Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?
- Thread starter pinball1970
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,381
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
Hornbein said:
Hey! You can stop that right now. THAT, is a mash up, a mash up of gargantuan proportions.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
Hornbein said:
I had this argument with V50, a mash is different from a cover. We have a mash thread, for mashes.
I appreciate your contribution to this thread.
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,381
Last edited:
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
Hornbein said:
She is incredible. Wow.
Truthsurge sometimes altered his vocal, sang in one key then transposed it.
Not sure about that one.
- 7,534
- 3,056
These are covers by a family band named Missioned Souls.
WHOLE LOTTA LOVE by LED ZEPPELIN cover by MISSIONED SOULS
SEPARATE WAYS (Worlds Apart) by JOURNEY | Missioned Souls family band (studio) cover
LIVIN' ON A PRAYER (Bon Jovi) Missioned Souls family band cover
MISSIONED SOULS LIVE @ FIDDLER'S Cebu
(Hysteria muse, Rock Around the Clock, BillHaley&HisComets, All The Small Things blink182, Dreams TheCranberriesTV, What It Is To Burn OfficialFinch, Letters To You OfficialFinch)
WHOLE LOTTA LOVE by LED ZEPPELIN cover by MISSIONED SOULS
SEPARATE WAYS (Worlds Apart) by JOURNEY | Missioned Souls family band (studio) cover
LIVIN' ON A PRAYER (Bon Jovi) Missioned Souls family band cover
MISSIONED SOULS LIVE @ FIDDLER'S Cebu
(Hysteria muse, Rock Around the Clock, BillHaley&HisComets, All The Small Things blink182, Dreams TheCranberriesTV, What It Is To Burn OfficialFinch, Letters To You OfficialFinch)
Last edited:
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,381
Love that Motown style ebass.
This ebass player is growlin' it out too.
This ebass player is growlin' it out too.
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,381
Mister Sandman
Foxes plus Mom.
Foxes plus Mom.
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,381
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,381
I'd say that ballads on instruments are one of the biggest challenges in music. There is nowhere to hide.
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,381
In Tokyo there was a concert called Skullmania. The whole thing was a parody of heavy metal. I witnessed a handsome young woman in a business skirt -- she looked exactly like the Minato secretaries one sees on the Metro, quite possibly was one -- play the organ solo of Highway Star. This song is very well known. It's even the model name of a popular van.
Nissan Highway Star.
Skullmania was not without a bout of Japanese professional wrestling, which is exactly the same as in the USA. A very stylized form.
Last edited:
- 7,534
- 3,056
Here's another cover of Highway Star.... by Nene Royal, who is 14,
Deep Purple-Highway Star by Nene Royal
solo at t=3m43
- recent version in a studio: Highway Star-Deep Purple cover by Nene Royal
- a live version when she was 10: Highway Star - Deep Purple (Live Cover by Nene Royal in the age of 10 years at Patong Beach/Phuket)
Tribute to QUEEN by 13 y/o NENE ROYAL
(she covered "Master of Puppets" in #1410 )
Deep Purple-Highway Star by Nene Royal
solo at t=3m43
- recent version in a studio: Highway Star-Deep Purple cover by Nene Royal
- a live version when she was 10: Highway Star - Deep Purple (Live Cover by Nene Royal in the age of 10 years at Patong Beach/Phuket)
Tribute to QUEEN by 13 y/o NENE ROYAL
(she covered "Master of Puppets" in #1410 )
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,381
I like the color match between the tennis shoes and the guitar.
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,381
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,381
Nine years ago.
- 7,534
- 3,056
Hornbein said:
That cover was invited by Metallica for their "The Metallica Blacklist Album” (2021)
Here's The Warning's cover of Enter Sandman from 2014.
Enter Sandman - METALLICA Cover - The Warning (2014) [currently 26M views]
from #542 with covers by The Warning.
See also https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-impact-on-modern-music.1055930/#post-6981063
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,381
- 7,534
- 3,056
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabotage_(Beastie_Boys_song) (1994)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beastie_Boys
Beastie Boys Perform "Sabotage" | Letterman (1994)
Beastie Boys - Sabotage (Official Music Video)
- https://www.spin.com/2018/10/beastie-boys-book-sabotage-story/
Voice of Baceprot: https://voiceofbaceprot.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_Baceprot
VOB
Live at Head In The Clouds, LA, USA (2023)
Sabotage &t=4m10s (solos and break &t=7m00s)
V.O.B "SABOTAGE || COVER" Live in Chicago (2023)
(VOB covered Killing in the Name in
#673 and Enter Sandman in #547 .)
