Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
Physics news on Phys.org
symbolipoint said:
A cover band which does covers of instrumental surf rock music is called "Huevos Rancheros".
I am not posting links to videos on YouTube; one may do a search on YouTube and find them.

Better? Worse? Good representations? My feel is that although maybe slightly different than the originals, they are good.
I'll check thanks.
 
Hornbein said:

Wow. CSN one of my favourite bands. I loved that version thanks.
 
Hornbein said:

Reminded me of these guys.
 
robphy said:
Racer X (with Paul Gilbert) (2000) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racer_X_(band)


SO over the top. Love it. Reminds me of this. Type O Negative does Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl. I like the extreme electronics on the guitar solo.



Here's a feature of that drenched guitar solo.

 
Hornbein said:

Foxes and Fossils…wow. You have opened up a whole new world to me!
I absolutely love the dynamic, older guys and the young gals but what a beautiful sound?
I have checked all the live stuff too, amazing.
CSN had a unique sound, hard to pick out one line because the voices blended so perfectly but these guys do it.
Notice how the girl on the left has a constant smile on her face?
That is music is supposed to be for me, joy.
The French family I posted who do all the Beatles stuff are fantastic also, young kids with their dad, just brilliant.
Check out the drummer he looks all of ten!
 


How beautiful can music get? The Wailing Jennys with Gillian Welch's One More Dollar.

I'm going home.
 
This one makes me a little sad now he has gone. It is more of a demo of what his guitar can do by changing pick ups.
A great player covering part of a classic track by the most influential guitarist of all time probably.

 
pinball1970 said:
A great player covering part of a classic track by the most influential guitarist of all time probably.
This is gonna be off topic but I can't resist. Jimi was the kind of guy where your first thought is Wow! and your second thought is "I couldn't do that in a million years." So he isn't that influential. Tommy Iommi, now that's influence. Anyone can play guitar like that, and millions have.
 


A work of genius.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: robphy and pinball1970
Hornbein said:
This is gonna be off topic but I can't resist. Jimi was the kind of guy where your first thought is Wow! and your second thought is "I couldn't do that in a million years." So he isn't that influential. Tommy Iommi, now that's influence. Anyone can play guitar like that, and millions have.
Yes I get that, I suppose Buddy Rich and Keith Moon were similar animals.
Buddy, impossible technique, outrageous today let alone in the 40s-80s.
Keith Moon a truly awful drummer. All arms, lots of unnecessary drums, one dimensional, he went out of time but....captured the imagination.
Perfect for the Who.

Anyway this post is Jimi again, a demonstration as much as a cover. Nice to see how all the parts are played.
The solo is not a collection of licks, it is a combination of little tunes to make one story. He was unique in a lot of ways but that was one of them.
 
Frabjous said:
Depends on whom you influence.


I'm going with quantity, not quality.
 


The Chicago Harp Twins ply Bon Jovi's It's My Life
 


Kevin Gilbert -- Kashmir. Kevin plays all the instruments.

It is pretty rare that someone is sure to make it big. But Kevin died young so it didn't happen.
 
fresh_42 said:
Original:



Cover:


I prefer the dance version. As more of a purist I should prefer the acoustic version but I like the synth sounds and her voice.
 
Hornbein said:


The Chicago Harp Twins ply Bon Jovi's It's My Life

Wasn't really impressed with this cover and I was sure something more impressive could have been done with harps. They did:

​
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and fresh_42
The return of the rock star. Dig the wah wah guitar solo.

 
jack action said:
Wasn't really impressed with this cover and I was sure something more impressive could have been done with harps. They did:

​


I used their Iron Man for this.

 


Remarkably accurate Beatles cover. Paperback Writer.
 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TonyStewart and pinball1970


Shawn Lane plays Let It Be.
 
  • Wow
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: TonyStewart and pinball1970


Robert Plant and his Band of Joy cover Porter Waggoner's A Satisfied Mind