Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
Ok this is from a phone camera, no touching up after the gig.

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:

Wow, I missed this one! Brilliant. My son showed me a load of acoustic stuff like this years ago. I remember thinking, how is aware of all this stuff? I showed HIM how to play guitar right?
Obvious answer was, he was 19 and hanging out with 19 year olds at uni and I was working with old people, then socialising with older people.
My definition of old here was 30ish and older was 50-ish
 
Some songs are untouchable and it takes a lot to make a classic good again in a very different way.

 
pinball1970 said:
Wow, I missed this one! Brilliant. My son showed me a load of acoustic stuff like this years ago. I remember thinking, how is aware of all this stuff? I showed HIM how to play guitar right?
Obvious answer was, he was 19 and hanging out with 19 year olds at uni and I was working with old people, then socialising with older people.
My definition of old here was 30ish and older was 50-ish
I'm 68 years old. But it is true that the great majority of listeners won't accept anything new once they have reached 25 years of age.

I used to hang out in an Internet group of recording engineers ("when I was working with Michael Jackson" ). None of them, not one out of hundreds, liked anything that came out after 1990. I gave up on them. Physicists are more open about this sort of thing.
 


Candy dulfer -- Pick Up The Pieces
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and fresh_42
Hornbein said:


Candy dulfer -- Pick Up The Pieces

I have seen her live, almost a life ago. :cool:
 
Hornbein said:


Riyoko Takagi - Round Midnight [Thelonius Monk]

Don't know the original but do I not care, that was a fantastic piece of music. Absolutely loved it.
 
BWV said:

Well, that was a tad disturbing. I seem to stumble on these just before bedtime!
 
Original: Earth Wind and Fire: September

Cover: Taylor Swift : September.

This is probably the worst cover mad in all of music..
 
MidgetDwarf said:
Original: Earth Wind and Fire: September

Cover: Taylor Swift : September.

This is probably the worst cover mad in all of music..
I know covers that are much, much worse.
 
Hornbein said:
I know covers that are much, much worse.
Let's hear them. I know the title is an either or kind of thing but absolutely stinkers are welcome so people can critique.

Candy Flip Strawberry Fields is horrific. I may post a few
 
MidgetDwarf said:
Original: Earth Wind and Fire: September

Cover: Taylor Swift : September.

This is probably the worst cover mad in all of music..
I adore Earth wind and Fire so will check out TS
 
Last edited:
CCR's "Have you ever seen the rain?"


And this is Willie's cover, with his daughter:



I am truly torn between this two. There's something about Willie's voice and inflections that always gets me for some reason.
 
Elvis' "Always on my mind"



Again, Willie's



And for last, The Pet Shop Boys'. The memories!!! 😁 😁

 
Isaac Albéniz Chants d'Espagne Op. 232 - 1. Prélude

Also known as Leyenda, and as Suite Española Op. 47 - 5. Asturias

As originally written for piano, played by Alicia de Larrocha:



On the guitar, by Pepe Romero (as far as I am concerned Don Pepe is the best guitar player alive):



On the organ, by Jonathan Scott, his own transcription:

 
From Antonio Lucio Vivaldi Il Cimento dell'Armonia e dell'Invenzione, Op 8 for violin solo, strings and basso continuo, comes the Concerto No. 4 in F minor, "L'inverno" (Winter), RV 297.

Here played by Carmignola and Marcon with the Venice Baroque Orchestra (it simply cannot get better than that):



Here, Jonathan Scott again in the magnificent organ of the Basílica de Santa María in Elche, Alicante (Spain). Where's the :proud: emote??? :P

 
Vivaldi again, Concerto No. 2 in G minor, "L'estate" (Summer), RV 315
Giuliano and Andrea again:



Jonathan, on the Hereford Cathedral organ this time:

 
Last but not least, with the promise I won't clog this thread with Bach, as I have my own just for Him (I will be, however, stealing this idea of original vs cover :P) but I cannot help mentioning here the great conductor Leopold Stokovski and his renowned transcriptions of Bach's Works for symphony orchestra.

The monumental Passacaglia & Fuga in C minor BWV 582. Here played by Karl Richter:



And here conducted by Stokovski:

 
Freyja said:
Elvis' "Always on my mind"



Again, Willie's



And for last, The Pet Shop Boys'. The memories!!! 😁 😁



And none of them was the original!
Written by Johnny Christopher, Mark James, and Wayne Carson, the track was first recorded by B.J. Thomas in 1970, but was never released.

Brenda Lee recorded the song on September 22, 1971 at Bradley's Barn recording studio in Mount Juliet near Nashville. This version was released on June 12, 1972 and peaked at #45 on the country chart. The play may have been published by Gwen McCrae earlier that same year.
 
  • Wow
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Freyja and pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Hornbein said:
I know covers that are much, much worse.
Let's hear them. I know the title is an either or kind of thing but absolutely stinkers are welcome so people can critique.

_nc_ohc=isr9tkcViZYAX8FC5HH&_nc_ht=scontent-fra3-1.jpg
 
fresh_42 said:
Yes Pepper was on an 8 track or something ridiculous? George Martin was so important in bringing the best out of the Beatles.
 
pinball1970 said:
Yes Pepper was on an 8 track or something ridiculous? George Martin was so important in bringing the best out of the Beatles.
4 track. That started the boom. Though the first to do such things was Stockhausen, who then inspired Frank Zappa's Brown Shoes Don't Make It. Sgt Pepper followed.

Though if you are good enough just stick a mic in front of you and press record.
 


Grateful Dead covers.

 
Last edited:
Kansas' Carry On My Wayward Son at a Yamaha Stagea competition.
 
fresh_42 said:
And none of them was the original!
I had no idea bro, popular music isn't my strongest point, I have to admit
 
A cover band which does covers of instrumental surf rock music is called "Huevos Rancheros".
I am not posting links to videos on YouTube; one may do a search on YouTube and find them.

Better? Worse? Good representations? My feel is that although maybe slightly different than the originals, they are good.