Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,380
Sam Cooke (w Levi Stubbs) Bring It On Home
Hornbein said:
Sounds like Elevator music. We had K-tel in the UK in the 70s who released compilation cover albums. They were awful!Ibix said:Off topic - one I heard today as background music in a cafe which was just awful. It seemed to be from an album of covers in a slow, relaxed style with dreamy female vocals. Not necessarily a bad thing (see the excellent cover of California Dreamin' upthread), but to my mind wildly inappropriate for Paint It Black.
What!!! My first album - at least, that wasn't meant for children - was K-Tel "Danser", the French Canadian version of "Dancer":pinball1970 said:We had K-tel in the UK in the 70s who released compilation cover albums. They were awful!
jack action said:What!!! My first album - at least, that wasn't meant for children - was K-Tel "Danser", the French Canadian version of "Dancer":
Boy, did I listen to that album, and yes I still have it!
How would I have appreciated Double Dutch Bus without K-Tel:
SSSSHH - Sugar!
To keep this post on track with the thread, here are some covers:
Probably how I felt playing the first contribution to this thread, "Satisfaction" by the Residents by non other than @Hornbein !Hornbein said:Fifty years ago I heard (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction over a PA while shopping, played by a violin soloist who had no feel for the music. This scarred me.
Hornbein said:
Hornbein said:
No - all those versions are good in different ways. The Stones and Ciara are very different reactions to a personal loss, or are at different stages of grief. The Hidden Citizens and Valerie Broussard versions turn it into loss on a grander scale, like for all the people who died in an alien invasion movie. Wednesday's version is more foreboding than lamenting. The PMJ version is a technical challenge.robphy said:Was it one of these?
Hornbein said:
Hornbein said:
morrobay said: