Couple Kinematics/Vectors Questions

• Thread starter ff4930
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary: For the altitude equation is it one of the equations that uses constant acceleration?Yes. y = y0 + v0 t + 1/2 a t^2. Ignore the y0 term for now. y1 = 1/2 a t^2 and y2 = 1/2 a t^2. So what is the difference? Is it proportional to t or t^2?In summary, the conversation includes a request for help verifying answers to online homework questions, discussions about determining the x and y components of vectors, units in a calculation, and the distance between two objects. Several equations and concepts are mentioned, including displacement, velocity, acceleration, and
ff4930
Hello everyone,

I have couple of online homework questions and I am not asking anyone to help me do the work. I will post the question and my answers to them and I would just like someone to verify if the answer is indeed correct because I only have one chance to submit my homework.

Again I am just verifying my answers, any comments would be helpful.

Determine the x and y components of the following vectors in the xy plane.
(a) A 14 m displacement vector that makes an angle of 38° clockwise from the +y direction.
x: 11.0m from 14*cos(38)
y: 8.6m from 14*sin(38)

(b) A 22 m/s velocity vector that makes an angle of 36° counterclockwise from the -x direction.
x: -17.8m/s from 22*cos(36) and negative because is in the negative quadrant
y: -12.9m/s from 22*sin(36) and negative because is in the negative quadrant

(c) A 35 lb. force vector that makes an angle of 171° counterclockwise from the -y direction.
x: 34.6lb.from 35*cos(171) and positive because is in the is 171 degrees
y: 5.5lb. from 35*cos(171) andpositive because is in the is 171 degrees

In doing a calculation, you end up with m/s in the numerator and m/s2 in the denominator. What are your final units?

1/s since m/m cancel and s/s2 = s

At t = 0, object A is dropped from the roof of a building. At the same instant, object B is dropped from a window 10 m below the roof. During their descent to the ground what happens to the distance between the two objects?

It is proportional to t?

A runner runs 2.0 km in a straight line in 9 min and then takes 25 min to walk back to the starting point. (The running and walking is in a straight line.)
(a) What is the runner's average velocity for the first 9 min?
2.0/9 km/h since the displacement is 2.0 and total time was 9 mins?

An object with an initial velocity of 7.0 m/s has a constant acceleration of 2.0 m/s2. When its speed is 17.0 m/s, how far has it traveled?

since is constant acc. each second it will travel 2.0m/s2
time 0 = 7.0 m/s
time 1 = 9.0 m/s
time 2 = 11.0 m/s
time 3 = 13.0 m/s
time 4 = 15.0 m/s
time 5 = 17.0 m/s

you add it up is 72 meters?

Thanks for your help and time.

Physics news on Phys.org
ff4930 said:
Determine the x and y components of the following vectors in the xy plane.
(a) A 14 m displacement vector that makes an angle of 38° clockwise from the +y direction.
x: 11.0m from 14*cos(38)
y: 8.6m from 14*sin(38)

(b) A 22 m/s velocity vector that makes an angle of 36° counterclockwise from the -x direction.
x: -17.8m/s from 22*cos(36) and negative because is in the negative quadrant
y: -12.9m/s from 22*sin(36) and negative because is in the negative quadrant

(c) A 35 lb. force vector that makes an angle of 171° counterclockwise from the -y direction.
x: 34.6lb.from 35*cos(171) and positive because is in the is 171 degrees
y: 5.5lb. from 35*cos(171) andpositive because is in the is 171 degrees

In doing a calculation, you end up with m/s in the numerator and m/s2 in the denominator. What are your final units?

1/s since m/m cancel and s/s2 = s

At t = 0, object A is dropped from the roof of a building. At the same instant, object B is dropped from a window 10 m below the roof. During their descent to the ground what happens to the distance between the two objects?

It is proportional to t?

Hello ff4930! :smile:

Sorry :redface:

(b) is right but (a) and (c) are wrong, and so is 1/s.

(Going out now for the evening, so no time to look at the others)

thanks for your reply, but could you explain why my answers were wrong. thanks again.

ff4930, it would help if you write the details of the solution rather than just the answer.

In the first 3 problems a, b, and c on the Cartesian (x, y) system, pay attention to the reference axis (i.e. the axis from which the angle is taken). In problem a (+y), in b (-x) and in c (-y).

The answer given for (a): x: 11.0m from 14*cos(38), y: 8.6m from 14*sin(38) would be appropriate if the reference axis was +x (with +x from the origin and proceeding horizontally to the right - assuming the conventional righthanded system in which positive angles sweep counterclockwise).

In the case of numerator of (m/s) and denominator (m/s2), write it out.

For the two objects released simultaneously, write the equations for the altitude for both object y1(t) and y2(t) and take the difference. What is the difference?

Hi thanks for replying.

