Couple of Laurent Series I'm having trouble finding

In summary: Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with calculating Laurent series on annuli. Hopefully someone else can jump in and help you out with that part.
Gulli

Homework Statement

I'm stuck on the following problems:

I have to find the Laurent series around 1 of

[tex]f(z)=\frac{z^{3}}{z^{2}-1}[/tex]

and the Laurent Series around 2 and on the annulus 1 < |z| < 2 of

[tex]f(z)=\frac{z^{2}-2z+5}{(z-2)(z^{2}+1)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I am familiar with the geometric series:

[tex]\frac{a}{1-(z-c)}=a\sum{(z-c)^{k}}[/tex]

I also know how to calculate partial fractions.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first problem I get this far:

[tex]f(z)=\frac{z^{3}}{z^{2}-1}=z^{3}\frac{1}{z^{2}-1}=z^{3}(\frac{-1}{2(z+1)}+\frac{1}{2(z-1)})[/tex] I can rewrite the (z+1) term to a series like this:
[tex]\frac{1}{2(z-1)}=\frac{-1}{4(1-\frac{(z-1)}{(-2)})}=\frac{-1}{4}\sum{(z-1)^{k}(-2)^{-k}}[/tex] I can't do the same to the (z-1) term however so I'm stuck.

For the second problem I get this far:

[tex]f(z)=\frac{z^{2}-2z+5}{(z-2)(z^{2}+1)}=\frac{1}{z-2}-\frac{-2}{z^{2}+1}=\frac{1}{z-2}-\frac{i}{z+i}+\frac{i}{z-i}[/tex] Then I'm stuck because of the i's in the terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check the rest of your work, but I wanted to mention the z-1 term is already in the correct form for a series about z=1.

vela said:
I didn't check the rest of your work, but I wanted to mention the z-1 term is already in the correct form for a series about z=1.

It has to be of the form 1/(1-(z-1)) to give a series...

Remember the Laurent series has both positive and negative powers of (z-1). That term already is a Laurent series about z=1. [tex]\frac{1}{z-1} = \cdots + \frac{0}{(z-1)^3} + \frac{0}{(z-1)^2} + \frac{1}{z-1} + 0 + 0(z-1) + 0(z-1)^2 + \cdots[/tex]

vela said:
Remember the Laurent series has both positive and negative powers of (z-1). That term already is a Laurent series about z=1. [tex]\frac{1}{z-1} = \cdots + \frac{0}{(z-1)^3} + \frac{0}{(z-1)^2} + \frac{1}{z-1} + 0 + 0(z-1) + 0(z-1)^2 + \cdots[/tex]

Ah, I see, actually that thought had crossed my mind but I wasn't sure one term would really "count" as a series. Thank you.

Since you want a series in z- 1, the first thing I would do is let u= z- 1 so that z= u+ 1. Then [itex]z^3= (u+1)^3= u^3+ 3u^2+ 3u+ 1[/itex] and [itex]z+ 1= u+ 2[/itex]
Then you can write
[tex]\frac{z^3}{z+ 1}= \frac{u^3+ 3u^3+ 3u+ 1}{u+ 2}[/tex]
which you can use "long division" to write as a second degree polynomial plus a constant over u+ 2.
Whatever that constant is,
[tex]\frac{A}{u+ 2}= \frac{A}{2}\frac{1}{1+ \frac{u}{2}}= \frac{A}{2}\frac{1}{1- \left(-\frac{u}{2}\right)}[/tex]
which can be written as geometric series in [itex]-u/2[/itex]

You can combine the polynomial in u with the first few terms of that to get a power series in u. Finally, divide each term by u to get a series with first term [itex]u^{-1}[/itex] and then, of course, replace u by z- 1 to get a Laurent series in z- 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot people.

So, anyone has some advice about the second problem?

Is the second one two separate problems? The series centered at z=2 and a series centered at z=0 on the annulus 1<|z|<2?

vela said:
Is the second one two separate problems? The series centered at z=2 and a series centered at z=0 on the annulus 1<|z|<2?

I have to find the Laurent Series around z=2 and on the annulus 1<|z|<|2|, so yes, two different problems.

Btw, I think we made a mistake with the the first problem: I'm not allowed to just factor out the z^3 and put it back in later because it's supposed to be a series around z=1, not z=0. It looks like I have to go with Ivy's more complicated method after all (although I don't understand what to do with the polynomial to the second degree).

