Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Orig (not recommended)



Hit version with Louis Armstrong



Cover by Marianne Faithful

 
Last edited:
How did I miss this?

Orig Black Muddy River


 
Gabriella Quevedo outdoes herself.

 
Hornbein said:
Gabriella Quevedo outdoes herself.


Stunning. She is simply brilliant
 
The singer is OK. The real star is the arrangement and recording quality. My that sounds nice.

 
Hornbein said:
#1310
Orig : Cranberries -- Zombie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_(The_Cranberries_song)

Zombie (Acoustic Version) @-&t=12m00s - ( from The Cranberries: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert )



Guitar Cover | Zombie (The Cranberries ) | Diễm Hương & Thanh Điền Guitar


Bad Wolves - Zombie (Official Video) - 554M views


The Cranberries - Zombie (Violet Orlandi cover)


Zombie - The Cranberries (Soul Cover ft. Maiya Sykes) - PostmodernJukebox


The Cranberries - Zombie (Cello & Piano Cover) - Brooklyn Duo
 
robphy said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_(The_Cranberries_song)

Zombie (Acoustic Version) @-&t=12m00s - ( from The Cranberries: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert )



Guitar Cover | Zombie (The Cranberries ) | Diễm Hương & Thanh Điền Guitar


Bad Wolves - Zombie (Official Video) - 554M views


The Cranberries - Zombie (Violet Orlandi cover)


Zombie - The Cranberries (Soul Cover ft. Maiya Sykes) - PostmodernJukebox


The Cranberries - Zombie (Cello & Piano Cover) - Brooklyn Duo

Certainly a mixed bag!
I hated the soul one, number 5.
Obviously the original and the acoustic versions of the band are amazing.
I liked the cello version number 6.
 
Last edited:
robphy said:
Alice Cooper & Pat Boone present Metallica best Heavy Metal band American Music Awards Jan 27th 1997
Even funnier Pat Boone on The Tonight Show:

​
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint and robphy
pinball1970 said:
Certainly a mixed bag!
I hated the soul one, number 5.
Obviously the original and the acoustic versions of the band are amazing.
I liked the cello version number 6.
Violet Orlandi got an amazing sound for her bedroom and the cat wasn't disturbed once!
Probably recorded in the studio then mimed on?
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and robphy
pinball1970 said:
Probably recorded in the studio then mimed on
Or the bedroom's green-screened in - that might be easier to do.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: robphy and pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
I hated the soul one, number 5.
I agree - not the right style for that one, IMO.

Is the Thai guitarist (Thanh Điền) blind? (Edit: yes, and sadly passed away in 2023.)
 
Orig



Cover
I didn't realize what a good song it was until this. Very nice chords. And that guy can sing. He's Paul Hoffman.



Encore! Another good choice.

 
Last edited:
Then there's "U.N. Owen Was Her?" Originally an eight-bit "boss theme" in a computer game, it caught on internationally with classical musicians, spawning a great many covers. Here's my fave.



Wow! Can computer sequencing produce such a natural violin sound? I tend to think not, but maybe I'm behind the times.

There are numerous bombastic orchestral versions. You've got to be impressed with the quality of today's computer simulations of orchestras. This one seems to contain a short section from The Rite of Spring. There is considerable disagreement about the title of U.N. Owen Was Her? with at least four names floating about.



Then there's the acapella version. It's more faithful to the original.



Surely a labor of love.

Here's the orig. I read that this is heard over and over again in every Japanese MacDonalds. I can't stand it when companies do that.

 


Note how she can just barely play that guitar but it still sounds pretty good.
 
Hornbein said:
Then there's the acapella version. It's more faithful to the original.



Surely a labor of love.
Just wow!

But it would have been cooler if there had been only 8 sources instead of 9, you know, to relate to the 8-bit sound. :smile:
 
A family band from the Philippines. For me the main attraction is the John Bonham Mini-me.

 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, jack action and robphy
Showcasing harmony.

 
Last edited:
Hornbein said:
Showcasing harmony.


The family is from the Philippine island of Cebu. In Tokyo I met a couple from Cebu. They looked just like this.

During his round-the-world voyage Magellan was killed while attacking Cebu in an attempt to convert it to Christianity. Though heavily outnumbered the Portuguese believed their superior technology coupled with the mandate of God would bring victory. Today this family is Christian, displaying an icon of Jesus.


Here's the orig by The Top Notes.

 
Last edited: