1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crank slider-4 bar linkage

1. Jan 12, 2005 #1
    anybody knows about 4 bar linkage??
    there's a crank and slider mechanism and i need help... i would like to know more about the crank slider and what is it made of?? what is that slider made of?? roller?? 2 bars and a square metal?? help!! thanks alot...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it's in a mechanics textbook, it doesn't matter. It's just a model, it means that the slider is allowed to slide but restrained in other directions of movement.

4. Jan 13, 2005 #3
    emm.. no... what if it's not in the textbook... and i am suppose to make the slider out... do you or anyone have any ideas?? thanks... cos currently i am having my industrial attachment thingy and i am thinking of some machine improvements... and need to design something like that... and i do not know what that thing is actually like.. what i know is just the model and the drawing..

5. Jan 13, 2005 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well I'm not sure I understand.

What are you making? Could you use a smoothed block and some polished surfaces? Perhaps a t-slide? Or just some rollers? If you provide more information we might be able to help!

6. Jan 14, 2005 #5
    it is not easy to explain... emm... cos i am designing some improvements... and i just want to know how a crank slider work and how is it like(for the real) thing...
    i am still designing and i need to know it just to visualise whether it can be fixed onto that machine or not... cos due there is some obstructions, i got to first visualise and see whether will it works..
    thanks so much for your help...

7. Jan 14, 2005 #6
    A normal piston engine is an example of a crank slider. The piston is the slider. The fourth bar in a four bar linkage doesn't move - it is the frame that the other (moving) bars attach to.

8. Jan 16, 2005 #7
    thanks so much for your help, ceptimus... so, is the piston hydraulic?? or pneumatic?? normally for a four bar linkage, a motor is attached to trigger it to move the bars, so for this crank and slider, it is the slider that is using a piston to move the rest of the bars??

9. Jan 16, 2005 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're not making any sense.

A four bar linkage is just a simplification for a mechanism found in many machines, the piston engine is just one of them. In a car engine, the piston is powered by expanding gases being combusted. On something else, the mechanism may be hydraulically actuated, or driven by an electric motor, or by a big hamster wheel, whatever.

Show us your application and we'll show you how it works. Perhaps you have a motor turning your crank, perhaps you have a compressed source pushing a piston, all you've told us is that you're using a four-bar linkage!

10. Jan 18, 2005 #9
    so the four bar linkage is a simplification for mechanism found in machines, i got what you mean. because what i have learnt are those theories part of this four bar linkage and it doesn't tells me that it is the simplification for mechanism found in machines or maybe i didn't make good notice of it.

well, i don't have the application, because i am trying to design out and four bar linkage just come to my mind. what i am going to design is a mechanism that can flip parts (from die casting) when the part is being dropped from the top by a robot arm. i am still learning as i am an IA (industrial attachment) student and that is my task and that is also why i want to know more about this four bar linkage.

you get me now?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?