Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
Orig



Cover



 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org

Train - Hey, Soul Sister​


Dang that guy's a soprano.



Their vocal blend is magical. That sort of thing is luck. Either it happens or it doesn't.



As a bonus, an Andrei Cerbu guitar solo that I think is great.
 
Last edited:
Hornbein said:
Orig
The girl in the third video is a quite good bass player.
 
Not sure if this counts here (might be more a parody than a cover), but I enjoyed it. Original:

Cover:

An interesting point about this is that the Dr Who theme was originally composed by Ron Grainer on paper (on holiday in Spain, if memory serves) and air mailed to the BBC, where Delia Derbyshire and the Radiophonic Workshop did the arrangement and recording as posted above. Many years later, when electronic music was a much easier proposition than it was in the 1960s, Grainer released an arrangement of the theme more or less as he'd envisaged it when writing it. It's... um... not quite what the Radiophonic Workshop came out with. So here's the original composer covering the BBC's original version of his original tune:
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Hornbein
Gabriella Quevedo outdoes herself.

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Ibix
Most covers of this song fail to get the vocal harmony. That's the best part.

 
We're All Alone by Boz Scaggs is my favorite ballad. He said he wrote it on the way to the studio. The backup band later made it big as most of Toto.



When I was playing ebass in Roxbury, The Three Degrees had a breathy hit song called When Will I See You Again. I had no idea they could sing with power.



This one is a real exhibition of power singing. Too much for this song, but you've gotta be impressed.

 
Orig. Not that exciting.

​



Cover by Asterism. The guitar is double tracked.



Here's another song that sounds pretty similar.

 
Last edited:
She is a great singer but the drums are wrong here.

 
Guys, I am an old soul, but also like new stuff, so when there is a new cover that faithfully keeps to the old-school, but makes it modern without AutoTune, it is the best of both worlds. And I have not seen "Grease" yet, but that can be added to my movie watch list.


Cover (2010s) [Indie Pop]:


John Travolta's Original (1970s) [Soft Rock], due to copyright, video is only available on YouTube:
 
AlexB23 said:
I have not seen "Grease" yet, but that can be added to my movie watch list.
It's great fun. "Hopelessly devoted to you" is a nice track.
 
pinball1970 said:
It's great fun. "Hopelessly devoted to you" is a nice track.
I can check that one out as well. Thank you for recommending "Grease". :)
 
In @robphy 's style, here are multiple covers of a single song: Chop Suey! Never seen so many good versions in so many different styles and arrangements.

The original:

​


Let's start on a high note:


​

Jazz:


​

Rock orchestra:


​

Asian folk metal:


​

Metalcore by Ankor:


​

"Way Too Happy" acoustic cover:
Classical piano:
Epic piano:
Vocal ensemble:
Classical orchestra:
Kid's Christian Metal:
And because ... on the Internet ... there's everything ... I love it when people have fun!

20 style cover:

A Latin version?

Commuting:
And a ... speed bag cover!
 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and robphy
Speaking of Ankor, I thought I posted it before but I cannot find it. At the risk of repeating myself:

Bad Guy by Billie Eilish:

​


The cover by Ankor:

​