Couple multiple choice: Confirmation needed

In summary, "Couple multiple choice" is a type of multiple choice question where the answer choices are presented in pairs, allowing for a more nuanced and comprehensive understanding of the subject being tested. Confirmation is needed for this type of question to ensure accuracy and relevance, as well as to eliminate ambiguity and confusion. It benefits the test-taker by providing a more challenging and engaging format and promoting critical thinking skills. However, potential drawbacks include increased time consumption and difficulty in guessing the correct answer. In scientific research, "Couple multiple choice" can be used to gather detailed information and analyze complex relationships between variables.
livestrong136
1. For which following condition, will the cross product of two vectors be zero?

a. If the angle between them is 90°.
b. If the angle between them is 0°.
c. If the angle between them is 45°.
d. If the vectors have the same magnitude.

2. If a = (5, 2) and b = (-3, 1), then which of the following vectors represent 3a - 2b?

a) (9, 4)
b) (9, 8 )
c) (21, 8 )
d) (21, 4)

3. Given the vectors a = (1, 3, 4) and a = (4, 5, -4), which of the following represent a × b?

a) (8, -20, 7)
b) (-32, 20, -7)
c) (4, 15, 16)
d) -3

4. In the previous question, what is the angle between the two given vectors to the nearest degree?

a) 94°
b) 86°
c) 36°
d) 24°

5. If ƒ'(c) < 0 then ƒ(x) is decreasing and the graph of ƒ(x) is concave down when x = c.

True
False

6. If ƒ′(x) > 0 when x < c and ƒ′(x) < 0 when x > c, then ƒ(x) has a maximum value when x = c.

True
False

7. Which of the following would best represent the statement "the plane is flying to the left of me, but is slowing down to come around for another pass?"

a) v(t) > 0 and a(t) > 0
b) v(t) > 0 and a(t) < 0
c) v(t) < 0 and a(t) > 0
d) v(t) < 0 and a(t) < 0

8. A ball is thrown downward from the top of a 20 m tall building with an initial velocity of 15 m/s. What equation could be used to model its height, h(t)?

-4.9t^2-15t+20

9. What is the simplified average rate of change between x = 2 and x = 2 + h for the function:

a. ƒ(x) = x^2?

4+h

b. ƒ(x) = 1/x?

-h/2(2+h)= -1/4

Physics news on Phys.org
livestrong136 said:
1. For which following condition, will the cross product of two vectors be zero?

a. If the angle between them is 90°.
b. If the angle between them is 0°.
c. If the angle between them is 45°.
d. If the vectors have the same magnitude.

2. If a = (5, 2) and b = (-3, 1), then which of the following vectors represent 3a - 2b?

a) (9, 4)
b) (9, 8 )
c) (21, 8 )
d) (21, 4)

3. Given the vectors a = (1, 3, 4) and a = (4, 5, -4), which of the following represent a × b?

a) (8, -20, 7)
b) (-32, 20, -7)
c) (4, 15, 16)
d) -3

4. In the previous question, what is the angle between the two given vectors to the nearest degree?

a) 94°
b) 86°
c) 36°
d) 24°

5. If ƒ'(c) < 0 then ƒ(x) is decreasing and the graph of ƒ(x) is concave down when x = c.

True
False

6. If ƒ′(x) > 0 when x < c and ƒ′(x) < 0 when x > c, then ƒ(x) has a maximum value when x = c.

True
False

7. Which of the following would best represent the statement "the plane is flying to the left of me, but is slowing down to come around for another pass?"

a) v(t) > 0 and a(t) > 0
b) v(t) > 0 and a(t) < 0
c) v(t) < 0 and a(t) > 0
d) v(t) < 0 and a(t) < 0

8. A ball is thrown downward from the top of a 20 m tall building with an initial velocity of 15 m/s. What equation could be used to model its height, h(t)?

-4.9t^2-15t+20

9. What is the simplified average rate of change between x = 2 and x = 2 + h for the function:

a. ƒ(x) = x^2?

4+h

b. ƒ(x) = 1/x?

-h/2(2+h)= -1/4
That's an awful lot of stuff for one post !

I didn't check #4 numerically, but it seems reasonable. (Why isn't the answer 94°? You can't tell merely with the cross product.)

#s 5 & 6 don't necessarily follow. (Aren't necessarily true.)

Why simplify the answer to #9b that way?

The others looked OK.

It would have been more acceptable if you had broken this up into a few threads, and justified each answer.

SammyS said:
It would have been more acceptable if you had broken this up into a few threads, and justified each answer.
Echoing what Sammy said...
Many homework helpers won't bother jumping in if there is a whole laundry list of problems. It's better to include at most two or three in a post.

SammyS said:
That's an awful lot of stuff for one post !

I didn't check #4 numerically, but it seems reasonable. (Why isn't the answer 94°? You can't tell merely with the cross product.)

#s 5 & 6 don't necessarily follow. (Aren't necessarily true.)

Why simplify the answer to #9b that way?

The others looked OK.

Ok, from now on i'll post one question at a time. I didn't get what you really mean for #5 and 6. They both looked true to me.. can you clear it, are they true or false. And for 9b. I think leaving the answer like -h/2(2+h) doesn't seem right, my teacher also said that it is close but still incorrect so I did another step -h/2(2+h)= -1/4

livestrong136 said:
Ok, from now on i'll post one question at a time. I didn't get what you really mean for #5 and 6. They both looked true to me

For (5), think what would happen if y=(-x)

For (6), Are the local maximum's the same as the global max for any function? :wink:

Do your answers hold now?

And for 9b. I think leaving the answer like -h/2(2+h) doesn't seem right, my teacher also said that it is close but still incorrect so I did another step -h/2(2+h)= -1/4

Your answer of -h/2(2+h) isn't correct. How did you get it?

livestrong136 said:
Ok, from now on i'll post one question at a time. I didn't get what you really mean for #5 and 6. They both looked true to me.. can you clear it, are they true or false. And for 9b. I think leaving the answer like -h/2(2+h) doesn't seem right, my teacher also said that it is close but still incorrect so I did another step -h/2(2+h)= -1/4
For #5, Can the first derivative tell you anything about concavity ? Why or why not?

For #6, Is f(x) continuous at x = c ?

For #9 b , See Infinitum's comment.

What is "Couple multiple choice"?

"Couple multiple choice" is a type of multiple choice question where the answer choices are presented in pairs. This allows for a more nuanced and comprehensive understanding of the subject being tested.

Why is confirmation needed for "Couple multiple choice"?

Confirmation is needed for "Couple multiple choice" to ensure that the pairs of answer choices are accurate and relevant to the question being asked. It also helps to eliminate any ambiguity or confusion in the answers.

How does "Couple multiple choice" benefit the test-taker?

"Couple multiple choice" benefits the test-taker by providing a more challenging and engaging format for answering questions. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the subject matter and can help to improve critical thinking skills.

What are the potential drawbacks of "Couple multiple choice"?

One potential drawback of "Couple multiple choice" is that it may be more time-consuming for the test-taker, as they have to consider and compare pairs of answer choices. Additionally, it may be more difficult for the test-taker to guess the correct answer compared to traditional multiple choice questions.

How can "Couple multiple choice" be used in scientific research?

"Couple multiple choice" can be used in scientific research as a way to gather more detailed and specific information from participants. It can also be used as a tool for measuring and analyzing complex relationships between variables.