For A is clockwise from +y so it should lay in the first quadrant no?
and x and y components should be positive.

Is the 14m displacement not the hypotenuse of the triangle trying to make?

Im not too familiar about the referencing y axis/xaxis part.

For M/S divided by M/S^2, you multiply with the numerator by the reciprocal of the denominator no? so It should be M/S * S^2/M which = to S?

For the altitude equation is it one of the equations that uses constant acceleration?

ff4930 said:
Hi thanks for replying.

For A is clockwise from +y so it should lay in the first quadrant no?
and x and y components should be positive.

Is the 14m displacement not the hypotenuse of the triangle trying to make?

Im not too familiar about the referencing y axis/xaxis part.
Yes, in the first quadrant, both would be +, but the angle in measured clockwise from the vertical, but when one uses x = r cos (theta) and y = r sin (theta), one is taking theta counterclock wise from the +x axis or horizontal. If one rotates the reference 90 degrees to +y, then sweeps the angle -theta, what becomes the relationship between x, y and theta (assuming r is fixed)?

For M/S divided by M/S^2, you multiply with the numerator by the reciprocal of the denominator no? so It should be M/S * S^2/M which = to S?
Correct. But please don't guess. One needs to be sure.

For the altitude equation is it one of the equations that uses constant acceleration?
Assume the same constant acceleration, but they start simultaneously at different elevations.

This might be a useful reference - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

Astronuc said:
Yes, in the first quadrant, both would be +, but the angle in measured clockwise from the vertical, but when one uses x = r cos (theta) and y = r sin (theta), one is taking theta counterclock wise from the +x axis or horizontal. If one rotates the reference 90 degrees to +y, then sweeps the angle -theta, what becomes the relationship between x, y and theta (assuming r is fixed)?
If you rotate the reference 90 degrees to +y it would lay in 2nd quadrant where x component is negative and y component is positive? I am still alittle confused.

Assume the same constant acceleration, but they start simultaneously at different elevations.

This might be a useful reference - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

Since the acceleration is constant and they start simultaneously their accelerations are the same so their difference is still 10m apart?

I was wondering the previous 2 problem is correct or not.

runner runs 2.0 km in a straight line in 9 min and then takes 25 min to walk back to the starting point. (The running and walking is in a straight line.)
(a) What is the runner's average velocity for the first 9 min?
2.0/9 km/h since the displacement is 2.0 and total time was 9 mins?

An object with an initial velocity of 7.0 m/s has a constant acceleration of 2.0 m/s2. When its speed is 17.0 m/s, how far has it traveled?

time 0 = 7.0 m/s
time 1 = 9.0 m/s
time 2 = 11.0 m/s
time 3 = 13.0 m/s
time 4 = 15.0 m/s
time 5 = 17.0 m/s

you add it up is 72 meters?

Ok I managed to figured out some of the answers on my own.

Can someone please help me with the problems I have left.

Q-An object with an initial velocity of 7.0 m/s has a constant acceleration of 2.0 m/s2. When its speed is 17.0 m/s, how far has it traveled?

time 0 = 7.0 m/s
time 1 = 9.0 m/s
time 2 = 11.0 m/s
time 3 = 13.0 m/s
time 4 = 15.0 m/s
time 5 = 17.0 m/s
I got this one wrong it wasn't 72m, can someone tell me what I am doing wrong here?

The law of radioactive decay is N(t) = N0e-λt, where N0 is the number of radioactive nuclei at t = 0, N(t) is the number remaining at time t, and λ is a quantity known as the decay constant. What is the dimension of λ? (T = time)
a-1/T
b-T
c-T2
d-2/T
e-√T

I have no idea what this questions ask, can someone simplify it?

And I have no clue about the quadrant question regarding the x and y components.

Thanks for your time.

What is the definition of couple kinematics?

Couple kinematics refers to the study of the motion and movement of two objects that are connected by a fixed point or axis. This type of motion is different from that of individual objects, as it involves the interaction between the two objects.

How are couple kinematics and vectors related?

Vectors are often used to represent the motion of objects in couple kinematics. The direction and magnitude of the vector can indicate the movement and rotation of the connected objects.

What is the difference between a couple and a torque?

A couple refers to two equal and opposite forces acting on a system, while torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In couple kinematics, the two objects are typically considered to be a couple, while torque is used to describe the rotational motion.

How do you calculate the magnitude of a couple vector?

The magnitude of a couple vector can be calculated by multiplying the distance between the two objects by the magnitude of the force acting on one of the objects. This value represents the amount of torque being applied to the system.

What are some common real-world applications of couple kinematics?

Couple kinematics is commonly used in engineering and mechanics, such as in the design of gears and pulleys. It is also used in robotics and control systems to analyze the movement and interaction of multiple components. Additionally, it can be applied in sports and biomechanics to study the movement of joints and limbs in human motion.