It's just part of the sum. If you have, for example,
[tex]x^2- 3x+ 2+ \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{2}{(n+1)^2}x^n[/tex]
(I just made this up, of course.)

that is just
[tex]x^2- 3x+ 2+ 2+ \frac{1}{2}x+ \frac{2}{9}x^2+ \sum_{n= 3}^\infty \frac{2}{(n+1)^2}x^n[/tex]
[tex]= 4- \frac {5}{2}x+ \frac{11}{9}x^2+ \sum_{n=3}^\infty \frac{2}{(n+1)^2}x^n[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
It's just part of the sum. If you have, for example,
[tex]x^2- 3x+ 2+ \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{2}{(n+1)^2}x^n[/tex]
(I just made this up, of course.)

that is just
[tex]x^2- 3x+ 2+ 2+ \frac{1}{2}x+ \frac{2}{9}x^2+ \sum_{n= 3}^\infty \frac{2}{(n+1)^2}x^n[/tex]
[tex]= 4- \frac {5}{2}x+ \frac{11}{9}x^2+ \sum_{n=3}^\infty \frac{2}{(n+1)^2}x^n[/tex]

Ok, I get[tex]\frac{z^{3}}{z^{2}-1}=\frac{u^3+ 3u^3+ 3u+ 1}{u+ 2}=3u^{2}-3u+9-\frac{17}{u+2}=\frac{7}{8}(z-1)^{2}+\frac{5}{4}(z-1)+\frac{1}{2}-17\sum_{k=3}^\infty(-1)^{k}2^{-k-1}(z-1)^{k}[/tex]

Now I just need to solve the second problem.

Gulli said:
Ok, I get[tex]\frac{z^{3}}{z^{2}-1}=\frac{u^3+ 3u^3+ 3u+ 1}{u+ 2}[/tex]
No, you have forgotten the "u" in the denominator.

=3u^{2}-3u+9-\frac{17}{u+2}=\frac{7}{8}(z-1)^{2}+\frac{5}{4}(z-1)+\frac{1}{2}-17\sum_{k=3}^\infty(-1)^{k}2^{-k-1}(z-1)^{k}[/tex]

Now I just need to solve the second problem.

So it should be:

[tex]\frac{z^{3}}{z^{2}-1}=\frac{u^{3}+ 3u^{2}+ 3u+ 1}{u(u+ 2)}[/tex]

and I should work from there to get:

[tex]\frac{7}{8}(z-1)^{2}+\frac{5}{4}(z-1)+\frac{1}{2}-17\sum_{k=3}^\infty(-1)^{k}2^{-k-1}(z-1)^{k-1}[/tex]

Basically just dividing everything by u?

Gulli said:
I'm not allowed to just factor out the z^3 and put it back in later because it's supposed to be a series around z=1, not z=0. It looks like I have to go with Ivy's more complicated method after all (although I don't understand what to do with the polynomial to the second degree).
If you wanted to proceed with your original approach, you just need to write the z3 term in terms of z-1:[tex]z^3 = [(z-1)+1]^3 = (z-1)^3+3(z-1)^2+3(z-1)+1[/tex] and multiply this expression into the series you got for the denominator.

Note that your original approach to the problem and HallsofIvy's essentially involve just rewriting everything in terms of z-1. Using the substitution u=z-1 at the start makes the algebra a bit easier overall.

vela said:
If you wanted to proceed with your original approach, you just need to write the z3 term in terms of z-1:[tex]z^3 = [(z-1)+1]^3 = (z-1)^3+3(z-1)^2+3(z-1)+1[/tex] and multiply this expression into the series you got for the denominator.

Note that your original approach to the problem and HallsofIvy's essentially involve just rewriting everything in terms of z-1. Using the substitution u=z-1 at the start makes the algebra a bit easier overall.

Thanks, do you have any thoughts on thr second problem?

Please help me with the second problem: having an i in every term really makes it harder because you can't say for example z/i < 1.

Do the same thing as before. Don't let the i confuse you. It's just a constant.

Gulli said:
Please help me with the second problem: having an i in every term really makes it harder because you can't say for example z/i < 1.
But you can say |z/i|<1.

Ok, for the annulus 1 < |z| < 2 I get:

[tex]f(z)=\frac{z^{2}-2z+5}{(z-2)(z^{2}+1)}=\frac{-1}{2(1-\frac{z}{2})}-\frac{1}{1-(\frac{-z}{i})}-\frac{1}{1-\frac{z}{i}}=-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}{z^{k}2^{(-k-1)}}-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}{z^{k}(-1)^{(k+1)}i^{-k}}-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}{z^{k}i^{-k}}[/tex]I can't find the series around z=2, sure the first term is trivial but I can't find a way to rewrite the other two in terms of (z-2).

