Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,609 replies · 202K views
morrobay said:

Congratulations to arranger Andrei Cerbu who singlehandedly has made Iasi, Romania a musical center. A talented and versatile guy.

 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Point Conception
Physics news on Phys.org
Though I think his band sounds even better with the pitch lowered four steps.

 
I favor pitch at this step. And that Romanian/English
 
Let It Go in Arabic.



I saw Frozen when it first came out. I thought this scene was pretty cool but had no idea the phenomenon that was to follow.
 

Dove Cameron - Genie in a Bottle​



Maybe not a great cover, but when was the last time you heard a pop song that featured the bass saxophone?

 

Barrett Strong - Money (That's What I Want)​


The orig.

 
Orig BREAK OUT!, featuring Marty Feldman, former lead guitarist of Metallica. To keep off drugs during touring he studied Japanese instead then quit Metallica and moved to Japan. There he has a TV show, Rock Fujiyama.



Cover by GARNiDELiA

 
KNULP https://www.youtube.com/@knulp. . (there's a period (%2E) at the end of the URL)
has some very nice covers,
with nice videography and attention to detail.
The "KNULP One Man Band" playlist is impressive.

Earlier I posted in #964 and #966 [i added solo links here]
robphy said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Since_You_Been_Gone

[2022] SINCE YOU BEEN GONE (Rainbow) Band Cover by KNULP ( good covers - plays multiple instruments, with solos )
(solo @t=1m53s ; solo at @t=2m42s)

robphy said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Rhapsody

(2023) BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (Queen) One Man Band Cover by KNULP (there's a period in the URL, but somehow is omitted here) ( good covers - plays multiple instruments, with solos )
(12-string guitar solo @t=2m36s) (solo @t=4m39s)


Here is
STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN (Led Zeppelin) Band Cover by KNULP
(solo @t=5m35s)


EYE OF THE TIGER (Survivor) Band Cover by KNULP


GOODBYE TO ROMANCE (Ozzy Osbourne) Full Band Cover by KNULP 밴드커버
(solo @t=2m34s)


... and if you want to learn the song, there is also
KNULP'S TAB - [SLOWTAB] Tutorial - Goodbye to Romance /Play Along
 
Last edited:
Featuring singer Benji Mauer.

 
Nice voice girl - you should have been in the foreground
 
Live your dreams.

She says this was extremely hard to do.

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: robphy and pinball1970
morrobay said:

You don't see brushes these days.
 
pinball1970 said:
You don't see brushes these days.
What was the last use of brushes in rock? Maybe Mitch Mitchell on Up From The Skies.
 
Ok I'm cheating here, an excuse to hear some nice brush work. I associate this song with Nat King Cole but it's actually from Brigadoon a 1947 musical.

Playing starts at 3.40ish.

 
Hornbein said:
What was the last use of brushes in rock? Maybe Mitch Mitchell on Up From The Skies.
Wonderwall Oasis?
 
pinball1970 said:
Ok I'm cheating here, an excuse to hear some nice brush work. I associate this song with Nat King Cole but it's actually from Brigadoon a 1947 musical.

Playing starts at 3.40ish.


I once witnessed Elvin Jones playing brushes. He pressed down the brush on the snare so hard that it bent 90 degrees then sort of stirred it around.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and difalcojr
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Wire_(Mötley_Crüe_song)

(1982) Mötley Crüe - Live Wire (Official Music Video)


I saw this video on a late night show featuring rock videos (on a UHF channel in New York)
and I said to myself... this band is going to break-out.
Soon after, Motley Crue released https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shout_at_the_Devil and got big.




Vamps - Live Wire (LIVE Tour 2010 CHILE) 1080p60

see also (2015) Nikki Sixx + VAMPS + SADS "Motley Crue / LIVE WIRE"

(2019) Live Wire - Meghan Kabir ( https://ultimateclassicrock.com/meghan-kabir-live-wire/ )



(2022) Live Wire (Mötley Crüe); by The Iron Cross ( Andrei Cerbu )

see also Cerbu in #964 (Since You Been Gone)
see also Iron Cross in #971 (Radar Love) posted by @Hornbein and #974 (Let it Go) posted by @jack action .

(2023) Mötley Crüe - Live Wire [live acoustic session on BBC Introducing] Ben Owen

see also Ben Owen's Mötley Crüe - Live Wire [full band cover]
 
Last edited:
Pythagorean said:

I hated that song when it came out because she had that ridiculous voice synth effect. That's a nice version, his voice is good.
 
robphy said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Wire_(Mötley_Crüe_song)

(1982) Mötley Crüe - Live Wire (Official Music Video)


I saw this video on a late night show featuring rock videos (on a UHF channel in New York)
and I said to myself... this band is going to break-out.
Soon after, Motley Crue released https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shout_at_the_Devil and got big.




Vamps - Live Wire (LIVE Tour 2010 CHILE) 1080p60

see also (2015) Nikki Sixx + VAMPS + SADS "Motley Crue / LIVE WIRE"

(2019) Live Wire - Meghan Kabir ( https://ultimateclassicrock.com/meghan-kabir-live-wire/ )



(2022) Live Wire (Mötley Crüe); by The Iron Cross ( Andrei Cerbu )

see also Cerbu in #964 (Since You Been Gone)

(2023) Mötley Crüe - Live Wire [live acoustic session on BBC Introducing] Ben Owen

see also Ben Owen's Mötley Crüe - Live Wire [full band cover]

I like the Megan Kabir version best! Nice selection.
 
pinball1970 said:
You don't see brushes these days.
My son's school has a jazz band. At the last end-of-term concert his music teacher commented that he was really looking forward to this because he got to fulfill a life-long dream of being the cool jazz drummer stroking the cymbals with brushes. 😁
 
What a voice.Maybe a little too much guitar in back half