacked on moose lips.

Last edited:
Likes Sophia
I'm envious hornbein, you've done some traveling. I've been to most of the 50 states, but I've only traveled to Russia, London, Mexico and Italy.

I believe I have posted this info before, but I will post again in this thread:

I was born in Japan and immigrated to Canada when I was 6 years old. I was raised near Toronto, Ontario, Canada, where I currently reside.

I’m a Southern Californian, inside and out. I’ve never lived anywhere else.

(disregard stereotypes)

Born in Yugoslavia (Serbia)
moved to Slovakia where I live now
lived in the Czech republic for 5 years
Visited Austria, England, Italy, Croatia, Turkey, Greece, Switzerland, Montenegro, Hungary, briefly France

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
StatGuy2000 said:
I believe I have posted this info before, but I will post again in this thread:

I was born in Japan and immigrated to Canada when I was 6 years old. I was raised near Toronto, Ontario, Canada, where I currently reside.

I figure this wa done before, maybe I should have done a search, but I'm sure we have new members too.

I was born, grew up and went to college in Ohio, then graduate school in Michigan, and first teaching job in upstate New York. I've now spent nearly half my life as an expatriate Yankee in South Carolina.

Kevin McHugh said:

My parents retired to Ft. Laud. in the late 1970s, and I visited there every year until my mother moved away in 2005. I really ought to go back sometime and see what the place looks like now. Maybe after I retire and can visit in the spring or fall. I've had enough of summer in South Florida. :-p

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Born, raised, and have hardly ever left Alberta! Hope to get to see more of the world in the future.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Lived in Orange County, California my whole life, except school in San Francisco area and a study abroad in Hong Kong. I may be moving soon depending how my job interviews went. I hope to upstate New York.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Maylis said:
Lived in Orange County, California my whole life, except school in San Francisco area and a study abroad in Hong Kong. I may be moving soon depending how my job interviews went. I hope to upstate New York.
Awesome! I'm in Orange County, too! What city do you live in?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Awesome! I'm in Orange County, too! What city do you live in?
Los alamitos

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Hornbein said:
Born in California. Lived in Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan, Germany, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Oregon, Washington, and Bali. Visited Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, West Virginia, DC, Maryland, New York, New Mexico, Missouri, Arkansas, Arizona, Indiana, Alaska, Wyoming, and briefly Tennessee, Virginia, and New Hampshire.

I've visited England, France, Italy, Liechtenstein, Belgium, Austria, Holland, East Germany, Switzerland, Malaysia, Singapore, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Taiwan, Viet Nam, Sumatera, Java, Nepal, Mexico, Canada, Denmark, Sweden, China, and briefly South Korea.

Perhaps the most exotic locations are Lake Toba, site of a volcanic eruption so massive that it almost wiped out the human race, and a camp near Old Crow, Yukon Territory, where I snacked on moose lips.

o_O Yeah...

Likes Sophia

1. Where are you originally from?

This is a common question that is often asked when meeting someone from an international community. People are curious about a person's cultural background and heritage. It's a way to get to know someone better and understand their unique experiences.

2. How did you end up in [current location]?

Many people are interested in the journey and story behind how someone from an international community ended up in their current location. It could be due to work, education, or personal reasons. This question can lead to interesting conversations about travel and cultural differences.

3. What do you miss most about your home country?

Living in a different country can often bring about feelings of homesickness. Many people from international communities have left behind family, friends, and their culture. This question can evoke nostalgia and a sense of longing for one's home country.

4. How has your cultural background influenced you?

People from international communities often have a strong sense of cultural identity that has been shaped by their upbringing and experiences. This question allows for a deeper understanding of a person's beliefs, values, and traditions.

5. Do you plan on returning to your home country?

This is a question that is often asked out of curiosity or concern for someone's future plans. For some people from international communities, their move to a different country may be temporary, while for others it may be a permanent decision. This question can lead to discussions about future aspirations and goals.