Great Big Story: Playing Heavy Metal in a Hijab (interview in 2018)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beastie_Boys
Beastie Boys Perform "Sabotage" | Letterman (1994)
Beastie Boys - Sabotage (Official Music Video)
- https://www.spin.com/2018/10/beastie-boys-book-sabotage-story/
Voice of Baceprot: https://voiceofbaceprot.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_Baceprot
- BBC 100 Women 2024: search for KurniaThe word baceprot means "noisy" in Sundanese.
Firda Marsya Kurnia, Indonesia
Heavy metal musician
Challenging gender and religious norms is something Firda Marsya Kurnia is comfortable with, as lead vocalist and guitarist in the all-female, hijab-wearing heavy metal band Voice of Baceprot.
Singing in English and Sundanese, one of the most widely spoken languages in Indonesia, the trio’s lyrics express their frustrations with patriarchy.
There has been pushback from more conservative Muslims, who did not respond well when the band ventured into heavy metal.
But the band have come a long way since they started 10 years ago at their village school in Garut, West Java. This year they performed at Glastonbury, the first Indonesian band in the music festival’s 54-year history.
VOB
Sabotage &t=4m10s (solos and break &t=7m00s)
V.O.B "SABOTAGE || COVER" Live in Chicago (2023)
(VOB covered Killing in the Name in
#673 and Enter Sandman in #547 .)
Great Big Story: Playing Heavy Metal in a Hijab (interview in 2018)
Last edited:
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,381
- 7,534
- 3,056
Hornbein said:
So, he weathered he controversy?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Tamplin#Lip-syncing_controversy
- 7,534
- 3,056
robphy said:
Sabotage | @BeastieBoys cover | ft. Sophia Urista (Brass Against)
See also the "Brass Against Ft. Sophia Urista" cover of #673 Killing in the Name.
- 7,534
- 3,056
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am_I_Evil? (1980)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Head_(British_band)
Diamond Head - Am I Evil? (Live in 1979)
"Diamond Head performing 'Am I Evil?' at West Bromwich College in 1979. This was the first ever filmed performance by Diamond Head."
- Am I Evil (1982 audio) - Diamond Head Official
- Diamond Head - Am I Evil (Official Video) (1982) Remastered HQ Audio
- Diamond Head - Am I Evil? (Official Video) - 2020 version
Metallica: Am I Evil? (Oslo, Norway - June 26, 2024)
"Filmed at Tons of Rock at Ekebergsletta in Oslo, Norway, on June 26, 2024, and featuring Brian Tatler on guitar." (Tatler formed Diamond Head.)
- Metallica- Am I Evil? (Studio Version) (1984 audio)
- Am I Evil? - Band Switch Lars on Vocals, James on Drums Rare Live Performance! 1992.02.13 Metallica
METALLICA - AM I EVIL? ( Acoustic Guitar Cover ) (2021)
Metallica - Am I Evil? | Vkgoeswild piano cover
Soy maligno? ( Cover Am I Evil? en español ) ESPACIO ROCK CHILLAN. (2015)
Diamond Head - Am I Evil? cover (ft. Simone van Straten & Nishant Hagjer) (2024) ( vocals: Laura Guldemond )
(solo &t=4m20s)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Head_(British_band)
Diamond Head - Am I Evil? (Live in 1979)
"Diamond Head performing 'Am I Evil?' at West Bromwich College in 1979. This was the first ever filmed performance by Diamond Head."
- Am I Evil (1982 audio) - Diamond Head Official
- Diamond Head - Am I Evil (Official Video) (1982) Remastered HQ Audio
- Diamond Head - Am I Evil? (Official Video) - 2020 version
Metallica: Am I Evil? (Oslo, Norway - June 26, 2024)
"Filmed at Tons of Rock at Ekebergsletta in Oslo, Norway, on June 26, 2024, and featuring Brian Tatler on guitar." (Tatler formed Diamond Head.)
