Unearthing the Mysteries of the Michelson-Morley Experiment

• Thread starter James Jackson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary: Einstein!In summary, this conversation discusses the failure of the Michelson-Morley experiment to detect an etheric medium in space, and how this has led to the development of relativity crackpottery.
James Jackson
Wow, just reading through some of the stuff at crack.net, and came across this amazing insight:

Even earlier, the Michelson-Morley experiment created the need for relativity. It failed to find an etheric medium in space for conducting light waves. In fact, it failed to produce any result. A looked-for diffraction pattern did not appear. The absence of a result is not a valid basis for conclusions in science. Any number of explanations exist for the result.

I can begin to see how we get these people and their amazing crackpot theories appearing... You should see the copy I've got of a 'theory' that got sent to my department a few months ago. Perhaps I should scan it and put it up. Some choice quotes:

"Planck has to jurisdiction here", "In this model there is only one clock, no need for relativity", "The rest of physics ensues forthwith" etc. Amazing.

Physics news on Phys.org
James Jackson said:
Even earlier, the Michelson-Morley experiment created the need for relativity. It failed to find an etheric medium in space for conducting light waves. In fact, it failed to produce any result. A looked-for diffraction pattern did not appear. The absence of a result is not a valid basis for conclusions in science. Any number of explanations exist for the result.
Well, not quite - the logic goes as follows:

Hypothesis: If there is an ether, this experiment will detect it via an interference pattern.
Experimental data: no interference pattern witnessed.
Conclusion: This experiment does not support the hypothesis that there is an ether and adds constraints to what an ether may "look like" if it does exist.

However, yes - relativity crackpottery is an interesting phenomena.

It's not crackpottery. There's a legitimate worldwide concerted effort on the part of mainstream physicists to keep their groundbreaking ideas from flourishing.

juvenal said:
It's not crackpottery. There's a legitimate worldwide concerted effort on the part of mainstream physicists to keep their groundbreaking ideas from flourishing.

And as with any quackery, simply by stating something without any valid evidence is considered to be sufficient enough.

Zz.

I forgot to mention the evil energy companies that are conspiring to keep perpetual motion machines off the market.

juvenal said:
I forgot to mention the evil energy companies that are conspiring to keep perpetual motion machines off the market.
My sarcasm detector appears to be malfunctioning - could you clarify and tell me if you're serious here?

russ_watters said:
My sarcasm detector appears to be malfunctioning - could you clarify and tell me if you're serious here?
It's the comedy stylings of juvenal and ZapperZ. I hear they're doing Vegas this summer.

I'm in dead earnest.:smile:

(Instead of being an Elvis, Barry White, or Elton John impersonator in Vegas, I could be a crank impersonator).

Last edited:
juvenal said:
I'm in dead earnest.:smile:

(Instead of being an Elvis, Barry White, or Elton John impersonator in Vegas, I could be a crank impersonator).
For tickets to the comedy stylings of juvenal and ZapperZ (Who perform onstage as Phizzy and Cranky) call your local Ticketmaster today!

'This Physics is sound, I just need someone to write it in equations;

1. What was the purpose of the Michelson-Morley Experiment?

The purpose of the Michelson-Morley Experiment was to test the existence of the "ether", a hypothetical substance thought to be the medium through which light traveled. This experiment aimed to measure the speed of light in different directions and determine if it was affected by the motion of the Earth through the ether.

2. How did the Michelson-Morley Experiment work?

The experiment utilized an interferometer, which split a beam of light into two perpendicular paths and then recombined them. The idea was that if the speed of light was affected by the motion of the Earth through the ether, the paths would have different lengths and produce an interference pattern. However, the results showed no such interference, indicating that the speed of light was constant regardless of the Earth's motion.

3. What were the results of the Michelson-Morley Experiment?

The results of the experiment were unexpected and revolutionary. They showed that the speed of light is constant in all directions, regardless of the Earth's motion through the ether. This contradicted the prevailing belief at the time and paved the way for the development of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

4. Why is the Michelson-Morley Experiment important?

The Michelson-Morley Experiment is important because it provided evidence against the existence of the "ether" and helped to shape our understanding of the nature of light and space. It also led to the development of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of time and space.

5. Have there been any further experiments related to the Michelson-Morley Experiment?

Yes, there have been many subsequent experiments that have built upon the findings of the Michelson-Morley Experiment. These include the Kennedy-Thorndike Experiment, which further confirmed the constancy of the speed of light, and the Hafele-Keating Experiment, which demonstrated the effects of time dilation predicted by special relativity. These experiments continue to help us better understand the fundamental laws of the universe.