Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.
From Antonio Lucio Vivaldi Il Cimento dell'Armonia e dell'Invenzione, Op 8 for violin solo, strings and basso continuo, comes the Concerto No. 4 in F minor, "L'inverno" (Winter), RV 297.

Here played by Carmignola and Marcon with the Venice Baroque Orchestra (it simply cannot get better than that):

Here, Jonathan Scott again in the magnificent organ of the Basílica de Santa María in Elche, Alicante (Spain). Where's the :proud: emote??? :P

Science news on Phys.org
Vivaldi again, Concerto No. 2 in G minor, "L'estate" (Summer), RV 315
Giuliano and Andrea again:

Jonathan, on the Hereford Cathedral organ this time:

Last but not least, with the promise I won't clog this thread with Bach, as I have my own just for Him (I will be, however, stealing this idea of original vs cover :P) but I cannot help mentioning here the great conductor Leopold Stokovski and his renowned transcriptions of Bach's Works for symphony orchestra.

The monumental Passacaglia & Fuga in C minor BWV 582. Here played by Karl Richter:

And here conducted by Stokovski:

Freyja said:
Elvis' "Always on my mind"

Again, Willie's

And for last, The Pet Shop Boys'. The memories!!! 😁 😁

And none of them was the original!
Written by Johnny Christopher, Mark James, and Wayne Carson, the track was first recorded by B.J. Thomas in 1970, but was never released.

Brenda Lee recorded the song on September 22, 1971 at Bradley's Barn recording studio in Mount Juliet near Nashville. This version was released on June 12, 1972 and peaked at #45 on the country chart. The play may have been published by Gwen McCrae earlier that same year.

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes Freyja and pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Hornbein said:
I know covers that are much, much worse.
Let's hear them. I know the title is an either or kind of thing but absolutely stinkers are welcome so people can critique.

_nc_ohc=isr9tkcViZYAX8FC5HH&_nc_ht=scontent-fra3-1.jpg

• Love
Likes pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
Yes Pepper was on an 8 track or something ridiculous? George Martin was so important in bringing the best out of the Beatles.

pinball1970 said:
Yes Pepper was on an 8 track or something ridiculous? George Martin was so important in bringing the best out of the Beatles.
4 track. That started the boom. Though the first to do such things was Stockhausen, who then inspired Frank Zappa's Brown Shoes Don't Make It. Sgt Pepper followed.

Though if you are good enough just stick a mic in front of you and press record.

Likes pinball1970

Grateful Dead covers.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
Kansas' Carry On My Wayward Son at a Yamaha Stagea competition.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
And none of them was the original!
I had no idea bro, popular music isn't my strongest point, I have to admit

Likes pinball1970
A cover band which does covers of instrumental surf rock music is called "Huevos Rancheros".
I am not posting links to videos on YouTube; one may do a search on YouTube and find them.

Better? Worse? Good representations? My feel is that although maybe slightly different than the originals, they are good.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
Anarchy in the U.K.

Sex Pistols:

Megadeth:

Likes robphy and pinball1970
symbolipoint said:
A cover band which does covers of instrumental surf rock music is called "Huevos Rancheros".
I am not posting links to videos on YouTube; one may do a search on YouTube and find them.

Better? Worse? Good representations? My feel is that although maybe slightly different than the originals, they are good.
I'll check thanks.

Trve Norwegian Black Surf Music

Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:

Wow. CSN one of my favourite bands. I loved that version thanks.

Hornbein said:

Reminded me of these guys.

Likes Hornbein
robphy said:
Racer X (with Paul Gilbert) (2000) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racer_X_(band)

SO over the top. Love it. Reminds me of this. Type O Negative does Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl. I like the extreme electronics on the guitar solo.

Here's a feature of that drenched guitar solo.

Likes pinball1970

Likes pinball1970
A whole playlist of bluegrass covers of rock tunes.

Hornbein said:

Foxes and Fossils…wow. You have opened up a whole new world to me!
I absolutely love the dynamic, older guys and the young gals but what a beautiful sound?
I have checked all the live stuff too, amazing.
CSN had a unique sound, hard to pick out one line because the voices blended so perfectly but these guys do it.
Notice how the girl on the left has a constant smile on her face?
That is music is supposed to be for me, joy.
The French family I posted who do all the Beatles stuff are fantastic also, young kids with their dad, just brilliant.
Check out the drummer he looks all of ten!

How beautiful can music get? The Wailing Jennys with Gillian Welch's One More Dollar.

I'm going home.

Likes pinball1970
This one makes me a little sad now he has gone. It is more of a demo of what his guitar can do by changing pick ups.
A great player covering part of a classic track by the most influential guitarist of all time probably.

pinball1970 said:
A great player covering part of a classic track by the most influential guitarist of all time probably.
This is gonna be off topic but I can't resist. Jimi was the kind of guy where your first thought is Wow! and your second thought is "I couldn't do that in a million years." So he isn't that influential. Tommy Iommi, now that's influence. Anyone can play guitar like that, and millions have.

Likes pinball1970

A work of genius.

Likes robphy and pinball1970
Hornbein said:
This is gonna be off topic but I can't resist. Jimi was the kind of guy where your first thought is Wow! and your second thought is "I couldn't do that in a million years." So he isn't that influential. Tommy Iommi, now that's influence. Anyone can play guitar like that, and millions have.
Yes I get that, I suppose Buddy Rich and Keith Moon were similar animals.
Buddy, impossible technique, outrageous today let alone in the 40s-80s.
Keith Moon a truly awful drummer. All arms, lots of unnecessary drums, one dimensional, he went out of time but....captured the imagination.
Perfect for the Who.

Anyway this post is Jimi again, a demonstration as much as a cover. Nice to see how all the parts are played.
The solo is not a collection of licks, it is a combination of little tunes to make one story. He was unique in a lot of ways but that was one of them.

Likes pinball1970

Steve Lukather -- Third Stone From The Sun.

Hornbein said:
Depends on whom you influence.

Frabjous said:
Depends on whom you influence.

I'm going with quantity, not quality.

Likes Frabjous

The Chicago Harp Twins ply Bon Jovi's It's My Life

• Wow
Likes pinball1970

Kevin Gilbert -- Kashmir. Kevin plays all the instruments.

It is pretty rare that someone is sure to make it big. But Kevin died young so it didn't happen.

Likes pinball1970