- Metallica- Am I Evil? (Studio Version) (1984 audio)
- Am I Evil? - Band Switch Lars on Vocals, James on Drums Rare Live Performance! 1992.02.13 Metallica
METALLICA - AM I EVIL? ( Acoustic Guitar Cover ) (2021)
Metallica - Am I Evil? | Vkgoeswild piano cover
Soy maligno? ( Cover Am I Evil? en español ) ESPACIO ROCK CHILLAN. (2015)
Diamond Head - Am I Evil? cover (ft. Simone van Straten & Nishant Hagjer) (2024) ( vocals: Laura Guldemond )
(solo &t=4m20s)
Point Conception
Gold Member
- 1,187
- 1,961
Hornbein said:Love that Motown style ebass.
This ebass player is growlin' it out too.
Well as you and pinball1970 have advanced technical music knowledge. I suppose you can say this is a Motown sounding ebass?.But this is not Motown. So seems like what is being called Jazz, Motown lately actually is sounding suspiciously like pop.So for the sake of purity: let's call pop pop.
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,381
I can't get interested.robphy said:So, he weathered he controversy?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Tamplin#Lip-syncing_controversy
Ha! I grew up 50 miles from Motown, listening to CKLW. I learned how to play in the Motown style. I know what the Motown sound is. I don't give a damn what Wikipedia says. And this song was even released under the Motown brand name!morrobay said:Well as you and pinball1970 have advanced technical music knowledge. I suppose you can say this is a Motown sounding ebass?.But this is not Motown. So seems like what is being called Jazz, Motown lately actually is sounding suspiciously like pop.So for the sake of purity: let's call pop pop. View attachment 354397
Last edited:
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,381
The ebass player is great. Something no other instrument can do.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
Hornbein said:
Brilliant
- 7,534
- 3,056
Stars (1986)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear_'n_Aid#Track_1:_"Stars"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear_'n_Aid
Hear 'n Aid - Stars (Dio, Dokken, Queensryche, Halford) [HQ]
- Hear N' Aid - Stars [The Lead Vocals] (LD MASTER) [BEST QUALITY] (1986)
- Hear'n Aid "Stars" - The Guitarist
mainly live covers
HEAR N' AID - STARS - ( guitar solos) Ulisses Miyazawa
[싱어게인 49호 가수 ]Hear & Aid - Stars EBS 스페이스 공감.G3 이현석, 조필성, 강인오 (Song by 김진웅,신원철)
Hear N' Aid - Stars by Dio Ken & KellySIMONZ [The Record] (2024)~二人で歌って弾いてみた。#dioken #kellysimonz
Honorable Mention [studio covers from around the world]'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear_'n_Aid#Track_1:_"Stars"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear_'n_Aid
Hear 'n Aid - Stars (Dio, Dokken, Queensryche, Halford) [HQ]
- Hear N' Aid - Stars [The Lead Vocals] (LD MASTER) [BEST QUALITY] (1986)
- Hear'n Aid "Stars" - The Guitarist
mainly live covers
HEAR N' AID - STARS - ( guitar solos) Ulisses Miyazawa
[싱어게인 49호 가수 ]Hear & Aid - Stars EBS 스페이스 공감.G3 이현석, 조필성, 강인오 (Song by 김진웅,신원철)
Hear N' Aid - Stars by Dio Ken & KellySIMONZ [The Record] (2024)~二人で歌って弾いてみた。#dioken #kellysimonz
Honorable Mention [studio covers from around the world]'
- [South Korea] Hear N' Aid KOREA - Stars 2015 (Hear N' Aid tribute cover)
- [Mexico] Hear N’ Aid - We’re Stars, Saltillo Mexico Rock Honor
- [Germany] "STARS" - Hear 'n Aid Cover ...in Memory of Ronnie James Dio
- [Argentina] HEAR N' AID - WE'RE STARS ARGENTINA - VIDEO OFFICIAL 2019 #metal #rockstar #hardrock
- [Switzerland] STARS from Ronnie James Dio interpreted by CHAINER and brothers and sisters of Rock'n'Roll
- [Poland] Polish Metal Alliance - Stars (Hear N' Aid cover)
- [Chile] WE`RE STARS CHILE
- [Brazil] RIP DIO Stars "We´re Stars", 10 anos da morte (Brazil)/Special guest Dio´s guitarist Rowan Robertson
- [Iraq] Hear n` Aid - We're Stars- Iraqi Tribute