How Can I Efficiently Complete a Physics BS in Three Years?

• Courses
  • Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
In summary: Do you have a plan for how you'll pay for all these courses if you don't get a stipend?Do you have a plan for how you'll pay for all these courses if you don't get a stipend?
QuarkCharmer
Let me start off by saying that aside from whatever financial aid I can get (I still have not taken the Pell Grant, maybe it is not too late), my funding cuts off at the end of 3 years (the green period on the spreadsheet). I absolutely have to get a decent Physics BS taken care of in that time, and I see no reason why I cannot because tuition and living are covered for the time being.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9513/tempcourseload.jpg

I don't know the pre-requisites on some of the courses because I am still at the local community college and cannot seem to find a good listing yet. The degree requirements for my intended program are located here.
http://www.catalog.sdes.ucf.edu/academic_programs/pdf/Physics_BS.pdf

Does anyone notice a horrible mistake, or have any advice on what goes where? I think I can manage up to 5 courses while maintining a near 4.0. Most of the classes I have already taken were Honers, but I noticed the almost complete lack of Honors-physics courses at the 4 year university and gave up on that goal. I know this 3 year BS will be difficult, however, I am quite dedicated and willing to throw away any social life for a hand-full of 6-course semesters if that is what is required. My poor high-school background really injected a great deal of pre-req courses, and I am looking to graduate in the 130 credit-hour range!

I really want to specialize in Optics and Photonics, and if I could only get the BS and manage a waived tuition/stipend for Graduate Studies I would be set!

Thanks for any advice/encouragement you can offer. I know there are many here with vast experience and I am only looking for some guidance.

EDIT (clarification): I am not looking for anyone to plan my education for me. This is simply a starting point from which I hope to gain advice, form another schedule, and eventually plan everything out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't taking any laboratory courses?

QuarkCharmer said:
I don't know the pre-requisites on some of the courses because I am still at the local community college and cannot seem to find a good listing yet.

Look up the courses here:

http://www.catalog.sdes.ucf.edu/courses_and_descriptions/UCF_Courses_and_Descriptions.pdf

For each course, prerequisites are listed following the notation "PR:".

This listing also shows which semester(s) each course is offered. For example, E&M I and II are offered only during fall and spring semesters respectively, so your schedule won't work. In fact, you won't be able to take any of the courses that you have listed for summer 2012, at that time.

Looking at the course requirements that you linked to...

Under "General Education Program" it looks like you're missing a life science course (section E2).

On the second page, you're missing the "Laboratory Requirements" (6 credits = two courses), and you have to select a specialization, which involves another 18 or 19 credits (six courses) regardless of which one you choose. For your interests, surely you want the "Optics and Lasers Specialization" (section 4.3).

Also, under the "Core Requirements" you have to do a "Directed Independent Research" in your area of specialization.

So you need another ten courses, beyond what you've listed. There's no way you're going to be able to finish in three years.

Last edited by a moderator:
THANKS!

I understood that there are some things I would need to add (Labs etc), that was just a starting point. The listing you provided is exactly what I was looking for. I understand that it will take me longer than the 3 year period to complete the degree, it is just that after the 3 year period I will have to rely on some sort of financial aid and I am not sure what exactly that will cover at this point.

I'll take the information you provided and hopefully come up with something feasible in which case it would be appreciated if someone could take a look at it and tell me something along the lines of "hey, it's probably not a good idea to take <course1> with <course 2,3,4> because <course1> is really difficult".

Thanks alot!

How come you only took 4 courses each semester?

Ryker said:
How come you only took 4 courses each semester?

It has been 10+ years since I was in high school and I was unsure how I would fare at first. During the second semester I wanted to make sure that generally I would be okay with 4+ courses. Now I am sort of in the swing of things, and feel confident to take 5+.

Ah, OK, fair enough, was just wondering.

FAQ: How Can I Efficiently Complete a Physics BS in Three Years?

1. What classes should I take for my major?

The specific classes you should take for your major will depend on your university and program requirements. It is best to consult with your academic advisor or department to determine the necessary courses.

2. How many credit hours should I take per semester?

This will vary depending on your personal schedule and academic workload. Generally, 12-15 credit hours per semester is considered full-time for undergraduate students. It is important to balance your course load with other commitments and to consider the difficulty level of the courses.

3. How can I create a balanced schedule?

To create a balanced schedule, consider taking a mix of challenging and easier courses, and spread out your classes throughout the week. It is also important to consider your personal preferences and study habits when creating your schedule.

4. Can I take classes outside of my major?

Yes, most universities allow students to take classes outside of their major as electives. This can provide a well-rounded education and expose you to new subjects and perspectives. Just make sure to check with your advisor to ensure the classes will count towards your graduation requirements.

5. How do I know if a class is right for me?

Research the course syllabus and talk to students who have taken the class before. You can also attend the first class session or reach out to the professor for more information. Additionally, consider your academic strengths and interests to determine if the class aligns with your goals and abilities.