Last edited:
That series won't converge in the annulus because |z/i|>1. Say you have a term like[tex]\frac{1}{z-a}[/tex]What you've been doing is saying[tex]\frac{1}{z-a}=-\frac{1}{a(1-z/a)} = -\frac{1}{a}\left[1+\frac{z}{a}+\left(\frac{z}{a}\right)^2+ \cdots\right][/tex]But this series only converges when |z/a|<1. When |z/a|>1, you want to expand in powers of (a/z) instead because |a/z| will be less than 1.[tex]\frac{1}{z-a}=\frac{1}{z(1-a/z)} = \frac{1}{z}\left[1+\frac{a}{z}+\left( \frac{a}{z}\right)^2+\cdots\right][/tex]So the first series would be the Laurent series of 1/(z-a) in the region |z|<|a|, and the second series is its Laurent series for |z|>|a|.

For the series about z=2, use HallsofIvy's technique by using the substitution u=z-2 and expanding the resulting function in a series about u=0.

Last edited:
Yes, of course: |i/z| < 1. For the annulus 1 < |z| < 2 I now get:

[tex]f(z)=\frac{z^{2}-2z+5}{(z-2)(z^{2}+1)}=\frac{-1}{2(1-\frac{z}{2})}-\frac{i}{z(1-(\frac{-i}{z}))}+\frac{i}{z(1-\frac{i}{z})}=-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}{z^{k}2^{(-k-1)}}+\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}{z^{-k-1}(-i)^{(k+1)}}+\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}{z^{(-k-1)}i^{(k+1)}}[/tex]

Around z=2 (so around u=0) I get:

[tex]f(z)=\frac{z^{2}-2z+5}{(z-2)(z^{2}+1)}=\frac{1}{2(1-\frac{z}{2})}-\frac{i}{(2+i)(1-(\frac{-u}{2+i}))}+\frac{i}{(2+i)(1-\frac{-u}{2+i})}=\frac{1}{2(1-\frac{z}{2})}+\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}{(z-2)^{k}(-1)^{(k+1)}(2+i)^{-k-1}}+\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}{(z-2)^{k}(-1)^{k}(2+i)^{(-k-1)}}[/tex]Where I have assumed |u/(2+i)| < 1 because I'm looking at u near 0.

Last edited:
I think you made sign mistakes in the series about z=2. Some of the i's have the wrong sign. I think you dropped the factor of i from the numerators as well.

You also need to combine the terms and simplify. The i's should disappear in the end.

vela said:
I think you made sign mistakes in the series about z=2. Some of the i's have the wrong sign. I think you dropped the factor of i from the numerators as well.

You also need to combine the terms and simplify. The i's should disappear in the end.

Yes, yes, I see, I dropped those i's (they are present in my calculations on paper). New version:

[tex]f(z)=\frac{z^{2}-2z+5}{(z-2)(z^{2}+1)}=\frac{1}{2(1-\frac{z}{2})}-\frac{i}{(2+i)(1-(\frac{-u}{2+i}))}+\frac{i}{(2+i)(1-\frac{-u}{2+i})}=\frac{1}{z-2}+i\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}{(z-2)^{k}(-1)^{(k+1)}(2+i)^{-k-1}}+i\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}{(z-2)^{k}(-1)^{k}(2-i)^{(-k-1)}}[/tex]The important thing is I know how to tackle a series like this, thanks for helping me.

Last edited:

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a mathematical concept used to represent a complex function as an infinite sum of two parts: a power series and a Laurent series. The power series represents the regular, smooth part of the function, while the Laurent series represents the singular, non-smooth part.

2. How is a Laurent series different from a power series?

A power series has only positive exponents, while a Laurent series can have both positive and negative exponents. Additionally, a power series has a finite number of terms, while a Laurent series has an infinite number of terms.

3. What is the region of convergence for a Laurent series?

The region of convergence for a Laurent series is the set of all complex numbers for which the series converges. This region can be represented by a ring-shaped domain in the complex plane, with an inner radius and an outer radius.

4. How is a Laurent series useful in mathematics?

A Laurent series is useful in many areas of mathematics, including complex analysis, differential equations, and number theory. It can be used to approximate functions, solve equations, and study the behavior of functions near singular points.

5. How do you find the coefficients of a Laurent series?

The coefficients of a Laurent series can be found using the formula cn = (1/2πi)∫Cf(z)(z-z0)-n-1dz, where C is a closed curve around the point z0 and f(z) is the function being expanded. Alternatively, the coefficients can be found using the method of partial fractions.