Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
Orig Bend Me, Shape Me


There were several version with some success but this was the hit. Those are Baldwin guitars, which I'm told they didn't actually use.


The Amen Corner had the chutzpah to change the key from minor to major (!). Doesn't that guy look like Jim Carrey? And it's a chance for you yunguns to savor British Invasion mod style.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
morrobay said:
I like the cover:

In that vein : I heard this over fifty years ago. It made a big impression on me. Cover of Steve Goodman.



Lincoln Towing really exists. The company was so notorious they became a Chicago campaign issue. In 2018 their license was revoked but they were allowed to continue operation while appealing. Lincoln won the appeal.
 
Last edited:


I nominate Al Green for the worst cover prize. The tinny distortion doesn't help. Some people like it.

 
Last edited:
Orig. Seems unbeatable to me.



Cover. Cued to Jeff Beck's unique style.
 
Norah Jones is Ravi Shankar's illegitimate daughter.

 


37 different chords.



12 piece band! Don't miss the harmony singers.
 
Last edited:
Hornbein said:
Gabriella outdoes herself.


This is 8 years previous, using a beautiful Taylor. Different tuning and arrangement.
"Into the night of the cold dark night" holds till she goes back to the verse.

 
Part of my childhood.



A nice cover.

 
Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
This is 8 years previous, using a beautiful Taylor. Different tuning and arrangement.
"Into the night of the cold dark night" holds till she goes back to the verse.


Off topic and ignorant question: what difference does the shape of the guitar body make? The guitar she's playing in the video in your post looks like someone took a bite out of the one in the video you quoted. I guess it changes the tone because different frequencies will resonate well(?).
 
Ibix said:
Off topic and ignorant question: what difference does the shape of the guitar body make? The guitar she's playing in the video in your post looks like someone took a bite out of the one in the video you quoted. I guess it changes the tone because different frequencies will resonate well(?).
Access to the highest frets. Edit, The are called "cut away."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hornbein and Ibix
Ibix said:
I guess it changes the tone because different frequencies will resonate well(?).
Yes but don't ask me how or what difference in the sound will be, I'm not that good!
It is a Taylor so it will sound amazing, even entry level start at £500 ish.
 
pinball1970 said:
Access to the highest frets. Edit, The are called "cut away."
Thanks - so you can play high notes that you can't on a guitar without the cut away. Then why do non-cut away guitars still exist? Easier to make, or something?
 
Ibix said:
Thanks - so you can play high notes that you can't on a guitar without the cut away. Then why do non-cut away guitars still exist? Easier to make, or something?
You still can it's just a lot harder. You are applying pressure with your fingers at full stretch for a chord and moving and changing in that position, puts a lot of stress on your wrist.

Also yes more expensive for a cut away.
 
Ibix said:
Thanks - so you can play high notes that you can't on a guitar without the cut away. Then why do non-cut away guitars still exist? Easier to make, or something?
Easier to make and the high notes on Spanish guitars are usually out of tune anyway. I don't know why they don't use adjustable bridges. Tradition.
 
pinball1970 said:
Part of my childhood.



A nice cover.


Frank Zappa started out on the vibraphone.

John Cage said the vibraphone was the only sound he couldn't accept,

Gary Burton tried to make it in Nashville as a vibraphonist.

My keyboard has a fake vibraphone sound. They just turned up the treble on the marimba. I think it sounds better than a real vibraphone. It doesn't blend with anything though so I just use it for fun,
 
Paul is already losing it after ten seconds. I love this.

 
morrobay said:

I missed this one. The arrangement copied by David Bowie.

 
morrobay said:
Nice try lads

A new one for me. Better than the orig. John does a good job -- I didn't know he ever tried to be crooner -- but his strength was as a screamer. Paul is 180 degrees the opposite, so they were quite complementary.
 
pinball1970 said:

He even gets Anderson's vibrato.
 
As for bad covers.... Sadly, they spared us the whammy bar on this one.