1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Couple questions about speakers and speaker boxes

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    1) Why might speaker boxes differ in shape?

2) Why might some speakers be bigger or heavier than others?

3) Why are speaker surfaces made of materials other than regular paper or styrofoam?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2
    Question about shape of speaker boxes

Why might speaker boxes differ in shape?

4. Dec 9, 2009 #3
    Question about size and weight of speakers

Why might some speakers be bigger or heavier than others?

5. Dec 9, 2009 #4
    Question about speaker surfaces materials

Why are speaker surfaces made of materials other than regular paper or styrofoam?

6. Dec 9, 2009 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I think you need to do a little research on your own. The things you need to think about are wavelengths and reflection or attenuation...

7. Dec 9, 2009 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Re: Question about size and weight of speakers

This sounds like homework. What are your thoughts?

8. Dec 9, 2009 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

We don't spoonfeed homework here. If that's what you're looking for, you've come to the wrong place.

9. Dec 9, 2009 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Re: Question about shape of speaker boxes

... you know what I'm going to say, doncha?

10. Dec 9, 2009 #9

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I merged the 3 threads started by blue_print on this topic.

blue_print -- as you are being told in your thread(s), you must show your work and attempt at answering your questions, before we can be of tutorial assistance. Please show us what you have done, and impress us! :biggrin:

11. Dec 11, 2009 #10
    Here's what I think;

1) Speaker boxes differ in shape because sometimes people may want to have multiple speakers in 1 box, also the power of the speakers might be different.

2) Some speakers might be bigger of heavier than others because they could be made of different materials.

3) They're made of styrofoam and regular paper because they prevent sound from escaping.

12. Dec 11, 2009 #11

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Partially correct. Check out this intro article at wikipedia.org, and see if it changes any of your answers. BTW, on the last one, I think they are asking about the actual material on the moving cone of the speaker (the part that makes the sound), not the speaker enclosure.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook