Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coupled Nonlinear Differential Equations

1. May 22, 2012 #1
    Hey,

I need your help to solve the following set of coupled differential equations numerically.

dn(t,z)/dt=I^5(t,z)+I(t,z)*n(t,z)

dI(t,z)/dz=I^5(t,z)-α(n(t,z))*I(t,z)

where I(t,0)=I0*exp(-4ln2(t/Δt)^2) and n(t,0)=0 and n(-certrain time,z)=0. Some constant parameters I did not show here.
    α(n(t,z)) is just a parameter which depends linear on n(t,z)

I tried to solve it with Mathematica and NDsolve.. since it works fine if I just solve the first equation without the z dependence. But Mathematica seems to be unhappy with the boundary conditions.

Thanks!

Thomas

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There doesn't seem to be enough information. There's nothing to set how n varies with z or I with t. You said it was ok if you just took the first equation and treated z as constant, but then you have two unknown dependent variables, n and I, and only 1 equation.

4. May 22, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your fast response.

Yeah I know, but what I solved was
    dn(t)/dt=I^5(t)+I(t)*n(t)
    with a time dependent I(t).

n depends on z only due to the fact that I is depending on z, there is no direct dependence. dI(t,z)/dt I only can give for the case I(t,0).. so I just adapt these coupled equations from a paper.

Thank you

Thomas

5. May 23, 2012 #4
    This is why mathematica is not solving thsi.

"where I(t,0)=I0*exp(-4ln2(t/Δt)^2)"

are you sure this is so, what if Δt=0? then what?

6. May 23, 2012 #5
    Δt is not zero. so I is just a gaussian distribution around Δt

7. May 28, 2012 #6

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Can't the method of characteristics be used here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook